PB at baby class today

Posted on: Tue, 01/23/2001 - 6:32am
Triciasmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/03/2000 - 09:00

pPatricia and I are in a toddler class through the local tech school. Today was our first day. The instructor knows that Patricia is PA, but still, the craft project today was making a bagel birdfeeder. There was PB mixed with crisco to spread on the bagel and then dip in birdseed. I almost turned around and quit the class right there. /p
pBut for some stupid reason, I stayed. Everyone promised to be careful. Why, oh why did I stay?! Patricia didn't want to be anywhere near the table. And she never came into direct contact with the PB. But toward the end of the classtime, she started developing hives on her face. I immediately gave her Benedryl. After about a half hour, the hives disappeared./p
pBut how could I be so stupid?! Toddlers aren't careful. It doesn't take much PB to cause a reaction. It could have been a lot worse. The instructor told me that she wouldn't do any more PB activities. And a lot of the moms asked me about PA and allergies in general, so it was a good chance to educate them about PA./p
pOh well, thanks for listening./p
pAmy/p

Posted on: Tue, 01/23/2001 - 9:43am
Joanne's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/22/1999 - 09:00

Amy, don't be too hard on yourself. Tricia had a reaction that you were able to successfully manage.
I've found myself in situations with PA that in hindsight I would have handled differently. I just try to figure out what I'll do the next time the situation comes up and look upon it as a learning experience.
Your instinct was to leave, so maybe you'll feel more comfortable trusting your instinct next time. She did develop hives around so much peanut butter, so you can point to this incident in the future as a reason why she can't be in a situation where a peanut butter project is being done because you know she will most likely have some type of reaction. You also said you used this as a chance to educate some people about PA, which is always a good thing.
Good luck!

Posted on: Tue, 01/23/2001 - 11:35pm
Heather's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/08/2006 - 09:00

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. I remember not too long ago at a family function, my husband's cousin picked my son up and stood him on the dessert table (shoes and all) and fed the child Trifle right out of the bowl (it was a dessert buffet). My instincts were shouting at me 'don't let him do that' but I didn't want to come off sounding like a mean witch. Later I found out my SIL put some suspect chocolate in the Trifle. Although nothing happened, I spent a lot of time beating myself up over allowing it. Then I realized that that's not very productive. The only thing I can do is look at it as a learning experience and know I won't handle it the same way again.

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Anxious food allergic kids, understandably concerned about avoiding allergens, can become so restrictive in their food choices that weight loss...

Peanuts are classified as legumes, as are chickpeas. Does this mean a child with a peanut allergy needs to avoid eating chickpeas? As with many...

A young food allergic child is unlikely to say, “My throat is swelling and I’m having difficulty swallowing - I think I’m having an allergic...

Approximately one out of 13 children under age 18 are allergic to at least one food, though many of them will outgrow their allergy by the age of...

So many wonderful recipes call for peanut butter. These recipes can still be enjoyed by experimenting with peanut butter replacements.

...