47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Fri, 07/21/2006 - 7:39am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

We always thought Shane had environmental allergies. Treated him with daily meds for years. Finally did the 109 stabs to the back and WHOA! No environmental (except cats and mold which he has since outgrown).
I will always remember the allergist's comment: "He is weird, lots of random food allergies."
Was able to stop all daily meds. Evidently, based on the allergist's comment, it is quite common to have environmental along with food allergies.
Have a blessed day,
Bridget

Posted on: Tue, 08/01/2006 - 6:34am
solarflare's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2002 - 09:00

Including preschool, Jason has been in school for 4 years (1 year preschool, k-3).
He's had no reactions at school, and only 1 school related reaction that was from massive amounts of pet dander (field trip to the Guide Dogs for the Blind headquarters). That was delayed onset. We didn't realize he was dog allergic at the time.
------------------
Cheryl, mom to Jason (8 MFA including peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish and egg)
Joey (6 NKA)
Allison (3 MFA including milk, butternut squash, several fruits and suspected shellfish allergies, avoiding tree nuts, RAST - for peanut)
Ryan (born 12/27/05) nka *knock on wood*

Posted on: Mon, 08/07/2006 - 1:40am
k9ruby's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/25/2004 - 09:00

Well Im 15 and school starts at 4 in the uk, but i have had TN anaphylaxis since 7. I have had 2 contact reactions in primary school and 2 or 3 contact reactions in secondary school (secondary starts at year 7 (age 11) and im in year 10, going into 11 (age 15)
these have all been severe/mod hives, although i will get itchy eyes/sneezy nose if i don't take claritin.
[This message has been edited by k9ruby (edited August 07, 2006).]

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 1:07am
kandomom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/12/2006 - 09:00

Years in school (preschool to gr 4)-= 6yrs total.
Reactions at school= None. However, was treated w/ Benedryl at after school (at the school) Brownie meeting. Bit into a granola bar w/ peanuts in it. Nothing happened, but given Benedryl just in case.
Reactions-why/why not?= DD does not have peanut free class/school. The class/teachers/friends knows of her allergy. She moves away from people eating PB for lunch. Washes hands, reads labels, doesn't eat what is not approved by me.

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 1:47am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

4 years (K-3) and no reactions that I can recall.
I think the key has been that EVERYone involved with our son has been educated about PA and its severity. They don't want to take any chances.
Edited to add: Well, the school has been wonderful about "taking no chances" but the PTA has been a different story. The difference? They have NOT been educated. Why not? It wasn't really an issue until this past year. If it looks like this year may follow in last year's footsteps (i.e. "What's the big deal? Why is she so against having food in school?" etc...) we will have to have a little class on FAs at the PTA meeting. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] BTW, the school handled the PTA just fine in terms of keeping the food out altogether or safe for everyone - not just my son - but maybe a little more educating would help everybody. We'll see how things go this coming year.
[This message has been edited by Lam (edited July 14, 2006).]

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 1:54am
Gail W's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/06/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by csc:
[b]How many years has your child gone to school? [/b]
Mariah will be entering 7th grade so, 7 years of full-day public school, plus 2 years of half day pre-school (3 day/week).
[b]How many reactions has your child had at school?[/b]
She's had about a dozen reactions at school, with 9 of them occurring in 1st grade. None of her reactions are what I'd consider 'anaphylactic'. . . they involved hives, itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, etc. ; no mouth or breathing involved. All episodes resolved with benadryl.
[b]If your child has had a reaction at school, if you can, could you be more specific, if you know the cause/source?[/b]
Based on her symptoms, we believe all her reactions were from contact. The source was never really determined, but we believe it was because the teacher was lax and did not enforce a "nut free" classroom. All subsequent years had "food free" classrooms and Mariah did not have any more reactions.
[b]If you child has reacted at school, again, do you think there is a reason(s) why?[/b]
I believe her reactions were from peanut residue in her classroom.

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 1:56am
starlight's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2004 - 09:00

For me, 18 years of school (including college), no reactions. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
I ate in the cafeteria (eating the cafeteria food), at non-peanut free tables. No peanut free classrooms. My best friend who sat about 6 inches from me had something with peanuts every day. My roommate would eat PB in our room, confined to her bed, and I'd wetwipe the phone, door, sink handles, etc. afterward when she'd go to the bathroom.
I went to school before the PA explosion, so there were no 504's, no IEP's, no knowledge of the "traces can cause reactions" concept.
Sometimes I think that NOT having taken any precautions is what helped me not to react. Upped my resistance a bit, like SLIT or the Duke study. The traces I was exposed to in everyday life raised my tolerance level. But then, my only two reactions (aside from the giant SPT welt) were to PB candies that were actually in my mouth. So I could have just had a high tolerance to begin with. Who knows.

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 2:37am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

DD 1 yr preschool = reaction free
1 yr Kindergarten = 10 contact reactions
1 yr First grade = 3 contact reactions + resurgence of eczema (not sure if it's from peanut or dust exposure, but definitely correllates with school)
DS 1 yr preschool = reaction free
Cathy
------------------
Mom to 7 yr old PA/TNA daughter and 3 1/2 yr old son who is allergic to eggs.

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 3:17am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Shane is going into grade 8. His first (3) reactions were at daycare (under 1 year old). It wasn't until the third reaction we figured it out!
One contact reaction at school (non-ana). It was in the classroom serving treats. All the rest of his reactions he has been at home or out with DH &/or me.
Best part - no reactions at all in about 5 years! However still tests as highly allergic (SPT test only).
Starlight, I agree. At the same time each exposure has caused a greater reaction. So it is certainly a double-edged sword!!
Have a blessed day,
Bridget

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 4:30am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

DS is going into 3rd grade. He had no reactions that I think had anything to do w/ peanuts. In the spring I got a call from the school nurse (while I was chaperoning my DD's field trip, over an hour away). He had hives, was playing in a grassy field. He had no other symptoms, hives went away with benedryl, there was no other reason to suspect that he was exposed to peanuts, and considering he was playing in grass and weeds, I would assume that was the real cause. The nurse felt she should assume peanuts, but after speaking to me only gave benedryl, no epi.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...