Introduction

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

Hi All!

I'm new here (and new to PA) and wanted to introduce myself. I have twin girls who will be 3 next month. One is allergy-free (so far!) and the other has PA. Annie has had 3 reactions to peanut butter- 1st was a rash, next 2 were hives around her mouth. All 3 were reactions to a very small amount of peanut butter. Pediatrician finally recommended allergy testing last month. She was tested using skin prick, and was positive at a "3+" level. Luckily, she tested negative to everything else (we tested most other nuts and tomatoes, as she has had some skin irritation from ketchup, etc.).

As I'm sure you can all imagine, we are a bit overwhelmed- we didn't realize that PA is as serious as it is... we walked out of the allergist office with a Rx for Epi pens, and we were in a bit of shock. Searching online for info can be a bit overwhelming as well!

I have one question (well, I have LOTS, but I'll start with one)... Annie has had exposure to lots of peanut items without reaction (dog food, "may contain", shared equipment, her own mother sitting next to her eating PB&J!). Do you think we should now try to eliminate these exposures (I'm hoping that MAYBE this could improve her chances of outgrowing the allergy- I know the odds aren't great)... or would you allow her to go on as usual, since she has had no reaction in the past.

Thanks so much- I have already done a lot of reading on the board and gotten some great ideas!!

On May 14, 2005

Welcome Twinmom!

I can imagine how overwhelmed you feel - it seems like just yesterday I felt the same way. Please know that it does get better, and just becomes "part of life" in time.

Yes, by all means eliminate those other exposures. For one thing, PA can be unpredictable and reactions can worsen without warning. My son used to sit next to his brother while his brother ate PB&J, but in time he became airborne sensitive and being near someone who recently ate PB can now cause a reaction.

Nobody knows for sure whether removing those exposures will help her outgrow PA, but if there's even a small chance, why not give it a shot (pardon my choice of words!)?

Best of luck!

Amy

On May 18, 2005

I wondered all of this when I brought my daughter to the allergist this spring after a reaction that led to an ER visit. She'd eaten M&Ms and all kinds of things with warnings on the package with no problem in the past. And she used to just get hives around her mouth, and we hadn't understood how serious PA could be. But our allergist told me not to risk all those things that have "may contain" labels and warnings that foods are processed on the same equipment, etc. It can take only a trace to cause a life-threatening reaction, and a kid that used to just get hives can suddenly have trouble breathing the next time. You'll be lucky and not get peanut protein in a food most of the time, but then sometimes it's there because it got picked up in the manufacturing equipment. We're still learning and adjusting, and we, like some others, still have peanut butter in the house for her older brother (picky eater). Some people would be horrified with me for that, but we try to be very careful. I've read a recommendation to use disposable knives, etc., for making peanut butter sandwiches for other family members. Years ago we discovered that we couldn't put a knife with peanut butter on it into the jelly or DD would get hives from the jelly. And DS always washes his hands after he eats peanut butter, and now he's volunteered to eat PB&J less often. So my recommendation is to start to read labels carefully, avoid all those products with the warnings, research restaurants to learn where and how to eat out more safely, and read up on how to live with this. FAAN's website is good, and there's a book that helped me so much in starting to understand this, "The Parent's Guide to Food Allergies" by Marianne S. Barber. I checked it out from the library. Good luck!

On May 18, 2005

welcome to the boards !!

my son is multiple allergic, and has a few really nasty allergies and he can sit next to people who eat foods that he is allergic to , without reaction. We do however, avoid all foods with 'may contain' labels. ( which is why I have regular eye tests, all that small print!!! lol)

sarah

On Jun 7, 2005

Hi Twinmom,

I have 3 yr. old twins too [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/biggrin.gif[/img]. They're a riot aren't they? One has allergies, the other doesn't seem too. We've taken all peanut products out of the house. It was hard to get used to at first, but I just felt safer. I was too worried I'd mix something up, or he'd grab the plate and then put his hands in his mouth or something...

My dh will take cereal bars (that have peanuts in them to work) and they're on a top shelf so my ds will never get to them, and that's about it.

If you keep pb in the house, you'll need a separate jelly jar for your allergic daughter.

Maybe try some of the pb alternatives? I.M. Healthy Soynut butter to me, tastes very similar to the real thing. I've found it in Stop & Shop.

Good luck, ask away! This site is a great resource.

------------------ ***[b] ALLERGY ELIMINATOR*** [/b]

Meg, mom to: Matt 3 yrs. PA,MA,EA Sean 3 yrs. NKA

Related