Peanut Residue and Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel

Posted on: Tue, 06/15/1999 - 10:23am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

We use the Instant Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel and soaps all the time--the Hand Gel especially when out in public. Although it kills germs in 30 seconds without water, is it enough to get rid of peanuts/peanut butter residue off of someone's hand who has eaten it?

Has anyone else wondered about this also?

I would love any feedback on this!

Posted on: Tue, 06/15/1999 - 11:27am
brenda's picture
Joined: 01/22/1999 - 09:00

Hi Connie,
I can't remember who told me this info (it was either FAN or the nurse at the allergist's office), but they said those instant hand gels do NOT remove peanut residue!!! They said use either soap and water or baby wipes (wipes are convenient to have when out in public).

Posted on: Tue, 06/15/1999 - 11:28am
kellyh's picture
Joined: 05/27/1999 - 09:00

Hi Connie. My husband and I do not rely on hand sanitizer because its just for germs. I use handiwipes. I, too, have wondered about it and decided not to risk it.

Posted on: Tue, 06/15/1999 - 9:14pm
Christine's picture
Joined: 02/03/1999 - 09:00

Hand sanitizer would not do the trick. Since peanut residue is not a germ, it cannot be killed. The residue actually has to be removed with force; i.e, scrubbing with soap and water or, if soap is unavailable, scrubbing under a forceful stream of water.

Posted on: Wed, 06/16/1999 - 2:34am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Thank you all for the information!
We will stick with the baby wipes and good ole fashion soap and water!
Thanks again!
[This message has been edited by Connie (edited June 16, 1999).]

Posted on: Wed, 06/16/1999 - 6:06am
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

We follow the soap and warm water practice. If water is not available, we use handwipes and follow up with handwashing before eating anything.
From what I have been told, the reason for soap and water is as follows: Detergents loosen and lift proteins. The friction from handwashing with a detergent based product allows the proteins to be washed away.

Posted on: Wed, 06/16/1999 - 9:53am
Shan's picture
Joined: 04/05/1999 - 09:00

Hi. I don't know if anyone has seen these in the grocery store, but there is a wipe for kids that comes in a purple box. They are usually on the tissue isle. They are wipes that are grape scented and are also anti-baterial. I can't remember the name. I've been buying those for before dd eats when we are out, but for the most part I use plain ole' baby wipes. The kid wipes come in single packs so you can put them in the lunch box, etc. Does anyone know if the plain baby wipes are anti-baterial or if any brand makes these?

Posted on: Wed, 06/16/1999 - 9:34pm
Christine's picture
Joined: 02/03/1999 - 09:00

Regarding the whole issue of "antibacterial"--recently I have read several articles regarding the overuse of antibacterial products. There is concern that too much use of antibacterial products is now causing the average bacteria to become resistant to the products. The bacteria are mutating against these products. The articles I have read have stated that you should only use the antibacterial wipes/gels when you do not have access to soap and water. If you are in a restaurant or public place that has soap and water faclities you should use these over the antibacterial products.

Posted on: Tue, 06/22/1999 - 8:18am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Thanks for the information on anti-bacterial products. I remember hearing about the problems surrounding these soaps/gels but never really paid attention to it. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks again, everyone, for your replies!
Stay Safe!

Posted on: Sat, 06/26/1999 - 11:01am
Tammy Lynn's picture
Joined: 06/26/1999 - 09:00

PLEASE, be very careful wiping off PB faces and hands. Wiping PB off with a wipe will not get all the allergen off. The wipe will kill germs but peanut allergen is a protein and will not be killed by antibacterial wipes or hand sanitizers. Proteins can be denatured by different processes (ie heat) but soap and water is the best bet to get it off. Our allergist said some people believe peanut oil, because it is heated is fine but he wouldn't trust it.
Tammy Lynn

Posted on: Fri, 01/15/2010 - 12:02pm
kcooper247's picture
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 12:07

I'm glad you had this topic. I work in a grocery store, and was under the impression that hand sanitizer would neutralize the peanut oil I came in contact with. But,after while I started using a paper towel to handle the peanut oil jugs. Thanks again for the infomation.


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...