Increasing reaction

Posted on: Sat, 04/10/1999 - 6:34am
Terri's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/08/1999 - 09:00

I would like to know if there are individuals who had little reaction (such as itchy mouth or chest tightness) who as they got older had more significant and/or lifethreatening reactions when exposed to peanut?

Posted on: Sat, 04/10/1999 - 10:13am
Jim's picture
Jim
Offline
Joined: 03/15/1999 - 09:00

My wife knows an adult peanut allergic woman. She had indicated that when she was a child she had mild symptoms (e.g. itchy mouth)
During her high school years she started to experience full blown anaphylaxis. She has had 8 life threatening reactions.

Posted on: Sat, 04/10/1999 - 11:18am
dhumphries's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/1999 - 09:00

From what I read, the reactions may get worse with each exposure. That is why limiting exposure is so important. I am hopeful, like many others at this site, that there is some chance children will grow out this allergy, and limiting exposure may increase the chances of this.

Posted on: Sat, 04/10/1999 - 2:34pm
Liz's picture
Liz
Offline
Joined: 01/17/1999 - 09:00

Terri
see also the post in the main discussion group "for Liz..."
I think the increasing sensitivity has something to do with amount of anti body in your system - regrettably, along with your chicken pox and flu antibodies, the pea antibodies stick around, meaning you've got more the next time you have an incident.
Liz

Posted on: Tue, 04/13/1999 - 12:59am
MaryM's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/11/2006 - 09:00

I am a peanut allergic adult. As a child I remember feeling a scratchy throat when I ate foods containing peanuts (I was not officially diagnosed as peanut allergic until 2 years ago). I always avoided nuts because of the uncomfortable feeling in my throat. As I got older I noticed a change when exposed to peanuts, i.e. swelling of my lips. Two years ago I had a full blown anaphylactic reaction.
[This message has been edited by MaryM (edited April 13, 1999).]

Posted on: Wed, 05/12/1999 - 7:19pm
Lizbet's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/13/1999 - 09:00

My pediatrician told me that as my daughter gets older the allergy will get worse not only the peanut allergy but she may find that she is allergic to more kinds of food.

Posted on: Thu, 05/20/1999 - 2:32am
John T.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/1999 - 09:00

My reactions have most definitely become more severe over the years. They progressed from mild irritation from eating Cracker Jack as a child, to full blown anaphylaxis (no BP) several years ago. My doctor (at the time) told me the next reaction my be the last one.

Posted on: Thu, 06/03/1999 - 4:15am
EILEEN's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/06/1999 - 09:00

Do reactions always become more severe? Doesn't the amount of peanut involved in the exposure and the route of exposure (ingestion, skin only etc) play a role? A couple of months ago mu son had the worst exposure of his life and last week (through sharing a straw) had an exposure but it was very very mild but I did administer benadryl right away. Since the peanut protein needs to bind to the IgE bound to the mast cells/basophils to cause the reaction, surely more peanut will degraulate more cells? Any insight appreciated

Posted on: Thu, 06/03/1999 - 10:36am
dhumphries's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/02/1999 - 09:00

Hi Eileen,
Although I cannot offer any insight into the severity of exposure, I was just curious as to how your sons very serious exposure happened a couple of months ago? As always, we are always looking for ways to keep our kids safe, and any suggestions from other parents who have recently gone through the trauma of pnt exposure is greatly appreciated.

Posted on: Sat, 06/05/1999 - 3:34pm
EILEEN's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/06/1999 - 09:00

A friend a daycare offered him a girl scout cookie (the chocolate/peanut variety). His eye closed up (he said he was a Cyclops) and his face was so swollen I nearly wept when I got to him. At the time Liam (then 3 1/2) told me he didn't eat any just held it in his fingers and rubbed his eye. He has talked a lot about the incident since and has said he did eat some. The staff administered benedryl immediately and washed his hands and face. I was "lucky" that one of his teachers is the mother of a multiple-allergic (including peanut-allergic) child. The reaction prompted the center's Director to ban peanuts from his room but (not the center). She had been quite casual about the allergy business until she saw his face. Now she is very vigilant and a great supporter. This whole incident is what prompted me to demand to see an allergist (the pediatricans were very unconcerned up until this point although we knew he was allergic) and to search the web finging this site.

Posted on: Tue, 06/08/1999 - 1:40pm
Lou Anne Caputo's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/1999 - 09:00

My son is 10 years old and hasn't had a sever reaction for 4 years, That was from eating a Enterman's cookie that was not labled to have peanuts. Yet he went into a full blown attack and I almost lost him....2 years ago he woke up one morning with welts from hives all over his body and I rushed him to the ER....they treated him and the same thing happened the next day....They sprayed for bugs the nite before with a truck at 5 [img]http://client.ibboards.com/peanutallergy/redface.gif[/img]o in the afternoon...it was the only thing that could of set him off.. He also has chemical reations that come from various things....He carry's a EPI pack and Benadryl on him at all times..The older he gets the more I worry...He knows what to do but he wants to be normal and not always have to think about it. But he does, we all do.. I have almost lost my son several times, it does get worse....Please don't ever take this lightly... our home is peanut free and we rarely go out to eat other thna Burger King and Pizza Parlors...God Bless
------------------
Lou Anne Caputo

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...