New PA adult

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Hello, I tested positive for PA (scratch test) but tested negative on the blood test.

I opted to not to eat peanuts even though I never really had any reactions to peanuts my whole life.

One day, my dad decided to cook a large batch of peanuts, three hours later...I developed several rashes and my eyes became very red.

When I asked the new doctor, why the positive on the scratch test and negative on the blood test. They claim the blood test is more accurate than the scratch test. But now they are saying the tests are not 100% accurate at times.

Now, what? Am I or am I not allergic to peanuts? I never had a reaction to them before in my 34 years.

Mary

On Jun 12, 2006

Hi Mary, I'm 56, and also used to eat peanuts before developing adult-onset PA.

It's my understanding that if you have a positive skin test and have had a reaction to peanuts, then you are considered to be peanut allergic no matter what the blood test shows.

But I'm not sure if I understand.... You said you have always avoided peanuts and yet you haven't had a reaction to them? How do you know you don't react to them if you avoid them? Does your doctor consider you to be allergic to peanuts?

On Jun 12, 2006

Quote:

Originally posted by Adele: [b] But I'm not sure if I understand.... You said you have always avoided peanuts and yet you haven't had a reaction to them? How do you know you don't react to them if you avoid them? Does your doctor consider you to be allergic to peanuts?

[/b]

That was a typo...I'm tired tonight. I meant to say that I used to eat peanuts all the time without any problems until I was tested for peanuts in Oct 2005 (scratch test). I advertly avoided all nuts since then. I was re-tested at another doctor's office (board certified physician) in Feb 2006 (blood test). She said they were all safe for me to eat...but I was too scared to and avoided them until my dad cooked the peanuts (boiled them for 4 hours) in April 2006.

My dad and sis insist that I was nervous and caused my own reaction. I know my body...I was itching just like I do with Christmas trees of which I am definitely highly allergic to since I was 18 years of age.

Now that I'm 34, I'm finding sensitivities to dairy (mainly Phil. cream cheese), pork, strawberries, some cereals, mexican food, and especially spicy foods.

On Jun 13, 2006

If your doctor says you can eat peanuts and you haven't had a reaction to them other than the one incident with cooking peanuts, perhaps you could request a peanut challenge in the doctor's office? Under doctor's supervision you would eat a tiny amount of peanut protein, wait for a reaction, eat a little more, etc. until you either DO react or you don't .It's the only way of finding out (safely) if you are PA.

Living peanut-free is a pain in the neck - especially if you eat in restaurants or have a social life. I would request a peanut challenge.

On Jun 14, 2006

Quote:

Originally posted by Adele: [b]If your doctor says you can eat peanuts and you haven't had a reaction to them other than the one incident with cooking peanuts, perhaps you could request a peanut challenge in the doctor's office? .[/b]

Actually, my doctor advised me to stay completely away from all nuts.

The funny thing is right before I tested positive for PA (with the 1st doctor), I ate nearly a whole can of peanuts at a restuarant 2-3 weeks prior to testings and did not have an ounce of a reaction.

It was the assistant who administered the testings and about freaked out on me when she said I was a "3" on the scratch test.

So, I was thinking maybe it could have been the peanuts still in my system when I took the tests.

Anyway, I decided to go for a second opinion, a board certified doctor, all of my RAST blood-tests (all nuts were tested)...I had all "0" across the board. That is when she said the nuts were then safe for me to eat and said it was most likely "food sensitivities rather than food allergies".

That is, until I had the one incident reaction when Dad cooked peanuts one night. She advised against all nuts since that incident.

On Jun 14, 2006

Since you're apparently having some other allergy-type issues or you wouldn't have been SPT'ed in the first place, could it have been something else that caused the rashes/watery eyes? Three hours later is a pretty long time for a reaction to start (it's been known to happen, but they're rather rare).

If I were you, I would ask your doc for a peanut challenge. I read somewhere on here that they did a study and SPT'ed a bunch of people. I think somewhere between 20-50% of the population tests positive on the SPT to peanuts but never has a reaction. There's also the possibility that the serum from one of the other tests around the peanut got spread onto the peanut site.

Peanut allergy is liveable, but it's definately not a walk in the park and it would be a shame for you to live like you have a peanut allergy when you really don't.

If you do go for a challenge, make sure you let us know how it turns out. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Jun 14, 2006

Lots of people (including me) have delayed reactions to an allergen. So, it is not unusual that you had a reaction 3 hours later after being exposed to peanut.

Actually, I am a PA adult an I don't consider it a shame to go without peanuts and the way it has changed my life.

I eat healthy fresh foods now. I have lost weight. And, I do not focus my entire life around crappy food that is not good for me.

On Jun 15, 2006

Quote:

Originally posted by cathlina: [b]Lots of people (including me) have delayed reactions to an allergen. So, it is not unusual that you had a reaction 3 hours later after being exposed to peanut.

Actually, I am a PA adult an I don't consider it a shame to go without peanuts and the way it has changed my life.

I eat healthy fresh foods now. I have lost weight. And, I do not focus my entire life around crappy food that is not good for me.[/b]

Thank you for the advice, everyone. It sure has been an emotional roller coaster for me since Oct 2005.

The doc did say it was rare for a reaction to peanuts to pop up 3 hours later but it could have happened like one of you say...a delayed reaction.

To tell you guys the truth, I never really liked peanut butter to begin with, however, I did like cracking open peanuts and eating them. So, having a PA to peanuts alone does not affect me but what was affecting the most was foods I love which are Mexican food, french fries, Chicken Nuggets, pizza, pasta, cookies, candy, and foods that have "peanut" variations in it.

I, too, have lost 30 lbs, (I was 180lbs, now 150lbs and holding steady, 5'3") and have been eating much healthier since then.

I was eating candy, and all sorts of fried-fatty foods nearly everyday until the PA came about. During this time, I also had a spike in my BP readings..very high...I think it was 150/140 and was feeling lightheaded. Since losing the weight, I am not experiencing the BP symtoms anymore, just mainly the food/environmental allergies.

BTW, I do not take allergy shots anymore because I had reactions after reactions to them. I just take Clarinex, Nasonex, Singular, and 100% vitamin (One a Day). It would be interesting, if any would like to post how they deal with their PA's and what actions/steps you take, in meds,shots, etc.

Some family members think I am taking it to the extreme but they, too, have health problems (sis has allergies of which I suspect both food and environmental but won't admit and dad is overweight with HB pressure). I figure they are in denial and will continue to do whatever they feel like "because they live only once" I am told.

Mom, on the other hand, UNDERSTANDS me.

On Jun 15, 2006

I remember from a presentation by Dr. Wood at an FDA hearing last summer that there are food allergies that are non-IgE mediated, which could explain both the delayed reaction and the negative blood test. I don't know anything more about them except that they exist.

Here is a link to the slides shown. Dr. Wood's was "An Introduction to Food Allergies"

[url="http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/slides/2005-4160s1.htm"]http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/slides/2005-4160s1.htm[/url]

On Jun 24, 2006

My shellfish reactions usually happen 2 hours later--either 20 minutes OR 2 hours. Always. But they're gastroinestinal.

Edited to add: I have had a positve SPT and negatie ImmunoCap to peanuts but reactions--again, gastrointestinal and delayed. I honestly don't know if I'm allergic or not. But I avoid them. DS is PA--Class 3 and has had ana reactions.

[This message has been edited by McCobbre (edited June 24, 2006).]

On Jun 25, 2006

Quote:

Originally posted by McCobbre: [b]My shellfish reactions usually happen 2 hours later--either 20 minutes OR 2 hours. Always. But they're gastroinestinal.

Edited to add: I have had a positve SPT and negatie ImmunoCap to peanuts but reactions--again, gastrointestinal and delayed. I honestly don't know if I'm allergic or not. But I avoid them. DS is PA--Class 3 and has had ana reactions.

[This message has been edited by McCobbre (edited June 24, 2006).][/b]

I noticed you are from the Houston area...I live in Houston as well....on the outskirts.

I am SO confused what to eat or what not to eat. I used to be able to eat Peanuts without any problems until the scratch test showed I was a Class 3 and the RAST test showed a below "0". I have had more delayed reactions than anything...that what is so confusing.

I just posted a post in the Food Safe and Unsafe section on regarding my last night's experience with Mex Food. I had a very small rash on my knuckle on one hand (very bright pink/spotty)...two hours later after I ate the food. My question, is it was the food (handmade tortillias, fajitia's)...tea, rice, guac, what?? Urgh!!

On Jun 27, 2006

Quote:

Originally posted by Precious1971: [b] I noticed you are from the Houston area...I live in Houston as well....on the outskirts.

I am SO confused what to eat or what not to eat. I used to be able to eat Peanuts without any problems until the scratch test showed I was a Class 3 and the RAST test showed a below "0". I have had more delayed reactions than anything...that what is so confusing.

I just posted a post in the Food Safe and Unsafe section on regarding my last night's experience with Mex Food. I had a very small rash on my knuckle on one hand (very bright pink/spotty)...two hours later after I ate the food. My question, is it was the food (handmade tortillias, fajitia's)...tea, rice, guac, what?? Urgh!![/b]

Your reactions sound similar to mine. Unless you call the restaurant, you may not know what caused it. I've not been to that restaurant yet.

BTW--there's a restaurants board that's good for that kind of posting.

If you want to touch base, email me off line. It's in my profile.

Related