Hi, I am 35 years old and had my first anaphylactic reaction on New Year's morning. I was eating toast with peanut butter and jam on it -- something I eat about 3 days a week. I know that it was the peanut butter, as I have eaten all other ingredients from that morning since then. I am hoping that the reaction may simply have been to peanut butter that had gone bad.... although I would've expected a digestive reaction to that rather than what I got.
I have an upcoming appointment with an allergist, but someone told me he might refuse to test me, so as not to expose me again. But then what's the point? I'm not going to avoid peanuts for the rest of my life without even knowing for sure that I AM allergic! Question: Since I am going to insist on being tested, what tests should I get? I know of blood tests and skin tests. What is a RAST test, and can it tell you HOW allergic you are? Can the blood and scratch tests determine HOW allergic you are? I don't mind going through another bad reaction, if it will give me the absolute answer I need. Any advice? PS I have a very low tolerance for milk products. I was constantly sick with tonsilitis, strep, throat infections for the first 20 years of my life. THe doctors said I was not allergic to milk. But when I avoided it I never got sick. It seems to affect my immune system. Also, most food irritates my throat -- I have to chew sugarless gum after I eat anything, to prevent mucus buildup in my throat. Can't help but wonder if it isn't all related.....
On Feb 11, 2000
I would just discuss this with your allergist. He/she should be able to help you decide what to do.