Kasia’s Deli Inc., a Chicago, IL. establishment, is recalling approximately 2,059 pounds of pierogi products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products contain wheat, soy, eggs, and milk, known allergens which are not declared on the product label.
The pierogi (dumplings) products were produced on various dates prior to September 19, 2014 and include lot numbers #4262 and below. The following products are subject to recall:
- 11.5-oz. white plastic tray packages containing 6 pieces of “Polana Beef Pierogi” with product code 608.
- 11.5-oz. white plastic tray packages containing 12 pieces of “Polana Beef Pierogi” with product code 108.
- 14-oz. white plastic tray packages containing 6 pieces of “Polana Potato and Bacon Pierogi” with product code 630.
- 14-oz. white plastic tray packages containing 12 pieces of “Polana Potato and Bacon Pierogi” with product code 130.
- 14-oz. white plastic tray packages of “Polana Chicken Pierogi” with product code 126.
The products subject to recall may contain the establishment number “EST. 33985” or “P- 33985” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These products produced were shipped to a distributor for national online sales.
The problem was discovered by an FSIS investigator during routine surveillance when the investigator noticed that the packaging lacked ingredient labels and /or the mark of inspection.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall can contact the Kasia’s Deli Inc. at (312) 666-2900.