Peanut Allergy? - Peanut Allergy Information

Peanut Allergy?

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

HI! I am posting about my 17 month old son who recently had a "reaction" to eating peanut butter for the first time. After about 15 minutes he broke out in full body hives and his entire face and hand swelled. No breathing problems though. His pediatrician examined him and said, "No worry, these things happen. Just keep some Benadryl around." Well, needless to say, I am very worried and feel we need to follow up with an allergist. What do you think? Am I overreacting?

Thanks, Tara

On May 25, 2001

Hello and Welcome Tara,

No, you are certainly Not overreacting. You son is allergic to peanuts and needs to be prescribed an Epi-Pen ASAP. My son had one prescribed when he was 11 months old (the day of his skin prick test). If your allergist or doctor will not prescribe it, find another one who will.

I'm glad you found this website! Words cannot describe how helpful this site is and how compassionate and informed the people here are. Just take a deeeep breath and browse around the boards. Sometimes the stories can be frightening, but many times they are filled with hope and praise.

Again, I'm glad you found us! I've come to think of everyone here as my second family, and I'm sure in time, you will too.

Jennifer

On May 25, 2001

NO NO NO you are not overreacting. My daughter had a similar reaction at 14 mos. On her first taste of peanut butter her face swelled, particularly her mouth and eyes, and she had hives all over her body. She did not have any breathing problems. The speed of the reaction scared me so much that we called 911 and took her to the ER in an ambulance. The doctor kept her for a couple hours for observation because reactions can continue and worsen hours after ingestion. In the ER the doctor told us that it was a good sign that she didn't have breathing problems, since allergies usually result in either respiratory or skin problems, but not both. However, this is NOT true. We followed up with my pediatrician, who sent us to an allergist. He told us that the fact that her lips and tongue swelled means that mucous membranes were involved in the reaction, not just skin (hives). He did a scratch test with the solution diluted 10 times, and she had a very strong reaction. He diagnosed her as being anaphylactic, and said we should carry the epipen at all times and she should wear a MedicAlert bracelet. This is not an allergy to take lightly, as you can see from the boy who died last week in Spokane. Listen to your instinct and go to an allergist.

On May 25, 2001

Sorry, double posted.

[This message has been edited by Kim M (edited May 25, 2001).]

On May 30, 2001

Just bringing important topics up!

------------------ Karalot

Related