40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Sat, 08/19/2006 - 5:32am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

Simply re-raising. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
Best wishes! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
------------------
If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I would walk up to heaven and bring you back home with me.

Posted on: Sun, 08/20/2006 - 5:55am
Sharonagain's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/13/2006 - 09:00

My son was 12 months old when he had his first reaction (rash or hives around the mouth). Spoke to the paediatrician and he said it was ok to give peanut butter to him again as long as he didn't have any rash on his body. Gave peanut butter 2 more times with same reaction (the rash went away in 30-45 minutes and didn't seem to bother him). I called the doctor and told him to refer me to an allergist and we found out he was allergic to peanuts.
Sharon

Posted on: Mon, 08/21/2006 - 2:03am
MJMD's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/18/2003 - 09:00

My son's reaction was at 18 months as well. Went in for the 18 month check-up, got all the shots, nurse said "he's 18 months old, he can have pb now." Not knowing anything about food allergies b/c we have none in the family, thought "Ok." No one told me to avoid pb /tn during pregnancy or bfeeding. In fact, every pregnancy book I had, advocated pb/tn as a good source of protein (and I had my fair share being a first-time mom [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img] ). Plus in 2002, when he had his 1st reaction, the Amer. Acad. of Ped. recommended 18 months for pb, barring any food allergies in the family. If they had explained then like they do now about the history of family seasonal allergies putting young kids at risk for food allergies, I might have put 2 & 2 together & avoided giving him pn/tn until he was 3, b/c my husband's family is notorious for their seasonal allergies.
That said, he tried pb about 10 days after his check-up and shots & off to the ER we went w/hives and a closing throat. We've been anaphl.-reaction free since, knock wood.

Posted on: Mon, 08/21/2006 - 2:12am
jtolpin's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2003 - 09:00

Umm...
Caitlin reacted from BF'ing at like day 7.
The first 8 mths of BF'ing were HORRIBLE.
First SPT showed + to everything tested...
First RAST was + to everything tested.
Neocate at 8 mths old.
First reaction at 18 mths? No idea 'reaction'... but 'reactive'.
Jason
------------------
[b]* Obsessed * [/b]

Posted on: Mon, 08/21/2006 - 2:20am
3xy1PAinNH's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2006 - 09:00

I haven't had time to read the other replies.
My ds's first rxn was at 18-19 months.
He had eczema and Acid Reflux as a baby. I had done my research and KNEW he had a 70%of asthma or allergies based on those two conditions. We were keeping him away from all highly allergic products.
He was accidentally given peanut M&M's at my oldest sons b'day party. There was 40+ kids, and my MIL knew my DS loved chocolate (we had been giving him 70% pure dark from Lindt) so she gave him the M&M's. I was mad at her b/c it was a) a choking hazard b) his predisposition to have allergies.
HE WAS FINE. No rxn.
Two weeks later while out at Panera I ordered him a PB&J. He refused to touch it (THANK GOD).
The following week I was having a piece of choc. with peanuts. He asked for a piece. We were home. I gave it to him. WIthin two minutes we were dealing with swollen face and hives, and sticking out his tongue. Thank GOD for Benadryl. I called the ped and he told me to give him FIVE tsp! Over the adult dosage. It took about 20 minutes to work.
That is our story. He was RAST tested and came back just under 6. Two years later we just had him re-tested and he is now over 20. He appears to currently not be allergic to TN.

Posted on: Mon, 08/21/2006 - 11:32pm
Timmysmom's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/16/2003 - 09:00

My son's first known reaction was at 13 months. I ate pb&j many times WHILE nursing him, ate peanut products, I had no idea. Looking back at his history of constant projectile vommitting, I'm sure he was having reactions.
I was making my daughter a pb&j sandwich (she was 3 1/2 then). My son (he was 13 months) was running through the kitchen/dining room/livingroom in one big circle. I gave him a lick off of my finger to see if he liked it as he ran past me. By the time he got back to me, 30 seconds later, he was broken out in hives, coughing, and projectile vommitted.
Pediatrician just told us to avoid peanuts. He went to a allergist when he was 2 years old and got the official diagnosis. We were so naive and didn't realize the seriousness of it.
We didn't have a computer or internet access back then. I just read articles that I could find or others would find for me. I became dilligent about reading food labels. He had a handfull of reactions during that time, which looking back were most likely airborne ones (out in public somewhere when he didn't eat anything).
He was not quite 4 when we got a computer and I found this site! I read and read for months, then I finally registered.
He turns 7 on Aug 27th. His last reaction was almost 2 years ago. I ate (guilt guilt as I normally NEVER have anything in the house that isn't safe) a piece of Halloween candy, thinking my son was in bed and sound asleep. He came out of bed an hour later asking for help with his blankets as they fell off the bed. I quickly washed my hands, tucked him back into bed and kissed him goodnight again. Less than a minute later he comes back out of bed saying his lips and toungue are itchy, rubbing his toungue and lips...OMG, reaction from my kiss!! Luckily I gave him benadryl and he was ok. I kept getting up duing the night to check on him.

Posted on: Wed, 08/23/2006 - 5:53am
hrtofluv's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/08/2006 - 09:00

Yep - right on the nose - 18 months exactly (he's 9 now). This was back in 2000, so FA foods were given a go at age 1 year.
I had not had a good pregnancy (very sick except I could keep a PB sandwich down) - same throughout BFing for 13 months. He had severe GI issues, colic, and some projectile type vomiting on and off during the BFing period. We actually had him tested for milk allergy - never once thought about peanuts.
Luckily for us, we have close friends who had a PA son (he's 15 now). My mom had my son while I was at work. She called to tell me she thought he was getting another ear infection cause his ears were red and he was hitting them. So, I put a call into the nurse line to get an appt. My mom called me back 5 minutes later and told me reluctantly that she had given him a bite of a PB cracker and she thought he was reacting to it. She met me at the doctor's office. I would not have recognized my son if my mom didn't have him. Luckily, he had already thrown up the one bite (can't imagine if it had digested). His eyes, ears, nose, forehead, lips were swollen 3 times their normal size - he looked like the elephant man's baby. Once stripped of his clothes - he was covered in hives from chest to feet. He was given 3 shots that day and was watched for another 8 hours.
I never wanted to see that again. At 4, his allergist did the backscratch test and had to immediately remove the peanut and give him benadryl - it was on the top line and the hive spread all the way up his neck and into all the other test spots. His RAST was also very positive (don't know the number though). We have a peanut-free house and he has only had one accidental ingested exposure and one accidental air exposure since.

Posted on: Wed, 08/23/2006 - 2:28pm
the momma's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/23/2006 - 09:00

We didn't know my ds was allergic to peanuts until he was tested at 3 years old. I never gave my kids peanut butter.
He seemed to react to so many other foods when he was young, this is why we had him tested. The only true sign of what food he might be allergic to was beef. He always complained when I would make a steak or roast. I thought he just didn't want to chew the food.
What a dummy I was. LOL
best wishes,
------------------
Renee
today is the tomorrow that you were worried about yesterday.

Posted on: Sun, 08/27/2006 - 11:16am
antree's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/23/2006 - 09:00

My son was tested at 16 mos because of a cough all winter, so I took him to an allergist, because his ped. couldn't stop the cough. He was tested for peanuts, eggs, orange, carrots and milk. Test came back postive for eggs and peanuts. He accidentally ate a peanut butter cup at 28 months when I wasn't looking, he found it in his sister luch bag.{which was years old}
He was rush to the hospital, with hives a cough and in and out of sleep.
He was retested at 31 mos for eggs and peanuts and tree nuts. He out grew the egg allergy but came back positive for tree nuts now. He was colicky as a baby and had reflux, mild eczema. He out grew egg, we are praying for the peanut and tree nut to out grow too. He will be tested again, before school next year.

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

Has your child recently been diagnosed with a sensitivity to peanuts? If so, you're probably wondering how you can make peanut butter...

In the United States, there are no lines of ice cream that are dedicated to being nut-free....

For many people with peanut allergies, baked goods present one of the most significant risks. Even if...