New here...Is this a normal \"first\" reaction?

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Hello! This is my first post. I have a 14 month old son named Alexander. Here and there we have given him things with "small doses" of peanut products in it. For example: I've given him a few Ritz Bitz or a few tastes of my B&J Chubby Hubby. I never really noticed anything overt. Then again I wasn't looking for it.

The other day I decided to give him his first PB sandwich. I went to get him out of his high chair and the poor kid had little hives everywhere he had touched himself with his PB covered hands! He didn't have the hives anywhere that the PB hadn't touched him.

We had no Benadryl in the house so my hubby had to run to the store. He was fine after I gave it to him.

I was surprised that because he ingested more than a tablespoon of PB that he didn't have a more systemic reaction. Why didn't he get hives all over and only where it touched him? Why didn't he get vomiting and diarrhea?

Is this all maybe a good indication that his allergy will only be a mild one?

Is this how your children's reactions started and then they got progressively worse?

We are really surprised because we don't have any food allergies (only hayfever). He has never been sick, had eczema, or allergies to any other foods that might have prepared us (he's eaten eggs, milk and shellfish fine).

I went ahead and made an appointment with an allergist for this week. They said they'll do blood tests because he is so young. Maybe the hives were a coincidence and were caused by something else (denial kicking in).

Thank-you,

Leslie

On Aug 22, 2005

My dd had a similar reaction with her first exposure at 21 months, except she didn't eat any of it. She got small hives everywhere the peanut butter made contact. They went away on their own. Let us know what the allergist says, but my guess is that there is an allergy and you'll be advised to keep the peanuts away to heighten the chance of him outgrowing it. You'll probably also be prescibed an epipen which you'll hopefully never have to use, but you'll want around just in case. In the meantime, keep the peanuts away!! As for "mild" vs "severe" -- reactions vary a lot so be careful. Hopefully your little guy will outgrow it though [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

------------------ For more thoughts: [url="http://ralarson.blogspot.com"]Ruth's blog[/url]

On Aug 22, 2005

In the beginning, my son would throw up as many as 14 hours after he ingested peanut products. He has never had hives and was a 4+ at age 3 and 5. Everyone is different but pa is serious at any level. With no history in your family and because he is so young, he may be one of those lucky ones to out grow it. Go see the allergist and find out for sure then get your epi pen and get educated. Good luck, let us know what happens.

On Aug 24, 2005

My sons first reactions were so mild (he just spit it out, no other reaction), hives, then got progessivly worse with more exposures.

I'm glad you are seeing the allergist soon, hopefully he will be one of the lucky ones to outgrow this allergy.

My sons milk allergy sounds very similar, he seems to be able to tolerate small doses without breathing problems, but he gets hives where it touches his skin.

His allergist tells us his milk allergy is as severe as his nut allergies(with a skin prick as well as blood test). He is now off all traces of milk and has been for over a year. I still really can't figure it out.

Wishing you the best.

Linda

On Aug 24, 2005

Your son's experience is identical to my son's, except my son was 18 months and he had thai food with crushed peanuts that he was eating with his hands. He had red hand prints on his face everywhere he rubbed, and small pimple-like hives around his mouth. It all went away with Benedryl. In my denial, I convinced myself it was to the cummin spice he was reacting to. Unfortunately, his peanut RAST(blood test)came back high.

So to answer your question, yes, it sounds like a normal reaction to me.

On Aug 28, 2005

Thank-you all for your replies.

We went to the allergist on Thursday. He said that his reaction was very normal for a first reaction.

He ordered a RAST test and a total IgE. He also gave us an order for EpiJunior pens and showed us how to use him.

My husband knows this allergist through business so he sees him and his staff weekly. It's nice that anytime we have a new question he can just ask him or the nurses when he's there.

He explained to us that we have to take all of the peanut products out of the house. I am a peanut-butter-a-holic. I don't eat chocolate without peanut butter. I often take peanut butter, put it in a bowl,put chocolate syrup in it, mix it up, and eat it like that. I guess I have to end all that.

My husband looked at a box of Lemonheads and it said that they may contain peanuts. I'm just not sure where to start. It's very overwhelming.

Is there a good list of things that usually have peanuts in them that we need to watch out for somewhere?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that his RAST test will come back with a low reactivity number. It will make his life so much easier. The poor kid. I feel bad for him.

Thank-you for your help.

Leslie

On Aug 28, 2005

Quote:

Originally posted by LeslieRN72: [b]

Is there a good list of things that usually have peanuts in them that we need to watch out for somewhere?

[/b]

You can check out the FAAN website at foodallergy.org for info. They also offer "How to Read a Label Cards" you can purchase. They are laminated cards you can bring with you when you shop that list ingredients and items to look out for.

In addition I would suggest the following books The Parent's Guide To Food Allergies by Marianne Barber Caring for Your Child with Severe Food Allergies by Lisa Cipriano Collins The Peanut Allergy Answer Book by Dr. Michael Young. And of course there is tons of info on the boards here too. Good Luck!

------------------ Jodi mom to: Dominic 5/22/01 NKA Zachary 3/18/03 Peanut, Milk, Egg, Dog, Cat & Penicillin

Related