I just stumbled across this site searching for something else. Strangely, my 2 year old girl is PA, yet I never used the web to look for resources.
After reading a hours worth of posts, I have become more afraid of PA then I ever have been. I guess my Dr. was very casual about the whole thing, so I have not been uptight. She simply said 'avoid peanuts' and gave us an epi-pen.
Until now, I never realized how serious it could be....I think I'll buy a book on the subject...any suggestions?
I hate to be a bore....I'm sure you have seen these ?'s a million times, but any answers would be great.
Do different kids have varing degrees of PA? How do you know how serious it is? I eliminated the obivious peanuts products from the house, but what other nuts are bad? What's the deal with peanut dust, can any PA get sick from breathing it, or just serious cases? What foods contain hidden peanuts traces?
We eat out all the time and go out for pizza, ice cream, everything...now I read that a lot of PA families avoid these. I have never had a problem...am I being ignorant or is my girls PA less servere than I've read here?
On Oct 31, 2001
dear drew81 a good book would be:- food allergy and intolerance by prof jonathan brostoff and linda gamiln.
On Nov 4, 2001
Another good book is "Parent's guide to food allergies" by Marianne Barber. It is new out. I have just read it. Even though I have been dealing with this for several years and feel pretty well informed, I learned new things from it. This book is honest, deals with a variety of food allergies, and has a sense of humor. I laughed several times when I was reading it. A surprise considering the subject! In answer to your questions, yes allergic responses are different for each child, and often vary sightly with each reaction. Yes, peanut dust can be enough to trigger a reaction in a highly allergic person. There are multiple stories under the reaction section of this board that refer to reactions people have had just walking within 5 feet of an open bin of peanuts at a grocery store. Aall of us are slightly different. Education is the key. Good luck and keep reading. Stay safe! Kristi
On Nov 5, 2001
Thanks for the info!
On Nov 12, 2001
Yes, this site can be scary. But that can be a good thing if it wakes you up.
Remember that just like there are varying degrees of allergies, there are varying degrees of responses to it. You will need to find a level you are comfortable with, (and hope that level is in the same range as your spouse's)!
It crosses my mind that sometimes people on this board are overly consumed with the topic, but remember that this is the reason for this board, so of course it is the focus!
We all get off the board, live our lives mostly just like everyone else, except that we are on constant alert.
So please read and read as much as you have time for! Then store it in your mind, and go back to your life.
On Nov 19, 2001
I felt the same way. Glad to find such an informative board, yet scared by all I was reading. I think each of us hoped that *our* child's allergy was less severe than others'. I also know other pa families who seem to have a very broad comfort zone. I wonder sometimes about how vigilant we are required to be and can't I just live without pa for just a minute? It's so frustrating. My son is now 19 months old and had his first reaction at 11 months. At first I was afraid of everything. Now I have come into a comfort zone, but of course, am extremely cautious about everything. The holidays have me very nervous. I guess I don't have any real advice. Just letting you know I can understand. Nicole
On Nov 19, 2001
I Like the "Peanut Allergy Answer Book". It is very concise and has good info. Also the Lisa Cipriano-Collins book about "Dealing with your Child's Severe Food Allergy" covers the emotional aspects. I didn't like the Barber book that much, just a personal preference.
Also, this site has tons of information.
Be sure and read the info in the posts about how strict avoidance (i.e.- no reactions) gives the best chance of growing out of the allergy for kids under 5.
On Nov 20, 2001
My son seems to be allergic, but not horribly so. I first suspected his allergy at 8 mths. when he broke out in hives after eating his cheese off of a plate that I had been eating rice cakes with peanut butter. He started preschool this year, and I wanted an epi-pen for him there just in case. Our pediatrician would not perscribe one with out allergy testing, as we have no history at all of food allergies. They also thought I was nuts myself. (smile) We did get the epi-pen after that. It is really difficult to find a good balance between letting your child enjoy the things other kids do, and not exposing them to a substance that could kill them. We try to. I bring all of his snacks from home, and his school had already adopted a peanut-free policy. From what I have been reading, the more your child is exposed, the worse the allergy can get. Do your best, and always be prepared for ANY possibility. Best Wishes.