Hi I have a 16 month old son. At 13 months, he had one small hive from one small bit of PB. He was just tested and came back 1.15 KUA/I on the RAST test. This is a very low class 2. Can anyone tell me what this means? He has been eating "may contains" his entire life. I have stopped all obvious peanut products and "may contain" products. I was wondering if anyone else was tested this low. Thank!
On May 31, 2006
I'm 23, and I was just tested the past year for the first time since I was 5.
My RAST for peanuts came back at .55 (I think, all I can remember is it was a very low class 1).
My SPT, however, came back with a giant hive, about quarter size. Too big to be a false positive.
The lower the RAST score, though, the better. Keep him away from peanuts and the may contains, because the RAST really can't predict how your next reaction will be, and allergies can go from so/so to deadly within one exposure. But having the score be so low when he's young and never had an anaphlyactic reaction are good signs. Hopefully with total avoidance his score will continue to go down and he'll outgrow the allergy [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
On May 31, 2006
i'm embarrassed to say i don't know what type of test was done on my two pa girls years ago (9 years ago for one and 6 years ago for the other). i do know that their numbers were both 4+ though. we were told we have the highest "off the chart" peanut allergy. in fact, when we had them skin tested at ages 5 and 8, (in hopes of finding out if their allergies had improved)they both had reactions. no facial swelling or hives like ingestion reactions but burning, swelling throats and water running from their noses and throats (not sure why that happened) in addition to the softball sized reactions that occurred on the skin at the site of the test. i think it's safe to say we aren't going to ever be rid of our pa. darn.