Hi, I'm 19, almost 20 from canada and recently I've been learning more about immunotherapy. I have a few questions, and was hoping I could get some help with answers, as I'm hoping this is potentially something that could help with my anaphylaxis to Peanuts and Tree nuts. I'm wondering how immunotherapy and the treatments work. I'm awae of the risk of a reaction, what am wondering about other risks, as well as the likelihood of a reaction. I am also wondering if anyone has undergone treatment? And if so, what life changes are made after successful treatment. Thanks in advance for you help!
By PeanutAllergy.com on Jan 28, 2015
Question of the Week: Answered!
Every week, PeanutAllergy.com answers one of the questions posted in our community.
It’s great that you’re seeking information about new treatments and becoming more aware of your options!
Although strict avoidance of problem foods is the best way to prevent a reaction, recent clinical trials of promising treatments are underway.
In recent news, an immunotherapy patch for peanut allergy teaches the body to have less of an allergic reaction by gradually exposing a patient to the allergen. You can read more about the clinical trials here.
Oral immunotherapy seeks to desensitize peanut allergy patients and offers an opportunity to increase their tolerance of peanut protein. You can read more about the results of oral immunotherapy trials here.
The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology has put immunotherapy as the prime focus of their field of allergy research. You can read more about their developments here.
We have a huge community here at PeanutAllergy.com! Check out this previous discussion between our members about immunotherapy here. You are encouraged to start a new discussion to connect with members who have experience with this treatment.
We asked our Facebook community for some tips and here’s what they had to say.
We hope you find this information helpful and that you find a treatment that’s best suited for you!
By Heatherv on Feb 1, 2015
My 15 year old son just reached maintenance in his peanut immunotherapy. He now eats 8000 milligrams of peanuts daily. He has a RAST score of greater than 100, so he's very allergic. We no longer read labels, or worry about cross contamination. He has his daily "medicine" (16 peanut m&ms) every evening around 8, and then has to stay pretty calm for 3 hours. We "updosed" every 2 weeks in our allergist's office, starting last August. It has been a complete game changer for us.
By peanutallergy88 on Feb 18, 2015
I am currently part of the study for the Viaskin peanut patch. I have been wearing the patch for about 2.5 years now. I apply a new one each day. When I first started this study, I could only tolerate 144 mg of peanuts and had a life threatening reaction. After two years of wearing the patch, I could tolerate 440 mg of peanut and had a non-life threatening reaction.
I strongly urge you to ask your allergist about Viaskin patch. I hope this helps!