15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on: Mon, 10/02/2000 - 3:16am
CarolynM's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/27/2001 - 09:00

Linda-Jo, I am surprised they are taking the minor reactions lightly. I would think that any reaction at all would make them change their action plan. One person who has been helpful to me is the district school nurse. She has really been an advocate for my daughter, and the principal listens to her!

Posted on: Tue, 10/03/2000 - 11:34am
mindy's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/29/2000 - 09:00

FYI- There is an article on [url="http://www.foodallergy.org"]www.foodallergy.org[/url] that gives statistics on reactions in the class room.It is informative ,short and to the point. Once on the site go to the research page and you will find it there.I hope this helps.
Mindy

Posted on: Wed, 10/04/2000 - 6:43am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

My PA son (diagnosed at 15 months) is now 6, and has one reaction at school, in a supposedly peanut-free classroom. When he was in preschool, a little girl's baby sitter "forgot" and gave her peanut butter filled pretzels for dessert. Either they touched the table, or the PB got on her hands - who knows. Fortunately, the reaction was mild - just some very swollen, itchy, hivey hands. No problems since.

Posted on: Wed, 10/18/2000 - 1:58pm
FromTheSouth's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/01/2000 - 09:00

DMB....Since there are varying levels of sensitivity to p.a., it is difficult to ascertain from other people's experiences whether your child will be safe at school. Your child's level of sensitivity may be much more severe than those who responded to this question. I wouldn't assume a lack of response to your question means that all our efforts have paid off and some schools are well educated on this subject. Though it is encouraging to hear stories of only mild reactions such as the above, I would caution anyone with a p.a. child to ask yourself the following questions: a) How allergic is your child? If airborne and casual contact allergic, it is a whole different ball game. b) How receptive/knowledgeable/trained is the school re. life-threatening food allergies? c) Do you trust them?
Now for a not so encouraging story. I took my child on a field trip to a new hospital. When I informed the ER staff re. my child's p.a., they preceded to tell me about a case just a couple weeks earlier where a child at school was exposed to peanuts and was in the hospital for weeks. Survived but was touch and go for two weeks. They did not think the child was going to make it. Wow! I wasn't expecting to hear that. Considering 90% of fatal food allergy reactions occur at school in young children, it shouldn't have surprised me. I later called some of the private schools to get a feel for how they handle this allergy. One school informed me that they at one time had a student as allergic as my daughter and almost made it without a serious incident until one day the teacher ate a peanut butter cookie (didn't wash her hands) and passed out homework papers. The student had to be transported by ambulance to the hospital. Our allergic doc. has named patients of his by name that died from exposure at school. He feels that teachers are often slow to react (afraid to use the Epi-pen, just want to wait and see how bad it gets. In my child's case, this could mean death).. I don't mean to sound discouraging...Just evaluate your school closely, your child individually, then determine the risk factor. You might be interested in other comments by doing a search under the School section or Reactions section. Many don't post a response on something they have already discussed.
[This message has been edited by FromTheSouth (edited October 19, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by FromTheSouth (edited October 19, 2000).]

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...