47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Sat, 07/15/2006 - 9:30pm
PurpleCat's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/28/2006 - 09:00

DD entering 2nd grade this fall.
Knock on wood, all school reactions have been contact and resolved with Benedryl and Cortaid.
Most significant was from using money (coins) in her classroom. She rubbed her eyes with her hands this time so the reaction went beyond hives and itching. Her eyes were watering, swollen and red. School nurse figured this out, washed the coins and all was fine in Math class for the rest of the year.
Other reactions were from sitting on something, or a friend touching her after eating offending food.
DD very smart and aware, will immediately go to the nurse and know what she has been touched with.
------------------
Keep Smiling
DD - allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, and egg

Posted on: Sun, 07/16/2006 - 5:55am
starlight's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/2004 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by CVRTBB:
[b]1st Grade= Anaphalactic Reaction to a bunny brought in for show and tell (did not know he was allergic to rabbits). [/b]
Wow. Does he have a lot of environmental allergies? Asthma? Are they under control? Have you had him tested for other allergies like latex? I imagine if he's allergic to a lot of environmentals, that may be why he's so sensitive to residues (like he's already having an allergic reaction to pollen/dust, so his body isn't able to handle the residue). Almost like an OAS response, kwim? Considering he's anaphylaxed to residues and things like Chips Ahoy, which don't generally cause full blown anaphylaxis.
I just feel so bad for him, having so many anaphylactic reactions already at such a young age. I can't imagine how horrible these reactions are for your family, considering how sad I feel for him just reading about it.
Anyway, not the reason I was posting. I was really just wondering if he tested really high for rabbits, because LOTS of rabbit/small animal foods have peanuts and tree nuts in it. Did he touch the rabbit by any chance, or could the kid with the rabbit have brought the rabbit's food along, or not washed his hands after handling the food and smeared residue?

Posted on: Sun, 07/16/2006 - 6:10am
bethc's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/18/2005 - 09:00

1 year of school, no reactions.
Peanut-free classroom. 1 kid brought peanut candy for himself once, intercepted by teacher quickly. Supportive teachers and school district nurse with a clear prevention and treatment plan. Kids in the classroom all required to wash hands upon arriving at school (right after lunchtime). Half-day kindergarten, so no school lunch, only snack time. Ate only food provided by me (alternative treat bag kept in the classroom for birthday treat times) and a few things I checked out that the teachers provided on special occasions.

Posted on: Sun, 07/16/2006 - 9:53am
CVRTBB's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/23/2001 - 09:00

Yes, he does have asthma but it is very well controlled most of the time. He does have a lot of environmental allergies, but is also anaphalactic to cats. He held the bunny and everywhere it touched was blistery red and welted with hives. It was a definate contact reaction from touching it. It is the same reaction he has from touching cats (which he did twice in his entire life- first time at 3 yrs old before we knew he was allergic and second time at 5 years old, he couldn't resist a cute little kitty at a friends house). He has not entered a house that the family owned a cat since he was 5. I am now allergic to them also.
Gotta run, HTH.
Valerie
PS: Yes, I feel horrible that he has had so many severe reactions. I try so hard to keep him safe... but it never seems to be good enough. We just changed churches over the allergy issue (among other things).

Posted on: Sun, 07/16/2006 - 10:07am
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

bryce has been in school for 5 years now and chase in school for 2 years. we have only had a couple "minor" reactions at school involving contact and possible inhalation. we have never...thank goodness...dealt with either of them accidentally ingesting anything containing peanuts at school. i hope this never becomes our reality.
so far...so good. we've had lots of help from parents,kids and staff (especially in the last two to three years). the first couple of years were much more difficult as the school learned about PA along with me. now we are doing much better.

Posted on: Tue, 07/18/2006 - 6:50am
hereandnow's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/24/2004 - 09:00

My DS has been in school for 6 years. He has had no reactions at school so far. His classrooms were all peanut free and he was at a peanut free table for 4 1/2 years.
He goes to middle school next year--I really hope the track record keeps going so well. Whole new scene.
He is RAST >100.

Posted on: Wed, 07/19/2006 - 7:55am
iansmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2001 - 09:00

Counting preschool and kindergarten, Ian has been in school for 2 years. The preschool was entirely nut-free before we got there, and he had no reactions that year. For kindergarten, he had a nut-free classroom and sat at a nut-free table in the cafeteria. He had one reaction about a month before the end of the year, probably due to residue on his nut-free table. I suspect it had been used by students eating PB at previous lunch periods. He had hives for 3 days, and this was the first reaction he'd had in 4 years.

Posted on: Wed, 07/19/2006 - 8:36am
qdebbie1's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/10/2005 - 09:00

Preschool and elementary school
6 years
one reaction
at the one and only peanut free school he ever attended.
they served mint oreos by mistake.
mint oreo's had peanut flour as the second to the last ingredient(they no longer do).
He had 1/2 of one cookie, approx 1/4 of a serving.
Gives you and idea of how little it takes.

Posted on: Thu, 07/20/2006 - 11:48pm
saknjmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2003 - 09:00

Was in preschool for 2.5 years with mystery hives (mostly before we knew about his FA). He has gone through K, 1 & 2 with no reactions at school or home thank God.

Posted on: Fri, 07/21/2006 - 1:23am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

starlight, wow, I just caught an interesting ? you've raised in my mind, which I'm not sure if I've ever raised here (and that's pretty hard to do [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] ). How many of our PA children have environmental allergies which may or may not affect how they react PA wise? Wow. It usually doesn't take me a few days to see a question that is so loudly speaking to me from the screen!
My PA son does have environmental allergies. He was diagnosed with them about 6 months after his PA diagnosis.
Would you care to raise the ? or may I have your permission to do so?
(Man, am I ever losing my touch [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img] ).
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------
If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I would walk up to heaven and bring you back home with me.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...