My baby had a reaction today........

Posted on: Fri, 01/09/2004 - 11:44am
ALLERGYMOM's picture
Joined: 10/09/2003 - 09:00

His is ok now. But I cant figure out what it was. I think it may have been a dye or something enviromental. I cant wait until we get our skin test done in a week.

Do any of you know anything about dye allergies?

Do they test for them?

[This message has been edited by ALLERGYMOM (edited January 09, 2004).]

Posted on: Fri, 01/09/2004 - 12:54pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

ALLERGYMOM, how is your baby? How are you? I'm not sure if testing can be done for dyes or not, but I do know that there are people on the board dealing with allergies to dyes. Good gosh, I forget the Mom whose children were allergic to several different dyes. She knew what particular # of the dye and everything. Don't know how though.
There was a child in my daughter's class last year who had a red dye allergy but I don't know if she had been tested for it.
Hope someone can help you. In the mean-time, hope you're both okay.
Oh, what environmental allergies do you suspect?
Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Fri, 01/09/2004 - 2:40pm
momma2boys's picture
Joined: 03/14/2003 - 09:00

Im sorry your baby had a reaction. I hope things are still ok. My son has problems with red dye, mostly behavioral issues but sometimes a rash around his mouth.
I did talk to the allergist about it and he said you cant test for dye allergies, and they are usually intolerances. He also said there is a red dye named carmine that kids have been having severe reactions to. I'll be interested to see if your dr. says they can test or not for dye.

Posted on: Fri, 01/09/2004 - 3:29pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

momma2boys, I definitely agree about red dye and behavioural problems. Years ago (20 some) I had a friend whose child could not eat ketchup because he went bonkers. I was hoping when I had children that I could eliminate it from their diets, but so far, no.
I'd like to try a low sugar (i.e., no chocolate, candy, etc.) low red dye diet and see if I saw any positive changes with their activity.
Sorry, veered off topic.
Best wishes! [img][/img]

Posted on: Fri, 01/09/2004 - 5:43pm
ALLERGYMOM's picture
Joined: 10/09/2003 - 09:00

Thanks guys. He is doing ok. He is sleeping peacefully. I on the other hand will probably be up all night. I usually stay up and keep a close eye when this happens.
Cindy: I am not sure what enviromental it could be. He has never been tested for those. His new allergist said that if I am keeping him away from the foods (MFA) that he is allergic to he should not be so stuffy all the time and break out in a few hives every now and then. So he is testing for enviromental. Yesterday we were outside and he picked me a flower and we came inside about 5 minutes later and his eyes were all red, watery, and itchy. I do know when the grass is cut I have to keep him inside for at least a whole day.
I am sure he is allergic to some dye. He can eat the Fruit by the Foot fruit snacks but not the Fruit Roll Ups..the flat square ones. Learned that one the hard way.
I odered $35 worth of books tonight. I got him Alley the Allergic Elephant, and since he will be starting Kindergarten in September I got "Taking Food Allergies To School" for him and his class, and I got a book for me about food allergies. If I like the two I got for the kids I may order more and donate it to his class for the year. I am so worried about him going to school. They have been great so far and he is not the only child at the school with PA. So we are not alone.
Ok I am going to go watch TV. I will probably be back on soon.
Thanks for listening and your concerns [img][/img] [img][/img]

Posted on: Sat, 01/10/2004 - 1:17am
cathlina's picture
Joined: 06/29/2001 - 09:00

I have reactions to blue dyes...severe itching, rashes.
I research blue dyes on the internet and found that they were made from a sub-family of legumes.
There are threads about this issue.

Posted on: Sat, 01/10/2004 - 10:28pm
attlun's picture
Joined: 06/13/2003 - 09:00

Maybe it is food preservatives? My ds can eat some products that are literally the exact same, except one doesn't have any preservatives (or one he isn't allergic to). His reactions are NOT behavioral, they are immediate hives, itching, sneezing, runny nose, lip swelling. His allergist first thought is was probably the dyes, but turned out it wasn't, it was the preservatives. Good luck!
Trevor 8/6/01
Harmony 1/22/03
Baby #3 due June 24, 2004!

Posted on: Wed, 01/14/2004 - 4:32am
deegann's picture
Joined: 07/27/2003 - 09:00

[This message has been edited by deegann (edited March 15, 2004).]

Posted on: Wed, 01/14/2004 - 8:35am
ALLERGYMOM's picture
Joined: 10/09/2003 - 09:00

I have often heard that red juice makes children hyper. I have never really noticed a difference in my boys after they drink red juice. But if you notice a difference in your little one after taking the red ones then it could be. If I have learned anything from this board and dealing with MFA is that anything is possible. Good luck [img][/img]

Posted on: Wed, 01/14/2004 - 1:22pm
Naer74's picture
Joined: 11/03/2003 - 09:00

Where did you buy those gummy bear vitamins? My hubby bought some one year from Sam's. It has a "may contain" warning on it. It you did buy them there you may want to check.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...