Well, I'm definitely in "shell shock" (pardon the pun!). I suspected that we had an egg or dairy allergy, so the peanut allergy seemed a relief, until I started reading labels. . .and sobbing in the middle of my grocery shopping!
I've hopped on here twice this week to verify restaurants, and found this site to be very helpful. I think my family needs the support this type of website offers.
Can anyone offer some advice before we go back to the doctor in a week. . .he didn't mention needing an epi-pen, should I request one? Any other questions I should be asking him?
The doctor did the skin testing, and her peanut reaction was 22 cm in diameter, and her histimine reaction was only about 8 cm. (whatever that means - the way I saw it: the histimine looked like a misquito bite welt, and the peanut was about a 2" welt with smaller welts surrounding it). She is almost 3 years old, and attends church and preschool and gymnastics - I've notified all 3. Just still unsure of all the precautions and so forth. . .I'm open to any advice!!! Thank you, in advance, for your assistance!
On Jan 28, 2005
Welcome....You definitely need to get epi-pens, multiple packs if possible. The preschool will need some and then I keep two in my purse and two at home in the cabinet. You don't want to just have one with you in case it mis-fires or you accidentally do it wrong.
It sounds as if you are off to a great start with reading labels. It can feel overwhelming at times (we have all been there), but it will get better. Eventually you will have a "safe list" of your own that will make grocery shopping much easier.
Read as much as you can and feel free to ask questions here. Educate your child about her allergy.
I am curious if she has eatEN "may contains" before now (as she is three).
On Jan 28, 2005
I have a daughter in PreK too. Make sure that they have the Epi-Pen and Benadryl on-site and know how to use it. Have your doctor fill out a Food Allergy Action Plan for the school (my allergist used the form on [url="http://www.foodallergy.net)."]www.foodallergy.net).[/url] Not all teachers know or "get" how serious a peanut allergy is, so don't be shy, assume they know very little and stress the importance of avoiding any questionable foods. I give the teacher each year a tupperware box of OK treats they can use if they run into a situation where something is offered that they are not sure of (ie, cookies brought in by another Mom). They appreciate this. DianeL
On Jan 29, 2005
Thank you, both for your comments. I'm feeling much more in control of this today, and the info on the epi-pens is helpful!!!
Jaime, she has been exposed to "may contains" all her life. I had no idea what all was in my pantry. We had wondered why her skin conditions were getting worse, instead of better. Just this week, being peanut-free, and me being vigilant. . . her skin looks like healthy toddler skin again. It's just unreal the dramatic changes in her.
I am continuing to educate myself on manufacturers and restaurants and so forth, so any additional input on books or websites to help with that. . . I am eternally grateful for!
On Jan 30, 2005
Hi and welcome!
My toddler was diagnosed with peanut/tree nut allergy in November and is also milk, soy and wheat allergic.
It does get easier! The people here have great info, and there are good books on food allergies and managing life with food allergies.