new--how worried should i be??

Posted on: Tue, 08/26/2003 - 1:17pm
megans mommy's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/26/2003 - 09:00

Hello, I am new here, and relatively new to food allergies. My daughter tested allergic on skin tests to peanuts, fish, and wheat at 15 months old (she is now 20 months). She also reacts to milk, soy, tree nuts, and just outgrew eggs. Her allergist says she will most likely outgrow her food allergies. He did not seem at all concerned about her peanut allergy.

Megan reacted to peanuts in breastmilk by throwing up small amounts--more than regular spit-ups--but very frequently. I brought this up to her ped. at 6 months and was told it couldn't possibly be PA. I cut it from my diet anyway. I was very diligant, and even avoided foods labeled 'processed at a plant that processes peanuts' and 'may contain trace amounts'. Megan has never had any peanuts or peanut products firsthand.

I was terrified to learn PA can be very serious and even unpredictable. I assumed that since Megan 'only threw up' it was nothing we needed to worry too much about. Could she possibly have a serious reaction and go into shock?? All her other food allergy symptoms are GI related--stomach aches, small amounts of vomitting, sometimes diahrea.....she has never shown any signs of swelling/itching/trouble breathing.

We have another appt. with her allergist coming up in September, but he was not very informative on her other food allergies and focused on environmental allergies (which she does not even react to--although she tested positive for some). I think I am going to ask for an epi-pen, just to be safe. We are checking into a new allergist who works more with children's food allergies.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on: Wed, 08/27/2003 - 7:54am
attlun's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/13/2003 - 09:00

I've talked to you on the Survivors Together board, so I don't have anything new to say, but just wanted to say hi and welcome.
Tina
Trevor 8/6/01
Harmony 1/22/03

Posted on: Wed, 08/27/2003 - 1:13pm
nikky's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/14/2000 - 09:00

Welcome!! My son only had peanut through breast milk also. He had a rash, stuffy nose and some wheezing. Our allergist told us that getting the peanut through the breast milk generally won't cause anaphylaxis. That would happen when the child ingests it on his/her own. It is possible that your child could have a severe reaction if she were to consume peanut. I would definitely get the epi-pen and avoid all traces of peanut even though her reaction was only vomiting. There's LOTS of wisdom on this site...read,read,read!!!(There's also lots of laughs...erik and momma bear always crack me up!!)

Posted on: Thu, 08/28/2003 - 1:13am
leesadb's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2003 - 09:00

I recently joined too. I joined because my son (who is a PA) just started school all day. I have a friend who's son was also a PA, but he out grew his Peanut allergy at 4yrs. My son is 6, and my doctor(who is also my friends doctor) told me my son would probably never grow out of his allergy. He told me usually 1 out of every 200 kids will out grow a peanut allergy, but most people are below a 3 on the rast and don't really have severe reactions, but still have the allergy and evetually could have a severe reaction. Just be very careful and READ, READ, READ!!!!

Posted on: Thu, 08/28/2003 - 3:15am
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

My son is 18 and has had PA forever. He has had three reactions, one of each, ingestion, cross contamination, and airborne.
He leaves for college on Monday 9/1.
We did everything possible to educate ourselves and our family and now his college. He is smart and very careful, he'll be fine.
So will you. Just do everything to educate yourself and others. You'll be fine.
And I should add, I worry every day. I suppose I'll worry until there is a cure. My son has been given the proper information and he is a smart kid. I'll still worry.
Peggy
[This message has been edited by Peg541 (edited August 28, 2003).]

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...