Pediatric v. Non-ped AND board certified v. non


So - I've finally gotten around to having my son's allergies actually tested. My pediatrician sent out a referral to an allergist, i'd imagine they use the same specialist for everyone. So... The one they sent him to i just have a weird vibe after getting off the phone and scheduling the appointment. the referral specified one dr in this group, but i was told that due to the specific insurance i have it would be "better" to see one of the others. this sorta rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I had my son's blood drawn for RAST, but was told the office does spt, and when i explained that i wasnt comfortable doing SPT on my 11month old son, she said, "well, what do you want, just a consultation then?" like she was annoyed with my decision?

im not sure exactly what, but I already have a sour taste in my mouth about this particular doctor, if not the entire office. so i hopped on the BOMEX site to look both the one the ped's office specified (dr g), and the one they scheduled me with (dr g). Dr. G. is neither a pediatric allergist OR board certified for the specialty (obviously board certified MD though). Dr S. is not a ped allergist, OR board certified for allergist, but IS certified for internal medicine (obviously not why we're going either).

Then, I did a search specifically for ped allergists, and 3 came up - 1 doesnt take my insurance, 1 was suspended and now has a ton of restrictions on him in order to practice, and the 3rd i had to deal with when I was prego dealing with allergies, and i didnt care for him much either. he seemed to take good care of me, however there was a tremendous language barrier and it was VERY difficult to understand him, and he didnt seem to take me all that seriously.

So... Does anyone have any ideas with which of the above to go to? Does it matter if theyre specifically pediatric allergists or is just an allergist okay? what about certified for the specialty or not?

Thanks in advance! So many of you have been dealing with this soo much longer than me, I appreciate all the info and feedback!

On Jul 19, 2008


I'm wondering the same thing!!

On Jul 27, 2008

I know that my personal allergist also treats children. If I did not already have a ped allergist I would take my children to see my allergist with out giving it a second thought.

I would be hesitant to take them to an allergist that only had other adults as patients though.

I am sorry I do not really have an answer.

On Sep 22, 2008

I am an allergy physician and get this question a lot. If a physician is board certified in allergy then they are trained to see both kids and adults. To be trained as an allergist you must have completed training in pediatrics or internal medicine. The label "Pediatric allergist" just means that someone most likely completed pediatric training and then did an allergy fellowship and would like to see more pediatric patients than adults in their practice, which is the case for me. Hope this helps.