Mild Reaction at McDonalds

Posted on: Mon, 09/15/2003 - 5:26am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

I know many feel McDonalds is one of the safest places for our PA kids to eat. We have eaten there many times since learning of PA in our DS 6 months ago. However, last week we went into a McDonalds, confirmed that they do not use peanut oil, and ordered a happy meal for my son. While eating the first fry my ds noticed 2 large hives forming near his mouth. After the reaction did not progress, and since we had checked the safety of the food, we allowed him to eat a 2nd fry and we waited, and so on...no more reaction...he ate the entire happy meal.

The only thing we can figure is that since he touched the counter while ds was ordering, there must have been peanut residue there. He is RAST 5 for peanut with NO other food allergies (he's had scratch test for about 40 other potential food and environmental allergens).

From now on I think we'll try and stick to the drive thru or wipe our table down and not let him near the counter. I just wanted to warn people so we don't feel too secure. After all, they do sell peanut products.

Stay Safe, Michelle

Posted on: Mon, 09/15/2003 - 5:48am
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

We always go through the drive-thru as a security measure...

Posted on: Mon, 09/15/2003 - 11:41am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

tjsmom, thank-you! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] Since I'm probably the only member who doesn't know how to drive, we ALWAYS walk into the restaurant (can you call McDonald's a restaurant? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) At any rate, I really appreciate you posting this because my son has reacted to residue (not at McDonald's, at school [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img] ) and we do venture in and he is up at the counter and we usually do eat in as well.
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Thu, 09/18/2003 - 7:53am
nancy023's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/12/2002 - 09:00

I saw a worker fill the flurry container with Butterfinger once and spill it all over the counter right in front of my PA son. Then I gave a long lecture on the dangers of PA. My McDonald's (and many around us) no longer serve Butterfinger flurries.

Posted on: Thu, 09/18/2003 - 12:21pm
kelly01's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/19/2001 - 09:00

How old is your son? Was he heating ketchup? When my boys (they are not all PA, btw) were little, it was not uncommon for them to have mild skin rashes if they got tomato sauce or ketchup on their face. Is it possible this was just a skin irritation? According to our Dr. that is quite common in young children.
-Kelly

Posted on: Thu, 09/18/2003 - 11:16pm
margaret's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/01/2000 - 09:00

My older non pa/non food-allergy kid used to get the "ketchup rash" as a baby. The first time DH and I saw it we were scared and then figured out it was just those acidic tomatoes. It would happen with spaghetti too!

Posted on: Sun, 09/21/2003 - 2:36am
solarflare's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2002 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Alternative to Mainstream:
[b] Since I'm probably the only member who doesn't know how to drive[/b]
I'm somewhat of a non-driver. I'm testing for my license in two weeks, at the ripe old age of 27!
About 50% of the time we go to McDonalds, we walk in, and Jason has never had a problem with peanut (or sesame for that matter) residue.
------------------
Cheryl, mom to Jason (6 PA/TA/other FAs and EAs),Joey (4 NKA) and Allison (11/02 dairy sensitive)

Posted on: Sun, 09/21/2003 - 4:01am
MommaBear's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/23/2002 - 09:00

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum11/HTML/001387.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum11/HTML/001387.html[/url]
[b]?[/b]
haven't heard back from them. Yet.

Posted on: Sat, 09/27/2003 - 6:27am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

My 3yr old son does get what appears to be 'pimples' rather frequently and I think spaghetti sauce may be the culprit. HOWEVER, at the point my husband noticed the HIVES, he had only eaten one plain fry (no ketchup) and had not eaten otherwise in hours. He finished the fries without incident. They were absolutely hives, not just a rash. These were a couple HUGE lumps on his face near his mouth.

Posted on: Mon, 09/29/2003 - 7:37am
Danielle's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/08/2003 - 09:00

I recently opened up my comfort level to include McDonalds. My comfort zone is sooo strict and I called Mc's corporate offices a few times and they assured me I should have no problems. I went through their web site for allergens with them as well as the pamphlet that list the allergnes and food ingredients. I spoke to the manager at Mc's near us a few times and I now feel as though this is about the safest place my PA DD can eat outisde of the house. I don't do french fries only burgers. we only go through the drive in. I know Mc's isn't healthy but she loves it and I know when I am running late and she is in the car and I am OUT of ALL the food that I have packed her for the day at least I can go to Mc's and I don't have to think of my little girl hungry in the backseat. This was a huge step for me and I love hearing her say "THIS IS TASTY AND DELICIOUS" - oh, the little things that so many take for granted.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...