Is it worth $3000/year for a peanut-free school?

Posted on: Tue, 06/04/2002 - 6:04am
Gadget's picture

pOur public elementary school will not ensure us of a peanut-free classroom for my soon-to-be Kindergartener. They say they will strongly discourage peanut snacks (eaten in the classroom) but cannot "ban" it from the classroom. (yeah, right) The local private school already has a PA student, and has taken the initiative to ban peanuts entirely from the whole school. I know that even if they ease up on the ban, they will guarantee my son a peanut-free classroom. The school costs $3000/year, plus books and uniforms. The other school (public) has made a wonderful effort to educate themselves and is definitely taking us seriously, but my Dh and I are thinking it is worth the $3000 to considerably reduce the risk to our child (he has never had an anaphylactic reaction, though--only localized swelling) The education at both schools is comparable. What do you think? Should we give the public school a chance to prove themselves, or just go for the "safe" school?? I am tired of struggling with this decision, and I can't wait until August when he will be in school and the decision will be final!! LOL!!/p

Posted on: Tue, 06/04/2002 - 9:31am
Chicago's picture

Can't tell you what to do, of course. But it does sound like the administration of the of the private school is sensitive already - which would be less headaches. However I hate for you to feel "forced" into that decision.
Is the education really comparable? If so why is there a private school - religion? How important is religious training within school for you?
I have really loved our private school - PA being just one of many reasons, but also since it is smaller I think sometimes it is easier to get attention/cooperation. (And I pay way more than 3,000 unfortunatly)

Posted on: Wed, 06/05/2002 - 9:56am
river's picture

I'm switching both of my children to a private school next year, mainly because of the peanut allergy situation. I'm just tired of dealing with resentful people and having to be the peanut police in my son's public school. I decided to tighten the belt a little and enjoy living with the reduced stress levels. The parents at the private school enroll their children knowing that this is a peanut-safe school, so you have a community that is supportive. That's worth the $. By the way, 3 grand is a good deal. I'm looking at 15 and that's a bargain where I live.

Posted on: Wed, 06/12/2002 - 3:42am
anonymous's picture

Just raising a question that I dont' know the answer to: in pre-schools, church-based programs do not have to comply with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), which is what protects allergic kids. Any other preschool is legally bound to comply. I'm not sure if religious private schools would have to comply with the same laws as public or non-religious private schools. You need to check this out; for instance, must the school comply with a 504 plan? (As I understand it, ADA plans apply to pre-schools, 504's to school age children). I would go to the school that you can have some legal power standing behind you. "Rhonda" is very knowledgeable about this; you may want to search for some of her posts.

Posted on: Mon, 06/24/2002 - 11:27am
Jacksmom's picture

I too am going the private school route for my son, not only because of PA, but it is a factor. Although, neither the private school or public school is peanut free. The private school however has a much lower teacher/student ratio and I can get mroe involved. Gadget - I caution you not to gain a false sense of security over "peanut free". In my experience "peanut free" may allow people to let down their guard a bit, assuming everyone else is following the rules. If peanuts are permitted, at least the teachers will be extra vigilant (you would hope) to keep your child safe. Also, the private school can change its policy at any time and is not subject to 504, whereas you have more remedies in the public school.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...