I\'m new to this board

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Hello, this is my first post ever, so bear with me! I'm mom to a 5 1/2 yr old girl with peanut and tree nut allergies (also penicilin) and a 2 yr old boy with egg allergy. My son is supposed to avoid all nuts and peanuts to prevent him from being sensitized. I am so glad I found this website! There is so much information and experience to be learned from here.

On Mar 15, 2005

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your children's allergies. But you've definitely found a great site here! There's a ton of info on labelling, schools and more. Read, read, read labels on everything! The egg allergy is a tricky one, there are some members here who deal with egg allergies as well, they may be able to help you with some questions.

Just curious, do you have a prescription for an epi-pen. And how did you discover the allergies?

Take care,

renny

On Mar 15, 2005

Hi momcat:

Welcome to the board. Hope you find lots of info. Please feel free to ask any questions. We look forward to your input.

Kelly

On Mar 15, 2005

Hello! Well, I've had five years to get used to the idea of FA. DD was a very colicky infant. In fact, I remember saying to my mother that it seemed like my breast milk was poison because she would yank off and scream and spit up. She had big patches of eczema on her cheeks all the time. I tried not eating dairy products, but it didn't help (because she was also allergic to several things I was still eating.) When she was 5 mo old I fed her some rice cereal--the kind that comes with formula powder mixed in. After about 2 bites her face got puffy and red, she got hives wherever the cereal touched her skin and she started to scream and claw at her gums till they bled! I was in a panic and called the doctor. They said to give her Benadryl which quickly helped--thank goodness she was ok!

A few weeks later I noticed that she had hives on her arm where I touched her after handling cheese. Later I took her in to the pediatrician and asked about the possibility of a milk allergy. He said, "Oh, I really doubt it. True milk allergy is extremely rare."

When DD turned one, my mom made her a dairy-free birthday cake, but she got hives from the icing (we didn't know she was allergic to eggs.)

I had heard of peanut allergies, so I wondered if DD was allergic to peanuts. So my mom and I spread a little peanut butter on the inside of her elbow. (In hindsight, that was really stupid, but I didn't know anything about FA then.) Sure enough, in a few minutes there were hives there.

That did it. I bypassed the pediatrician and went to an allergist. DD had a skin test and tested positive to milk, egg, and peanut. We got EpiPens. It took a few accidental exposures for me to really get how serious this is and how sensitive she is.

At age three DD outgrew the milk and egg allergies. At age five, she tested positive for tree nut allergy. She is still highly allergic to peanuts and will get hives from contact with peanut residue. She has never eaten more than a trace of peanut (gave her hives for a week) so I am terrified of what could happen if she had a significant exposure to peanut.

Right now DD is in a peanut-free (supposedly, but that's another story!) private kindergarten. Her allergist says she needs a peanut/tree-nut free classroom and lunch table for first grade. Any tips on 504 plans and how to set this up would be helpful!

I hope this isn't too long! Thanks for listening.

Cathy

On Mar 15, 2005

The colicky, ezcema infant story sounds like my son too. Actually it was a lot smarter to rub the peanut butter on her than to feed it to her!

Look thru the schools section, there's a ton of information there!

Take care

renny

On Mar 15, 2005

Thanks, Renny and Kelly. I'll check out the Schools board.

Cathy

Related