Is it possible to eat cooked peas but be allergic to raw?

Author:
Updated:
Original:

My dd is severely PA.. she can eat cooked peas and cooked snap peas without incident. This weekend she had a raw snap pea and within minutes complained her lips itched and her ears itched. Her ears itching were the first signs of her peanut reaction years ago and it's not something she says often. I immediately gave her benadryl and she was fine.. not other symptoms. Coincidence??

On May 8, 2006

Hi: I remember when DS was allergic to eggs, the specialist said to give him boiled egg, slowly, because the cooks out the protien (that causes the allergy). He was fine, but could not have any raw egg, until her fully outgrew the allergy. So this could be the same type of thing, whatever it is that is causing her the allergy is probably cooked out during the cooking process.

On May 8, 2006

I would believe it. Cooking can break down proteins.

Cathy

On May 8, 2006

I know peas and PA are related, but could this be an Oral Allergy reaction? DD has had OAS for years - pretty much every RAW fruit and vegetable cause her OAS symptoms (itchy throat, runny nose and eyes), but she CAN eat most of them cooked, if she chooses to. DD is only newly PA, and it has not yet been serious.

On May 8, 2006

The allergist we saw when DS was first diagnosed suggested trying strawberries cooked (he had been allergic to them, but has since outgrown), since cooking breaks down the allergenic protien. He tried strawberry jelly and was fine. I think it could be similar with other foods, but probably depends on the specific food.

On May 8, 2006

That is exactly what happens to me when I eat sugar snap peas. I love them raw or cooked, but have had to give up the raw ones because they make my mouth and ears itch. I'm fine with the cooked ones. I have the same issue with green beans. I assume it's "just" oral allergy syndrome, but I'm not going to take a chance with raw ones any more.

--Debbie

On May 9, 2006

You guys are SO smart! I called Johns Hopkins and was told it was Oral allergy syndrome. DD has many seasonal allergies.. pollen a biggie.

Thanks so much for the info!

Related