Hello! I'm 16 and allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts. I'm the only person in my household that is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts so the rest of my family sometimes brings nut covered foods in the house and touch other objects after they eat them. I've only had a reaction once in my life when I was two or three but I was wondering what you guys use to disinfect surfaces that may have come in contact with peanuts/tree nuts? Thanks in advance! :)
By Momobubble on Sep 1, 2015
After researching and hearing people's personal stories I've discovered that good old soap and water work best at removing nut residue. Just get a bucket of hot soapy water and a cloth and wipe down any handles or surfaces after they touch the nutty snacks if that's possible. "Wet Ones" hand wipes also work too, they are proven to get rid of nut residue (handy for on the go too!).
To prevent the contamination from happening at all you could ask your family to wash their hands straight after eating the nutty foods, taking extra measures to maybe turn the facet on with a piece of kitchen roll or their elbow or something so you don't touch the tap after.
By PeanutAllergy.com on Dec 12, 2015
Question of the Week: Answered!
Every week, PeanutAllergy.com answers one of the questions posted in our community.Our Answer:
Thank you for your question. This is a common concern for many people with a food allergy.
There are a few things you can do disinfect dishes at home. Some common suggestions include washing dishes in really hot water and soaking dishes in bleach water. To be extra safe, you can always re-wash dishes after taking these steps. Find out more about methods of disinfection here.
In addition, because it is the holiday season, you should also be careful about what you eat when you are at someone else’s home. In addition to objects, food can also be contaminated. Cross contamination happens when a food that does not cause peanut allergy symptoms comes in contact with another food product that did have peanuts in it. Make sure you make the party host aware of your allergy. You can read more information about cross contamination here.
We also have plenty of peanut-free and nut-free recipes available on the website. You and your family can get together to make different alternatives for snacks like nut-free granola bars. You can see the recipe for these bars here.
We also reached out to our Facebook community with your question, and you can see their responses here.
We hope this information is helpful. Take care!
By afriemuth on Dec 13, 2015
For my daughter who is peanut and tree nut allergic, I use and sell a product called Norwex. It is a chemical free product and the microfiber cloths have silver embedded in them that removes protein and bacteria off of surfaces and prevents cross contamination. It removes 99.9% with only water! www.annfriemuth.norwex.biz
By cathlina on Dec 13, 2015
A study was done a few years ago and Clorox santizing wipes remove 99% of the peanut allergen. Also after cleaning, sometimes I spread aluminum foil over the counter when preparing food.
By vinucube on Dec 13, 2015
If you have not had a reaction in 13 years of such low-level exposure, may you should do nothing about it. Such exposure may be helping you build tolerance. Reducing exposure may make the allergy worse.
Fatal allergy as a possible consequence of long-term elimination diet. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15147454
Further, refined peanut oil is safe for most people with peanut allergy. You can try to add that to your diet, under medical supervision. Since refined peanut oil is not completely free of peanut proteins, it will also help develop tolerance.