mild reaction from kissing

Posted on: Fri, 01/23/2004 - 3:24am
hockeymama's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2004 - 09:00

This is my first time posting so please bear with me. My 20 month old daughter was diagnosed PA at 15 months(she is also extremely allergic to peas and mildly allergic to egg whites). My comfort level is careful but relaxed as she has not had any problems unless actually ingesting the peanut. We do not allow any peanut product or may contain products in the house, we always talk to the cook when at restraunts etc.. But last night my husband came home and kissed my daughter on the lips (he had eaten a pay day candy bar for lunch 8 hours before) Our daughter immediatly started swelling and rubbing her eyes and lips. I gave her benadryl as soon as we realized what was going on. She has never been this sensitive so i called her allergist this morning ( he is AWSOME!) i thought since she has had a virus and has been throwing up for 4 day prior to this incident that maybe she was more sensitive than usual. He said that was not the case. It certainly scared us and has made me refigure my comfort zone. any other thoughts on maybe the fact that she was a little dehydrated and very sick making her reaction worse than normal> or am i in complete denial?

[This message has been edited by hockeymama (edited January 23, 2004).]

Posted on: Fri, 01/23/2004 - 6:38am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

hockeymama, welcome! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] How is your daughter to-day?
My son had an anaphylactic reaction to residue at school last year. At the same time, he also had a virus. There has been much discussion here about whether or not, if your immune system is compromised by a cold or something if that doesn't help (if you will) make the reaction worse than it might normally be. Who knows? Would my son have reacted to residue last year regardless? Probably. Would it have been anaphylactic though if his system wasn't already working over-time fighting his cold? Who can say? But again, there has been much discussion here about it and if you do a search you'll find some interesting thoughts, which I do agree with.
Cayley's Mom, a few years ago (and I will try to find her thread) posted about a reaction her daughter had to pb residue in her Father's moustache. This struck home with me because my children's Father has a moustache, so it was a subject of conversation for us. If you choose to eat a peanut/nut product, aside from brushing your teeth and washing your hands, make sure you wash your moustache as well. So, it certainly has happened before. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img]
Hope this helps. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Fri, 01/23/2004 - 7:47am
hockeymama's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/23/2004 - 09:00

she is doing better today thanks!
by the way i guess i am pretty illiterate as far as the lingo here. what do
dd and all these different abbreviated things mean. I figured out PA and TNa obviously but could somebody fill me in quickly about some of the others.
thanks
[This message has been edited by hockeymama (edited January 23, 2004).]

Posted on: Fri, 01/23/2004 - 11:05am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

Welcome Hockeymama!
DS and DD mean Dear (or Darling) Son or Daughter, DH means Dear Husband.
Amy

Posted on: Fri, 01/23/2004 - 9:03pm
wendysco's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/03/2003 - 09:00

Our last trip to the allergist was right at the tail end of my ds having a cold. He had been requiring his albuterol nebs (he is PA/Soy and multiple food and environmental sensitivities) and our allergist said that being sick can definitely make him more sensitive and worries especially about any inflammation in his lungs making an accidental PN or soy exposure that much more severe as far as closing up his airway.
Just from personal experience I know that my ds cannot eat any of the little "sensitivity" things he eats when sick or he ends up with problems. I firmly believe that his little body can only take so much. We have simply incorporated it into our comfort zone, if he's ill we usually don't take him into higher risk situations, like visiting others homes, playgrounds, you get the picture.

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...