poison ivy member of cashew family?

Publish date:
Updated on

On a recent trip to a nature center in FLA we were given a flyer that mentioned poison ivy was a member of the cashew family (news to me)! My DD is severely allergic to cashews - does this mean she could have a violent reaction to poison ivy contact? I have never heard this before! Thanks for the advice.

On Apr 22, 2004

I believe I have heard this as well. It is, as I recall, why you won't find cashews for sale still in the shell -- the shell is loaded w/ that oil/compound that makes people itch.


On Apr 22, 2004

How would you then explain the fact that my son, who gets violent outbreaks of poison ivy every year, eats cashews all the time with no problem?!!


On Apr 22, 2004

2grits, welcome! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

I'm going to re-raise Cayley's Mom's thread called Cross-Reactives under Living with PA.

All of the information re cross-reactives isn't contained in the first post - there were some additions and I believe Cayley's Mom herself added some more information further in the thread as well.

Not sure if the connection between cashews and poison ivy is in there or not, but it's worth a check. It is a great thread. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]


On Apr 22, 2004


One last thing: Sometimes people who are very sensitive to poison ivy will also react to mangoes and cashews while they are suffering from the rash and so they should avoid these foods at that time. In addition, there are some people who have unexplained food allergies and react strongly to poison ivy. If this describes you, you should probably avoid mangoes and cashews at all times.

........................................... Whichever of these plants he came across while playing, the culprit is the same -- an oil called urushiol. This oil is found in the leaves, roots, and twigs of these plants. There is no difference in the rashes, since there is no difference in the cause. (A few other plants contain the same oil in lesser amounts, including the Japanese lacquer tree [and thus some lacquered furniture], the gingko tree, the shells of cashews, the shells of brazil nuts, and the rinds of mangoes -- sensitive individuals would do well to avoid all of these). ............................................ All members of the genus Toxicodendron, including poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac, can cause allergic contact dermatitis. Other members of the Toxicodendron family include cashews, mangos, and pistachios. If you are allergic to cashews, mangos or pistachios, beware of the poison ivys, oaks and sumacs! ............................................ Hope this helps, and welcome!

On Apr 22, 2004

WOW!!!! My son is VERY allergic to cashews. However, he has NEVER reacted poison ivy, oak, or sumac.

His younger brother gets the rash ALL the time. I can't keep him out of the woods/weeds...he is a very active kid.

On Apr 22, 2004

I used to eat cashews at times, but eat a lot of mango when it's on sale.

Currently fighting a terrible outbreak of poison ivy on my body right now. I'm on prednisone for 6 days, but NOTHING HELPS THE ITCH. That is, until I got desparate an hour ago and mixed up some oatmeal in cold water and gave myself a sponge style oatmeal bath. That is the only thing giving me anti-itch relief. I used a product called Ivarest (or something like that) but didn't look at the ingredients. Probably had Neosporin, to which I'm also allergic to. Tossed that out after one day. So I'm in for another awful night's sleep, my third in a row.

Guess I'll skip the mangoes this week.

On Apr 23, 2004

Thanks for the info - I used to post on here a couple of years ago when we were first going through this allergy with my DD but now I just read the info from other people to see what's new. My DD is allergic to pnuts, cashews and pecans but we avoid all nuts. Now we will avoid the back corners of our yard too - there's lots of poison ivy back there!

On Apr 23, 2004

I definately agree about being more cautious now! With my son experiencing anaphylactic reaction to peanuts & cashews...also testing VERY allergic to pistachios, I think I will be also. I guess I should keep him away from mangoes also since they are in the same family.

On Apr 23, 2004

WOW I did not know this.

I saw some post about mangos and TNA. My Pa ds is also TNA should I keep him away from mangos?

Thanks for the info.....I would have never guessed

------------------ Have A Great Day

On Apr 23, 2004

Hmmm... I've been severely allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac all my life. I even get it systemically if its burned. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/redface.gif[/img] [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/eek.gif[/img] I have [b][i]never[/b][/i] had any problems with cashews.

However, mango's make my tongue swell, so I don't eat them. No other reaction, though.

Although, I do admit, I've never eaten cashews [i]while[/i] I had poison ivy. Or mangos. Don't like mango's anyway. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img]


On Apr 23, 2004

I can relate to "severely" allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac. I just had to go back to the doctor today because the medium strength prednisone was not doing a darn thing, just keeping major swelling down but the rash keeps spreading and spreading.

Soooooo...she gave me a shot at the office today, and put me on high-dose prednisone. Skipped those mangoes today at the store, but now I'm in house-cleaning mode, that is, when I'm not thinking about how bad I'm itching.

I can't recall ever eating mangoes or cashews as well during a severe poison ivy reaction either. But we don't eat tree nuts anymore anyway.