New to PA --- Another Reaction!

Posted on: Sun, 10/10/2004 - 3:10am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Hello...

I posted a few days ago (thread title was New to PA -- Help Please). DS (14months) tried PB for the first last Monday and had a reaction (hives, bumps on arm and face). We have an appt. with an allergist on the 18th. Until then, I have been strictly avoiding all peanut products. We went to brunch this morning at a local restaurant and I specifically asked the waitress what would have any peanuts, peanut oil, or anything that could have been contaminated. She went to speak to the owner who said that NOTHING they serve would be an issue.. they bake all of their goods in house and fry everything in veg oil. The only things Sam ate was cottage cheese, a bit of french toast, banana (brought from home), Apple Jacks, scrambled eggs, and a few bits of potato. Somewhere along the line, he had a reaction similar to last week..hives around the mouth and a few bumps (look like tiny mosquito bites) on his arm. I showed the waitress and asked again and she verfied that nothing should have had contamination. What do you all think?

I am really stressed about this. The appt. with the allergist cannot come soon enough. I am not taking him to eat until this is resolved and I know for sure. Everything he ate today is stuff he has had lots and lots of times...and from this same restaurant. Is there anything else that could possibly be triggering this?

The very first time I gave him eggs, we thought he might have a slight rash on his face. My sister (who is a school nurse) was actually at my house and the rash was so slight, we just thought it was from us rubbing his face clean. We were purposely looking for it since it was the first time he had eggs (this was two months ago right after his first birthday). We thought we were just imagining something. We gave him eggs the next three days without incident, and he has since had them. He also had his MMR and his flu shot without any issues. Could it really be the egg? But that would not explain what happened last week with the peanut butter.

Thanks so much for any feedback you might have. I don't know where else to turn until our appt. next week.

Posted on: Sun, 10/10/2004 - 3:46am
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

It could be the egg. Especially because the first time he may have had a slight rash. And maybe the first time, he was rubbing his face because it itched. I know you are new to this, but many of us on these boards don`t give our kids restaurant food. I only allow my daughter to have fresh fruit, or dry cereal in a box where I can read the ingredients. The majority of food allergy fatalies occur in restuarants because of the restaurant staff giving out incorrect information, and it is difficult to know how allergy aware they are. For example one time I asked about ingredients in fries, and the manager on his own told me that earlier in the day they used the same fryer for other things. What if it had not crossed his mind to tell me? If it were me I would avoid all peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs until your appointment with the allergist. Chances are you will never know what caused the reaction in the restaurant. A restaurant is such an uncontrolled enviroment. You are not physically in their kitchen and there is really no way to know what possible cross contamination took place. Once you see the allergist you will know for sure what he is and isn`t allergic to.
[This message has been edited by Carefulmom (edited October 10, 2004).]

Posted on: Sun, 10/10/2004 - 4:00am
k9ruby's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/25/2004 - 09:00

did he have any ketchup- apparently it has hi histimine content...
------------------
webmaster of [url="http://www.goingnuts.cjb.net"]www.goingnuts.cjb.net[/url]
*****ALLERGY PATROL*****

Posted on: Sun, 10/10/2004 - 5:35am
Joesmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/15/2004 - 09:00

You know, when my son was first diagnosed with PA, that's ALL we asked about..."does this contain any PEANUT products?" I have found that many children also cross react to tree nuts as well. If the restaurant uses walnuts or pecans in their baked goods or even on their pancakes (griddle), that could be the cross contamination. Since you only asked about peanuts, they may not have thought twice about serving your son anything with any OTHER type nut in it.
I hope you get the answers you are looking for from your doctor.
------------------
Lisa

Posted on: Mon, 10/11/2004 - 12:29am
rebekahc's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/02/1999 - 09:00

So sorry to hear DS had another reaction! As others have said, it could be anything... waitress error, tree nuts, etc. However, since you felt he might have had a slight reaction to eggs in the past, that would be my guess. Perhaps DS is mildly allergic to eggs, but since his body was already on alert from last week's reaction to pb he reacted more strongly to the egg this time? I notice when my other allergies (even environmental ones) are bothering me I cannot tolerate some of the foods I'm mildly allergic to. I've often seen the analogy of a bucket with water. If it only has a little water in it adding a little more is okay, but if the bucket is already full then adding a little more will overflow it.
Good luck - I'm glad you can see an allergist soon!
Rebekah

Posted on: Mon, 10/11/2004 - 6:29am
California Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

It's so hard to know. My first thought was essentially the same as Joesmom: cross contamination with walnuts on the french toast griddle.
The egg thing is plausible, too, with his body in an aggravated allergic state (not sure if this is medically accurate!) from last week's peanut reaction.
Best of luck to you! The "mystery reactions" are the worst.
Hopefully the allergy testing will clear stuff up for you.
Take care,
[img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Miriam

Posted on: Mon, 10/11/2004 - 6:36am
MimiM's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/10/2003 - 09:00

Hi Sam's Mom,
From your story, I would have to agree that it is either from the egg in the French Toast or from some nut/peanut cross-contamination on the grill. Remember that even though something like french toast has few ingredients, anything made on a grill has a little bit of everything made on that grill. Most places that serve breakfast make nut pancakes. Also, if they make nutty french toast and plain french toast, the nuts may have been close to the plain batter or perhaps the spoon used to mix the nutty french toast mixture accidently got dipped into the plain egg mixture.
Lastly, could some child been eating PB&J while sitting in that high chair? I always bring some wipes along to clean the chair and table just in case.
It will certainly be good to know the results of his allergy tests. Good luck!

Posted on: Tue, 10/12/2004 - 12:39am
becca's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

How much or little eggs are cooked can vary the reaction. Many egg allergic people can tolerate cooked eggs, and my dd did(in baked goods) though we now avoid entirely. Her hive reactions were only to raw egg whites in icing.
Maybe the eggs on a couple of occasions were not cooked as much as other times? Or maybe they touched less cooked eggs at the restaurant. Other than that, I suspect a cross contamination with other nuts is possible. We found my dd to be allergic to many tree nuts when she was tested. Oh, and sesame can also be a problem. She did test positive on skin for sesame, though she tolerates it in her diet(we avoid obvious sesame but not traces). becca

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Are you tired of serving fresh-cut fruits and veggies as a healthy snack? Sure, there's nothing wrong with these options, but they can get boring...

Are you craving cake? Perhaps there's an upcoming birthday...

In the United States, there are no lines of ice cream that are dedicated to being nut-free....

Molecular allergy component testing identifies the specific food or environmental proteins triggering a person’s allergic reactions. Component...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...