Progression to anaphylactic?

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 9:55am
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

My son is both "just a little allergic" and "very allergic". He's touch sensitive, we know that, and I think he may be smell sensitive, but that's not really proven. However we are so strict in controlling the allergens that he's never exposed, and honestly, some days, I no longer believe he's allergic. I say he's just a little allergic, cause the only reactions so far (two of them) only made his face red. No problems breathing, no swelling, no hives.

So my question is mainly, how is the progression from small reactions, to anaphylactic? Can it happen even if there are no reactions? Or have your kids had a few reactions that progressed in severity, till boom, anaphylactic?

is there a kid somewhere that went from small reactions before the age of 2, then nothing at all, to anaphylactic without warning?

Sometimes I let him go away without his epipen. My mom lives 2 minutes away on foot from us, and she told me flat out that she wouldn't use the epipen. She's too scared of it. So I let him go there without it. Even though my dad eats peanut butter every morning. They're good in controlling it though.

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 10:34am
cynde's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/10/2002 - 09:00

Our sons history was a few hives around his mouth, the next time hives all over his body. His third reaction was anaphylactic, then his next reaction was even worse (quicker and more severe).
So his was a progression, but I think anyone with the allergy should expect their next reaction to be anaphylactic, I don't think there are any predictors.
[This message has been edited by cynde (edited May 08, 2003).]

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 1:32pm
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

The only person I know with PA is an adult whose mouth always tingled when she ate peanuts. For years, she is in her 60's. One day she ate fries made in Peanut oil and 5 minutes later was in complete cardiac arrest from Anaphylaxis.
No progression, tingling mouth to anaphylaxis.
Peg

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 9:59pm
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

thanks
Peg . Did your acquaintance have a lot of exposure to peanuts? My son has none, as far as we can tell. The only place where he could have something is at his grandparents, but it's very well controlled there. He's homeschooled, and all outside activities are chosen based on ease of avoidance of *all* food.

Posted on: Wed, 05/07/2003 - 11:14pm
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

Darthcleo,
I lost contact with her. I wrote to her recently with no answer so who knows? I suspect she stayed away from eating peanuts but I cannot be sure.
I'm going out on a limb here but one mistake at your mother's house and the two minute trip to you will seem like a lifetime. Two minutes is too long to wait for an epi pen.
I'd get her a trainer and start now. It is so easy since you do not have to take clothes off. And it works so fast and dramatically.
Good luck, I can totally understand your situation.
Peg

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 3:14am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

I would never allow my dd to be with someone who doesn`t know how to use an Epi. My sister refused to learn, and so she has never babysat dd. My dd had a reaction from a food that was on shared equipment with peanuts and not stated. We did not know it was on shared equipment and she had eaten it 100 times with no problem until she had the reaction. I really don`t think avoiding foods that contains peanuts is much of a guarantee that he will never have a reaction. Too many companies make mistakes or don`t state that something is a "may contain". At my daughter`s preschool was a child whose father was allergic to bee stings and didn`t have an Epi. It only took five to seven minutes for him to die from anaphylaxis. My daughter doesn`t go ANYWHERE without an Epi and someone trained to use it.

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 5:00am
Rae's picture
Rae
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2000 - 09:00

My now 6 yo dd ate "may contains", and when she was away from home (her older sister is PA) she ate actual peanut products. She suffered with eczema, so we had her skin tested at age 3. The test revealed "2" to peanut as well as many other allergies.
Although she was not having any obvious reactions to peanuts, we completely kept her away from all peanut products due to her sister's history. At age 5 she had an anaphylactic reaction from accidental exposure. No progression at all. Now, we are starting to suspect airborne reactions.
Rachel
Rachel

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 8:49am
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

No progression at all but if I understand correctly, she was exposed to peanuts before her anaphylactic reaction.
I'm wondering if the allergy reactions do progress if there are no exposure.
Edit:
I just re-read your message. She was exposed from 0 to 3, but after 3 she wasn't. Is that right?
[This message has been edited by darthcleo (edited May 08, 2003).]

Posted on: Thu, 05/08/2003 - 11:33pm
Rae's picture
Rae
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2000 - 09:00

Yes, she was exposed until she was tested at age 3. At that point it only flared up her eczema. She was not exposed from age 3 until her accidental exposure at age 5.
Rachel

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...