Peanut/Tree Nut Free Cookies 2007

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 7:13am
KBMOM's picture

I'm actually working on a safe list right now. Here's what I have come up with, but only from reading labels and researching the company websites. So if anyone else knows to the contrary, please share.

Keebler
E.L. Fudge (Double Stuffed & Original)
Graham Crackers Bug Bites

Nabisco
Barnum's Animal Crackers
Biscos Sugar Wafers Creme Filling
Chip Ahoy! (Chewy, Chocolate Chip, Chunky, Oatmeal Chewy, Reduced Fat, Soft Baked Chunky and White Fudge Chunky)
Fig Newton's
Ginger Snaps
Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies
Nilla Wafers
Pin Wheels Pure Chocolate & Marshallow
Oreo's (Except Peanut Butter Creme)
Snack Well's (Cookie Cakes: Devil's Food Fat Free, Creme Sandwich, Lemon Creme Sugar Free and Shortbread Sugar Free)
Teddy Grahams (Any Flavor)

UNSAFE: All Famous Amos (Any Flavor), Mother's Cookies (Any Flavor), Grandma's Cookies (Any Flavor), Safeway Cookies (Any Flavor), Safeway Select Cookies (Any Flavor) and Stauffer's Animal Crackers.

Also UNSAFE: Costco Bakery Cookies, Sam's Club Bakery Cookies and any Market Bakery Cookies (i.e. Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons, etc...)

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 8:05am
mistey's picture

Just a reminder that this is your comfort zone, but no everyone's. My son reacted to something made by Kraft, which I believe makes Nabisco. After his reaction they stated that they run foods containing peanut on the same equipment with "peanut-free" products.
You may consider them safe. But I do not.

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 8:19am
kandomom's picture

DARE is a Canadian company that makes cookies and crackers in a peanut/tree nut free facility.
I have seen the DARE crackers in many US stores (Costco) and the cookies are available in some US stores too.

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 8:20am
KBMOM's picture

Thanks for your insight Mistey! I wasn't aware to be concern with Kraft. For me, any products with labels stating the below phrases are considered UNSAFE:
"May contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts."
"Processed in a plant that process peanuts and tree nuts."
"Manufactoured in a facility that uses peanuts or tree nuts."
"Made on equipment shared with peanuts and tree nuts."
And of course, if a peanut or tree nut is listed as an ingredient it is UNSAFE.
So like you, I'm not comfortable with the fact the company stated that they run foods containing peanuts on the same equipment with "peanut-free" products.
I will be calling them to get further clarification and product specific as possible. Again, thank you.

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 9:45am
gw_mom3's picture

There are other safe Keebler cookies. I know we had one that looked like shortbread and had a circle of chocolate in the center (not a sandwich cookie).
------------------
==============
[b]~Gale~[/b]

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 2:26pm
Corvallis Mom's picture

Quote:Originally posted by KBMOM:
[b]Thanks for your insight Mistey! I wasn't aware to be concern with Kraft. For me, any products with labels stating the below phrases are considered UNSAFE:
"May contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts."
"Processed in a plant that process peanuts and tree nuts."
"Manufactoured in a facility that uses peanuts or tree nuts."
"Made on equipment shared with peanuts and tree nuts."
And of course, if a peanut or tree nut is listed as an ingredient it is UNSAFE.
So like you, I'm not comfortable with the fact the company stated that they run foods containing peanuts on the same equipment with "peanut-free" products.
I will be calling them to get further clarification and product specific as possible. Again, thank you.[/b]
Not to take this thread [i]too[/i] far off-track, but when you say..."For me, any products with labels stating the below phrases..." what if the label [i]doesn't[/i] use one of those statements, though it is [i]true, nonetheless?[/i]
Just a comfort zone thing that you'll need to figure out. Are cleaned lines in your comfort zone? It sounds like not. But (from experience) you may be spending a LOT of time on the phone to figure out which companies use advisory labeling and what it means to them.
Be aware.
Many many companies DO NOT DISCLOSE shared lines. And no current law says they must.

Posted on: Mon, 06/18/2007 - 3:07pm
KBMOM's picture

I appreciate your feedback Corvallis Mom.
[This message has been edited by KBMOM (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posted on: Tue, 06/19/2007 - 7:21am
solarflare's picture

Safeway's Fudge Stripe Cookies are peanut/tree nut free (also milk and egg free). Someone over at KWFA called corporate about them and got a straight answer back in January of this year. No nuts in the factory at all.
------------------
Cheryl, mom to Jason (9 MFA including peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, coconut, sesame, squid)
Joey (7 NKA)
Allison (4 milk allergic, suspect shellfish, avoiding PN/TN for now)
Ryan (1) nka *knock on wood*

Posted on: Fri, 06/22/2007 - 8:29am
Daneg4575's picture

I want to buy Keebler cookies but I keep seeing all the other cookies with peanut butter and nuts and it freaks me out! Do we know that some are made in a different facility? or just washed lines?

Posted on: Fri, 06/22/2007 - 11:39am
gw_mom3's picture

Keebler will label if something is made in a shared facility with peanuts or tree nuts.
------------------
==============
[b]~Gale~[/b]

Posted on: Fri, 06/22/2007 - 11:44am
PinkPoodle's picture

Keebler does not share lines and if they do, they will label for it. I call frequently and I am always given a quick and consistent answer from Keebler.
Nabisco DOES run virtually everything on shared lines and they do "an allergen wash" between shared lines. It took me several phone calls to get that answer after my DD reacted to a Chips Ahoy cookie (the original). The first few customer service reps said "If there are any of the top 8 allergens, it will be stated on the package"---they definitely do not label for shared lines.
Also, even if you consider shared lines safe, there are several Oreos that list peanut flour and some of the smaller packages---it makes no sense to me, but I guess I have no idea what food manufacturing entails. It seems to me it would be easier to keep all of the nut products and nut-free products separate (???)--again I am quite ignorant as to how things work in food manufacturing.
So, after several phone calls to Nabisco, they finally choked out that the Chips Ahoy cookies we had were run on a line that ran Nutter Butters (I think that is the name of the cookie) earlier that day. I wish I had known to contact the FDA, FAAN, and send the cookies away for testing at that time, but I didn't.
No Nabisco for us. I also think their labeling stinks and is much harder to read---no bold, no statement at the bottom. I would much rather spend my money on Keebler. They make so many safe choices, including a cookie that is like Oreos (it is new) and it is called Keebler Dunkins. Call them and then call Nabisco---specifically ask them about shared lines, allergen washing, etc...You'll be pleasantly surprised at how aware Keebler is.
BTW--I don't work for Keebler or know anyone who works for them [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] I'm just very impressed at how far their labeling and allergen awareness has come. I love companies that make my DD's life easier and more kid-friendly! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Nicole

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...