If you\'re a PA parent, do you ever fear becoming allergic yourself?

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 6:47am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

I have this fear from time to time and was wondering if anyone else out there does as well. I guess the reason I fear becoming allergic to peanuts is because we've been told that allergies are hereditary and neither I nor DH have food allergies and I wonder if someday I will become PA since it's in our genes. I never eat peanuts/peanut products while I'm with DS so if I do eat something, which is rare,I'm even more nervous because the Epipens are with him. Crazy, huh?

------------------
Lynee'
Cade PA
Carson NKA

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 9:09am
blair's picture
blair (not verified)

Well,
- I'm one of 6 in a family -
We all have some type(s) of allergy (ies)
3 of us have had medicine same as what's in Epi... 2 have clearly food allergy- two more have questionable food allergy (to shellfish) 4 of us have medicine allergies.
So I'm fearful to try anything new on my skin (had 21 day severe skin reaction to skin cream last Aug) I won't try any shellfish I haven't eaten before and only the ones I've had if I have son's Epi with me (I've questionable allergy to crab) My sis with clam allergy won't try any other shellfish either.
My son is mult food allergic and husband and his family have histories of food allergies that were outgrown.
I am fearful that my non-food allegic son may become allergic- I'm glad that he doesn't like peanuts or tree nuts... but has learned to like shrimp.
I will likely give up all shellfish when son grows up and I don't have extra Epi's....
But thankful that there are still so many safe foods for us to eat that we all could loose a few pounds--- and I save money by not buying make-up or creams.

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 9:17am
blair's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

[url="http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum3/HTML/001248.html"]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/Forum3/HTML/001248.html[/url]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 9:26am
mae's picture
mae
Offline
Joined: 07/12/2002 - 09:00

Funny this topic came up - last week I thought I was getting my first cold sore (at 40!) - a tingly feeling. A couple of tiny blisters on my bottom lip.
Went out for lunch one day and could feel my dips swelling and more blisters. This calmed down, but I started analyzing what I had eaten.
For a few days, the blisters came and went and were irritated by citrus/vineagar-type salad dressings.
Finally went in to the dr. on Thurs as the swelling and tingling were worse and keeping me up at night - more blisters, too. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]
Some people get botox - I'm getting big pouty lips without trying.
Its a viral infection - but I was really thinking it could have been a cosmetic or food allergy reaction. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img] It wouldn't have suprised me if the dr. had suggested it could be an allergy.

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 10:54am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Thank you ATM! I had done a search before posting but didn't come up with anything. Guess I didn't put in the right wording. I'm glad to know that others do worry about this too. Thanks again for the link.
------------------
Lynee'
Cade PA
Carson NKA

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 10:56am
blair's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Cade's Mom, didn't mean at all that you *should* have done a search before posting the question you did. I just knew I had posted it and I didn't think the answers were that old so they would compliment your thread or add to it, but certainly your thread is one onto itself. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 11:04am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

Worrying might be too strong a word, but I do think about it from time to time - not just peanuts, but shellfish and tree nuts as well. I believe I am allergic to scallops; I remember many, many years ago eating them and getting grotesquely swollen lips. I've never had them again since, but can eat all other shellfish.
Since all my allergies have worsened over time and my list of oral allergy syndrome offenders just keeps growing, it really wouldn't come as a shock (pardon my use of words!) if I had a reaction one day.
I sure hope not - I can live without peanut products, but please, [b]please[/b] don't deprive me of shellfish! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/tongue.gif[/img]
Amy

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 1:33pm
mae's picture
mae
Offline
Joined: 07/12/2002 - 09:00

Amy- have you ever experienced the puffy, swollen lip/mouth thing with your oral allergies. Thought the cortisone had kicked in, but when I had a salad for lunch today, my lips started tingling and swelling again [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/rolleyes.gif[/img] Will have to search the oral allergy thread...

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 2:13pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

ATM, I knew that you were being very helpful just as you always are with everyone here on the boards. I don't post much but lurk a lot. I have read a lot of your posts and replies so I almost feel like I know you and knew that when you posted the link for me you were giving me the answers that I was looking for. Again, thank you.
------------------
Lynee'
Cade PA
Carson NKA

Posted on: Fri, 07/16/2004 - 2:21pm
blair's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Cade's Mom, or was I simply being lazy and didn't feel like posting my answer again? [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]
Only kidding.
I notice that Going Nuts very kindly posted her whole response again.
And you've gotten *new* response which is why a *new* thread was important as well IMHO. I just knew that there was an oldie "out there" that *might* be helpful.
Anyway, glad I could help. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Sat, 07/17/2004 - 1:32am
Peg541's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

Last night we had take-out chinese food. DS had McDonalds. After I ate a cacophony of foods (but a decent amount thank goodness) my whole face got red and itchy, my nose ran like a faucet.
I took Benadryl and waited, it worked quickly.
So I guess I avoid Chinese for awhile till I figure this one out.
I will frequently get a "fat lip" from something I've eaten. I count my non food allergic days now, I'm sure I am on my way to something.
Peggy

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...