How quick a reaction to peanuts?

Author:
Publish date:
Updated on

My son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs and milk. Today he ate part of a chocolate pumpkin that had peanut butter in it. It was the first time since being diagnosed that this has happened, and I was wondering how long it might take to have a serious reaction? I gave him Benadryl right away and had the epi-pen handy, but didn't have to use it. He said that his mouth burned, but there were no adverse effects to his breathing. Any thoughts?

On Oct 29, 2004

Hi, welcome! I have a few questions for you. How old is your son? When was he diagnosed and how? by reaction, or testing? Has he ever had an anaphylactic reaction?

I know you can have reactions hours after and there are biphasic reactions that can happen after the original reaction. Our doctor has instructed us to use they epi immediately if there is any ingestion of peanuts or even suspected ingestion. I would keep a close eye on him. Good luck and let us know if he is ok.

On Apr 26, 2005

My daughter used to just get hives that started pretty quickly after she'd eat or touch peanut butter. Then when she got a little older, she started to get a prickly feeling in her throat which would happen immediately after eating peanuts. Then this past Easter when she accidentally ate a candy with peanuts in it, she got the prickly feeling immediately after she swallowed it, hives around her mouth within a couple of minutes, and a stomach ache within a half-hour, maybe sooner. Then she started to cough, wheeze, and sneeze two hours later. She'd never had an anaphylactic reaction before, so we'd just given her Benadryl immediately and the hives went away and we thought she was fine. I've read that most serious symptoms start within 2 hours but that occasionally it can take longer. My doctor said that Benadryl makes hives go away and can make you think everything's fine when it's not. So we have an action plan involving an Epi-Pen, Benadryl, and a visit to the E.R. now.

On Apr 27, 2005

I've seen Ryan go from a smiling, cheerful kid to vomiting profusely in a semi-conscious state in only 10 seconds. It was that quick on two occasions with the same offending food. Merely biting into a Reese's piece and having the peanut protein touch his tongue produced reactions that quick. After the second time, that was when we knew it was time for food allergy testing. The first time we weren't quite sure and didn't know what was going on.

On Apr 27, 2005

Same with us. All of DS reactions have been faster than instantaneously. Peg

Related