Posted on: Mon, 05/12/2008 - 4:55am
peanutgal1996's picture
Joined: 05/12/2008 - 11:13

I am extremely allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and I am slightly allergic to eggs, but only scrambled eggs or uncooked eggs. Yesterday, when I came home from school, I had a slice of birthday cake that my mom had homemade for me. My mom is my number one protector, and we haven't had peanuts, tree nuts, or anything like that in our house for twelve years. So anyways, about 5 minutes after eating half of the slice, my throat started to itch like it does when I have an anaphylactic reaction. I took a benadryl, and the itching died down just a smidge. By this time I was drinking a lot of water because my throat had started to feel think. We called 911, and I was brought to the hospital and was given an IV. I did not have use the EPIPEN. I really don't know what happened? There is no chance in the world that there could have been any peanut in the cake. The only other thing I did do though was lick the candles, but I don't know what that would do. Please give your opinion or suggestion. I need your help.

Posted on: Mon, 05/12/2008 - 7:33am
niche's picture
Joined: 02/05/2007 - 09:00

Hi, I am sorry about your reaction that sounds pretty scary. If my son told me his throat was feeling tight I would give him the epi but he is only 6 and hard to tell from a 6 year old how they are really feeling.
So, I am thinking it could be a number of things. Did your mom use a mix? if so does she still have the box? Companies do make mistakes and it could have been cross contaminated. If it was from scratch I'm not sure. Could your egg allergy be getting worse? Or could you be developing a new allergy?
Are you contact sensitive is it possible you touched something on the way home then ate the cake and licked your fingers?
I can't think of anything else right now. I am glad you are ok and feeling better.

Posted on: Mon, 05/12/2008 - 8:35am
Krusty Krab's picture
Joined: 04/20/2007 - 09:00

Did your mom use a box mix for the cake? If so, was it from a manufacturer that labels clearly for 'may contains' and 'made in a facility that handles....'? If not, I would assume there would be a certain amount of risk for cross contamination with peanut or tree nut. Nevermind the fact that there was egg in the cake, something you are known to be allergic to, yet eat.
Of course, severity of allergies can change. One day an egg allergic person may not react to cooked egg, and down the road, the allergy worsens and he/she may begin to react to all egg.
There are many, many anaphylactic egg allergies out there.
My best advise is to revisit your allergist for retesting and consultation. And never, never use the wait and see approach with epi pens. It is ALWAYS better to use the pen. If I had a child who began to experience throat tightening, the epi would be out in a flash. Period. Swelling of the airways is never to be guessed over or messed with.
I'm very glad you're alright.

Posted on: Fri, 06/13/2008 - 7:57pm
williamsmummy's picture
Joined: 03/26/2002 - 09:00

This is quite a common problem for those who cant tolorate partially cooked eggs.
Even those who have had egg allergy and outgrown it will still find a tingle in throat after eating high egg containing product.
What I think happened in your case, was the fact that your mother baked the cake at home, perhaps the v high heat needed to change the egg protein, didnt hit some areas of the sponge.
Its the fault , perhaps of your mums oven!
This has happened to my son over the years, he has always found a manufactuered cake to be safe to eat with out a egg reaction.
Of course we are very limited to which small cakes are free of his other allergens.
He does avoid reactions if I make small cupcakes , and cook them well. its the large homemade ones that seem to trigger a reaction.
The same is true of home made quiche, not cooked enough /too high egg. But store brought quiche has special type of egg mixture that is heat treated. So he enjoys some of those, rather than home made.
Other areas of nasty egg reactions have been in sneaky egg white slipped on top of cakes as part of ingreidant decorations...............
I cant remember what age you are, but egg allergy can take some years to grow out of , or may stay with just well cooked allergy being safe.
Some of couse , dont even have that choice.
I have heard of children of 12 outgrowing egg allergy, but havent heard of much behond that, but I am not that up to date on recent egg studies. Things may of changed.
my son outgrew cooked egg allergy at 7 , outgrew raw/partially cooked at 10.
He was told that he would never enjoy a heavy dose of egg, would get mild tingle in throat, but it wouldnt cause anaphylaxis.
He is now 12 yrs, and certainly we have found this to be the case.
When were you last tested? Do you feel the need to ask an allergist some more questions about your egg allergy?

Posted on: Fri, 06/13/2008 - 11:31pm
Mrsdocrse's picture
Joined: 01/16/2007 - 09:00

Hi There... glad you are alright
My son outgrew his egg white allergy at about age 4. He could always tolerate it when cooked but not raw. He now eats cooked eggs and ate raw egg white... by accident - no reaction. then tested negitive to it. That being said I think if the cake was not from a box mix, then I would suspect that maybe the raw egg came into contact with the candles or with the frosting?
my best guess but you may want to check with your allergist.
good luck

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...