Long intervals b/w reactions = less severe reaction???

Posted on: Mon, 08/04/2003 - 8:37am
pjama0502's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/04/2003 - 09:00

I'm am VERY new to PA and I have a question I didn't see in the archives.

If I can keep my son from being exposed to peanuts for a long interval (years) is it more likely that the next reaction will be less severe?

TIA

Jen

Posted on: Mon, 08/04/2003 - 11:15am
Sandra Y's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/22/2000 - 09:00

From what I have read, the answer is no. We cannot predict the severity of any reaction. There are too many variables. The amount of protein ingested, the general health of the allergic person, and the degree to which their asthma is controlled...all of these can affect the severity of a reaction.
Reactions can be very unpredictable. The amount of time since the last reaction will not help you to predict how severe the next reaction will be.

Posted on: Mon, 08/04/2003 - 11:57am
darthcleo's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2000 - 09:00

*however* there seems to be statistical evidence that kids that do grow out of the allergy are those who are kept away from any exposure. There are other factors but it's one.

Posted on: Mon, 08/04/2003 - 1:24pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

pjama0502, welcome! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
I'm sorry to say from personal experience with my son that this is not true. He had an anaphylactic reaction (not his first) at age 3-1/4 and didn't have another reaction until this year (age 7), so nearly a space of 4 years and it was also anaphylactic.
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Tue, 08/05/2003 - 4:40am
KarenD's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/11/2003 - 09:00

We have also been told the longer the allergen is avoided the more likely to outgrow it. Good luck!

Posted on: Tue, 08/05/2003 - 11:38pm
California Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2000 - 09:00

Our experience was similar to Cindy's. My daughter just had a tree nut reaction (from an item made on "shared equipment"). It had been more than five years since her last tree nut reaction. She had very severe vomitting, which was similar to her previous reactions. Fortunately it was not an anaphylactic reaction, but I think it was pretty severe for what must have been "trace" amounts.
Good luck, Miriam

Posted on: Wed, 08/06/2003 - 1:34pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

KarenD., definitely! Not to confuse pjama0502 further but there is a 20% chance of outgrowing the allergy if your child does NOT have an anaphylactic reaction. However, once your child has an anaphylactic reaction, you've blown their chance of them outgrowing the allergy period. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/frown.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Posted on: Wed, 08/06/2003 - 10:51pm
angelahensley's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/06/2003 - 09:00

I used to think YES!!! I read somewhere that if you can avoid any peanut contact for 3yrs from the first reaction, they double their chances to outgrow it.
BUT.......................................
The allergist said this is not true, unfortunately....
Angela

Posted on: Thu, 08/07/2003 - 2:41am
ks65's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/06/2002 - 09:00

My dd had a "mild" reaction when she was 13 months. I gave her a teaspoon of PB on a spoon. She got itchy eyes, red rash (not hives). The red rash did appear on her whole body (but in parts - 1/2 of her upper torso)..She blood tested a Class 3 at that time (13 months). At 3 year old (so, 2 years after her initial reaction), we had her CAP RAST tested and it was NEGATIVE! But, her skin test was a 4+. ABout 1 month ago, she had an accidental exposure to peanuts (in the vanilla ice cream there were peanut butter cups). We think this was the first accident and we are not sure how much she had. It might have just been in her mouth and then spit out...BUT, she ate some of the ice cream that the cups were in...Anyhow, the only thing that happened was slight goose bumpy things on the tops of her shoulders and back of neck. HOWEVER, we are not even sure that that "rash" was from the peanut exposure. We will never know. It could have been heat rash b/c it was extremely hot that day. I assume the worst and say that the rash was from the PA. I NEVER had to give her benedryl, the rash went away in the next day or so (typical of heat rash too)..and she never had any other signs. So, is she on her way of outgrowing (well, she is 4yrs old and most studies say that if exposed early - which she was and then kept away for 3+ years - which she was, that she should outgrow it) OR did I just screw up her chances for outgrowing it. We will have her CAP RAST tested again at 5 year old and then go from there. SHe does not appear to be touch or smell sensitive, etc...Anyhow, from my experience, I would say that given she was away from it for 3+ years, her reaction seemed slight, but then again, we don't know how much of the peanut butter she actually had. I wanted to add that my dd did have Zrytec the night before, so she did have an antihistamine in her system--the exposure was early afternoon the next day. Did this "lessen" the symptoms--again, might never know.
[This message has been edited by ks65 (edited August 07, 2003).]

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...