New peanut allergy in toddler- scared - Peanut Allergy Information

New peanut allergy in toddler- scared

Publish date:

We just found out on Sunday that my 16 month old son has a peanut allergy. He had previously had a bite of a peanut butter cookie and had no reaction at all. On Sunday, however, he had a cracker with peanut butter. He was fine for the next 1 1/2 hours so I assumed he would have no reaction. I put him down for his nap and about an hour and a half later I heard him moving around. When I checked on him I noticed that he had hives on his face. I then saw that his chest, back, and neck were covered in hives. Thankfully, he did not have any swelling or trouble breathing. We called the doctor immediately and we were told to give him Benadryl. Luckily, the Benadryl worked and the hives were gone in a couple of hours. The next day we picked up 2 Epi Pens and he will see an allergist in March. I am terribly worried. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

On Jan 24, 2006

Hi, I just send a message to your email Carey.

------------------ Carey, mom of a 28 mth with PA

On Jan 24, 2006

I am so sorry for you and your family. But glad you found us right away. This is very hard. Many of us on these boards have survived having a PA toddler, though, and you will too. [img][/img] Having lived through that, I can tell you to take a deep breath and then keep taking them. Prepare for a lot of stress in the next 6 months. Personal advice? Since you asked, here are the things I would do (in order) 1. remove peanut products from your house This is going to include cleaning products, pet food, and perhaps personal hygeine items like shampoo and lotions. 2. eliminate as much processed food and restaurant food as possible 3. get a container (easily recognizable, lightweight) that contains your child's medications and NEVER let your child go anywhere it does not. 4. Let all childcare providers know about your child's allergy and make sure that they are capable of following your emergency plan (Epi, 9-1-1 and call you) Don't ever leave your child with anyone who "doesn't get it" at this age. 5. Contact FAAN ([url][/url]) and read there too. 7. Be sure that your partner/child's other parent is on the same page with you-- this is crucial since you are probably going to face a lot of skepticism and general flak from family and some acquanitances. Real friends get it.

8. Make time to zone out-- a book, yoga, church, Tai Chi, music, running, whatever works for you. When the stress is overwhelming, take a break and give yourself permission to recharge. Being a PA parent of a toddler is exhausting in all respects. This is as close as human beings ever get to being given the job of an angel.

I know there are plenty of people who haven't done #1 and have lived to tell about it, but trust me, you'll feel a lot better right now knowing that ONE place isn't inherently dangerous for a mobile and curious little one. At least until you have been evaluated by your allergist.

That's just my 0.02... It also helps to take up meditation, yoga, or Tai Chi... sounds goofy, but it works.

[img][/img] You can do it!

On Jan 24, 2006

Hi We found out when my son was 18mos in July. Still getting used to it. He also just had hives after 2 hours, but we went to the hospital because I knew what could happen since a couple of my friends children have this allergy. We also found out that my son is allergic to peas and eggs. There is tons of support here and lots of great advice. We have not changed our household too much. I also have a 7 year old with no allergies. We just removed all peanut products. We read all labels and call manufacters on food. We still go out to eat alot. We are just careful on what we feed him. I always call the manager over and since we frequent the same restaurants they have gotten to know us. I know how scared you are I still get waves every now and then. But it does get easier as you get used to it. Just remember to read labels even on items you consider safe because ingredients can always change. Hope this helps. Nancy

On Jan 25, 2006

I can 100% relate to what you are going through - I was there 8 yrs ago when my son was 18 monthes old, had PB on toast - 1 bite - and immediately developed hives on his face. My heart sank for him and us as a family, as life changed from carefree to constant worry and concern. At the time my daughter was 2 1/2 yrs with no allergies, so hard to explain to her she could no longer have some of her favourite foods. I remember she cried when told no more peanut butter at all for any of us, but when my son's situation was explained to her she was so so good about the whole thing. She has made alot of sacrifices for her brother and done it so good naturedly.

I agree the best thing to do at this point is make your home safe by removing all peanut products. Then you have no worries at home - we still abide by this and it saves my sanity!!

We also take the epi's everywhere we go. We keep them in a fanny pack on a hook by the door. That is our standard spot for them so my husband and I both Know where to find them if the other is'nt home. They are always returned to the same spot.

My son is now 9 yrs old and has never had a reaction since that 1st one. Yes, we have had a few close calls and scares but those have been few and far between and never resulted in a reaction. I well remember our initial shock, but you will be fine like we are by educating yourself, talking to others, and reading ingredients and food labels always. It is definitely a learning process. I'm so glad you found this site- I wish I had had this when we were new to the allergy.

Take care, and take one day at a time. You can do it!

On Jan 25, 2006

Thank you all for responding. I am very glad I found this site and I'm sure I'll be visiting often.