new here


Hi. My name is Shawna. My daughter Madison is almost 19 months old. She was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy, but I have known since she was 12 months, that she was probably allergic. When I gave her peanut butter for the 1st time, her mouth instantly broke out into a rash. I just kept her away from peanuts, and peanut butter. I finally took her in to be diagnosed because I wasn't sure if this was something that she was going to outgrow, or if it was life threatening. The doctor wasn't very helpful, didn't give me any information. He just told me not to expose her, or it would get worse as she got older. I still have no idea wether or not this is something that could be life threatening. So I found this website and immediately joined, and I am hoping to get as much information as possible. Thanks!!

On Feb 3, 2004

It's definately life threatening. You need to try to get a referal to a pediatric food allergist. There is a lot of help on this site. Read as much as you can it's sometimes better than help you get from most doctors. I've been on this site for a few months now. Everyone is very helpful. I'm sure they will give you lots of support and advice.


Hunter girl 3yrs PA TNA Cats Dogs Molds, etc Caleb 6 yrs no known allergies

On Feb 3, 2004

Shawna, First of all "Welcome" I am glad you found this sight, it is full of wonderful informative information. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, someone always seems to have the information you need and if not they have great suggestions on where to find it! I have a few questions, Was the doctor you saw her regular pediatrician or an allergist? If it was her Ped. then it is definately a good idea to see if you need a referral for a pediatric allergist or if you can go with no referral and get an appointment as soon as possible. Also, did the doctor give you an Epipen, Jr. and instructions for it and the use of Benadryl in case of an anaphylatic reaction? If not, [img][/img] you really need to see about getting a prescription for the Epipen,Jr.! Did the doctor tell you to avoid all tree nuts also, there is a concern of cross-contamination with peanuts. Or in some cases, as in my dd case, besides being PA, she is also TNA. About 35% of PA are also TNA too. It would probably be a good idea to avoid all nuts and nut products also. Did he let you know that you need to be reading all labels and not only looking for peanut and nut, but also, "may contains" or "manufact. on the same equipment" too.

As Angie said, this is very definately a life-threatening allergy!! If your DD has any underlying breathing problems such as asthma this can make the reaction worse in some cases. You should be *alarmed* that your doctor did not give you any more information and the proper instruction in the control of this allergy.

In some cases children who have *total* avoidance of the offending food will eventually outgrow this allergy, however the number is low, only about 20%. Most times this is life long. I hope this has given you some insight. I wish you the best of luck.

------------------ Alicia, mom to: Edward-20 years-non PA Cody-8 years-non PA Shaylyn-4 years-PA/TNA,Asthma

On Feb 4, 2004

Hello Shawna, and welcome [img][/img]!

------------------ Tina Trevor age 2 -PA Harmony age 1 -KNA Baby #3 due June 24, 2004

On Feb 4, 2004

Thanks for the info. We actually seen an allergist. He wasn't very helpful, but then again, I didn't ask alot of questions, although I didn't know what to ask. He didn't give me any instructions on what to do if she has a reaction, nothing on the epipen or benadryl. And he also didn't say anything about tree nuts. How do I know if she's going to need an epipen? So far, as far as I can tell she has only had a skin reaction. I guess maybe I should take her to a different allergist. Thanks for your help.

On Feb 4, 2004

You should very definately seek out a new pedicatric allergist. IMO it sounds as thou this one you have seen has not *gotten it* yet or is just not as knowledgeable in food allergies as you hope you he would be. Also, IMHO you should definately also have an Epipen, Jr.& Benadryl. Peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish and fish have the highest incidence of anaphylatic reactions recorded.

------------------ Alicia, mom to: Edward-20 years-non PA Cody-8 years-non PA Shaylyn-4 years-PA/TNA,Asthma

On Feb 4, 2004

Maddie's mom, I found this article as I was doing some research, it is only part of the original article.

Peanut Allergies in Children Have Doubled in Last Five Years Study Confirms What Doctors and Parents Have Suspected A study confirms what many doctors, parents, schools and others are seeing first-hand. Incidents of peanut allergies in children are a rapidly growing health challenge in need of vastly improved standards of care and greater public education, according to The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN). Prevalence of peanut allergy in children doubled over a five-year period, according to the study published in the December 2003 issue of Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (JACI). As in a previous study, the subjects reported experiencing severe (79 percent) and frequent reactions (66 percent reported more than five lifetime reactions). Despite the severity and frequency, the study found that only 74 percent of children and 44 percent of adults sought medical evaluation. Of those who did seek medical treatment, fewer than half were prescribed epinephrine, the medication of choice for controlling a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

"This is a worrisome treatment record at a time when more and more children and families are coming face-to-face with the dangers of peanut allergy," said Anne Mu

On Mar 3, 2004


Originally posted by happymomof2amk: Angie Hunter girl 3yrs PA TNA Cats Dogs Molds, etc Caleb 6 yrs no known allergies[/B]

Dear Angie, I'm reading thru all the posts looking for info & I see that your dd is allergic to dog, cat, mold, & peanut. Those are exactly the 4 things my son was just dx with (blood test). He's 4. We haven't been for a follow up at the dr yet (next week) and I don't know what they mean by "mold".

I hope you don't mind me bringing up an older post of yours to ask this.

Thanks! Cathy

On Mar 3, 2004


So far my daughter doesn't seem to be reacting to mold. From what I understand. It's indoor and outdoor. It's patches of the black mold that grows in corners of basements, sometimes on windows, shower curtains, places with a lot of moisture. Our house sometimes gets a small amount of black mold in the corners of our bedroom. Sometimes it will grow under your sinks. Outside it drys and gets picked up in the air. I'm not sure where it is when it's outside. They say to put a dehumidifier in your basement. I think that is right. If you can't find anymore information on it let me know. I'll look for the papers they sent me on what it is, where it is, and how to try to control it. Hope that helps.

Angie & Hunter

[This message has been edited by happymomof2amk (edited March 03, 2004).]

On Mar 4, 2004

[quote]Originally posted by happymomof2amk:

Angie, thanks for your reply! I was wondering if they meant mold that grows in damp places, mold in the air, or mold like cheese. Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll stick around here for awhile.