Hi! My name is Jessica, and we recently found out that my 2 year old daughter, Darcy, has a peanut allergy! She took a bite of her cousin's peanut butter sandwich and reacted immediately, ended up in an ambulance to the hospital, it was the scariest experience of my life. After an allergy test confirming that she is PA only, I have an epipen for her. I hope I never have to use it! But I'm nervous about taking her to restaurants and stuff. Are the management and waitstaff generally understanding of people with food allergies? Most places I've gone to and asked about peanut oil or what have you, the employee had no idea. So if anyone could tell me about a general dining out experience with a PA toddler, that would be great!
By kmc40 on Jan 25, 2013
Jessica, we found out that our son was allergic to peanuts , pretty close to the same way you did. No matter where we go I always ask the staff about peanuts and peanut oil. I also tell the waitstaf that my son is severly allergic to peanuts as well. If the front staff does not know about the oil or other things, I ask them to speak to the chef and or let me speak to him/her. Most of the time they are very nice about it. It's gotten to the point its second nature. My son is 6 now and he thinks he is a big boy when he can tell them himself that he's allergic to peanuts. I am always especially careful with fast food places as well as chinese resteraunts. Where peanut oil is used alot.I Hope this helps.