Is this possible?

Posted on: Thu, 12/09/1999 - 1:59am
Tina H.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/1999 - 09:00

Is is possible to have a peanut allergy and even with several exposures NEVER have an anaphylactic reaction? Is it possible to consistently only get hives and swelling? Are there any PA adults reading this who have never had an anaphylactic reaction? I have heard that only a small percentage of peanut allergies are life-threatening, but from reading this website it seems that everyone is anaphylactic to peanuts. What is the truth? I know we have to all be careful, but I worry constantly. Pleeeeeese, if anyone has any information on this, please share it with me and others.
Thank you so much.

Posted on: Thu, 12/09/1999 - 4:30am
Mich's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/1999 - 09:00

Hi Tina I know it is a very scary allergy. I am a pa adult who has never had an anaphylactic reaction. And in all honesty never been really all that careful. I'm starting to think I've just been really lucky though. I'm waiting to get my rast/cap results back and see how high they are. I haven't had allergy tests in over 20 years. I have had anaphylactic reaction to fish though. my daughter has a pa too though her score isn't as high as your daughter but she has only had one reaction in five years. I believe that if you are careful(very!)you can have a normal life. Take care.
Michelle

Posted on: Thu, 12/09/1999 - 5:10am
Tina H.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/1999 - 09:00

Michelle, Thanks for responding. How old are you and how many reactions have you had? Did each one get worse? What were your symptoms? My daughter has had only one reaction when she was 13 mos. old. Now she is 8. The doctor said that the test results don't predict what kind of reaction you'll have. Have you heard this as well?

Posted on: Thu, 12/09/1999 - 9:59am
KatieS's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/10/1999 - 09:00

Tina,
It is the people who have anaphylactic reactions who are most affected by this allergy. They are the ones most likely to be looking for help or a support group. There are plenty of people out there who have mild reactions, but they don't come looking for a support group because they aren't that affected by it. So, our chat boards are sort of self-selecting, which is why you see a lot of anaphylactic reactions talked about.
I think that the thing to remember if you don't have severe reactions is that reactions can change over a period of time, so you always need to be careful and know what to do. But if your daughter has only had a mild reaction, it shouldn't be something that takes over your life.
Katie
[This message has been edited by KatieS (edited December 09, 1999).]

Posted on: Fri, 12/10/1999 - 2:13am
Mich's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/16/1999 - 09:00

When I was very young I had 3 reactions to fish, my throat closed and my face swoll up so that I was unrecognizable. I don't even know what happened so that my parents knew I was allergic to peanuts but just that I always have been. I can't even be in the room with peanut butter and my eyes swell shut so if I were to ingest it? I am 30 now so I guess I have been quite lucky. My daughter had a reaction at 13 months too but not since. She was violently ill and had some difficulty breathing. OUr allergist said there is no way to tell what the next reaction will be so we are very careful with her and she carries her epipen always. I just got an epipen myself, after 30 years of allergies! It is scary but I feel you can't let it rule your life.
Michelle

Posted on: Fri, 12/10/1999 - 3:36am
Tina H.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 10/13/1999 - 09:00

Michelle, Thanks so much for your advice. I know that if it was me with the allergy I would be ok. I wish it was me. I just can't bear to think of anything that could possibly harm my daughter, especially something so insignificant like a peanut. I love your attitude about it, though. I think because you lived with it, you know it won't be so bad for your daughter to live with it. You have no idea how you have helped me. Thanks again.

Posted on: Mon, 04/15/2002 - 11:28am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

oliverioa,
Welcome to the boards!
The reaction your son had is definitely possible. You said your neighbor had "wiped off" her daughter's hands. For the residue to be completely gone, hands/surfaces need to be thoroughly washed with soap and rinsed well with water. "Wiping" does only that - wipes it around, it doesn't get it off the skin (or surface - table, etc...).
As for what constitutes an anaphylactic reaction, I understand that to be whenever 2 or more body systems are involved, like hives (skin) and vomiting (digestive/gastro-intestinal). Breathing trouble isn't the only indicator of anaphylaxis.
I'm so sorry your son had a reaction yesterday. I hope he's doing much better now.
HTH!
Take care,
Tammy

Posted on: Tue, 04/16/2002 - 11:26pm
LaurieI's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/04/2002 - 09:00

This is a definite possiblility. Your child probably got peanut oil/residue on his hands, rubbed his face, and had a reaction.
My child also reacts to touch. She has had 3 touch reactions. One reaction was hives. Her eye swelled up with the other two reactions. Luckily, this doesn't happen often to her.
She had one anaphylactic reaction after accidental ingestion. Her breathing was NOT affected.
I would say your childs reaction was a touch reaction but not anaphylactic. Two(or more) body systems are affected during an anyphylactic reaction. It soumds like your child only had one system react. The skin system reacted.

Posted on: Sat, 04/20/2002 - 2:11pm
Carefulmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/03/2002 - 09:00

<p>My daughter`s egg reaction was EXACTLY the same. She ate two bites of scrambled egg and immediately began rubbing her eyes which became swollen and also had hives around her eyes. Since this was two organ systems I considered it to be anaphylaxis and used the Epipen. Her doctor agreed it was anaphylaxis (and also agreed about using the Epipen because of the two organ systems). If it had been only hives or only swelling around the eyes, I would not have used it. I think your child`s reaction could have been avoided if the other mother had bothered to wash her child`s hands. I agree with Lam that rubbing peanut butter around on her child`s hands is pointless.</p>
<p>[This message has been edited by Carefulmom (edited April 21, 2002).]</p>

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...