Hi, well my son had a severe reaction to his first pb sandwich on Christmas night. Within minutes of taking a few bites he started coughing, threw up, his face started to swell and he broke out into hives. We rushed him to the ER. It was the scariest experience of my life! We took him to an allergist for testing, who confirmed he has a severe PA =(...I am so glad I found this site, it helps to know that we are not alone. Hillary
On Jan 23, 2007
Hello and welcome! I'm so glad you found us. One thing you'll find here is a wide variety of opinions - there is a lot that is unknown about peanut allergies, so different families have different "comfort zones." (For example, please don't beat yourself up about feeding your child PB - medicial opinions differ on exactly the right time to introduce peanut products)
After reading a while, you'll start to be able to decide what works best for your family. It can be overwhelming at times, though, especially when posters have strong feelings about an issue. If you're not used to online message boards, it can be too much sometimes. So don't worry if you need to take a break sometimes.
Other good resources are:
The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network [url="http://www.foodallergy.org/"]http://www.foodallergy.org/[/url]
The Peanut Allergy Answer Book (widely available - you can purchase it through this website at [url="http://www.mystoreforeverything.com/peanutallergy.html)"]http://www.mystoreforeverything.com/peanutallergy.html)[/url]
And finally, please feel free to post questions. You can be sure to get plenty of advice here. :-)
On Jan 23, 2007
Welcome! We found out about our daughter's allergies at 18 months old too! Now she is 8 and thanks to this site and a great allergist she is healthy and happy!
In the beginning I know it is overwhelming, scary, and you start to second guess everything you have done in the past and what to do in the future. Just take one day at a time-try not to worry about the future (I hate when people say to me "What will she do when she goes away to college?" That is so far off for us, I just focus on her today! ).
Please don't feel silly about asking questions or posting concerns, we all have been there and the only way we learn is by asking.
The people here are a wonderful resource, everyone certainly has their own comfort zones, but we all have the same goal to keep our loved ones (or themselves) safe from their allergens.
Good luck and once again, WELCOME!
Shandra (mom to Madeline 8 1/2 peanut/tree nut/soy allergies and Grant 4-no allergies)
On Jan 27, 2007
I'm so sorry to hear of your son's reaction. That is so very scary. But I am glad to that you've found this site, there is so much to learn here, even if you've been dealing with food allergy for years, there is always something here that either helps you learn or challenges they way you view things.
I think if you are armed with information, your son's allergy can be a very managable thing! So come, ask questions, share with us your experiences and we will all learn from each other!