How long for first reaction after diagnosis?


My 2 year old son was officially diagnosed with svere PA last week. His CAP-RAST came back over 100 for peanuts and 1.30 for cashews. We started down this road after an anaphylactic reaction about three weeks ago. I know this sounds strange, but I almost feel like I will be more comfortable dealing with his allergy after he has/and we have dealt with our first accidental exposure. More like we will know exactly how much exposure it will take to trigger him. We were not careful at all before the diagnosis, but now I wonder if any tiny exposure will set him off. How long did it take before you actually saw another reaction?

By MikesDad on Apr 8, 2009

I sort of feel the same. Our son wes tested around 2 1/2 years. He reacted severly in under 10 minutes, which freaked out the medical staff, who in turn freaked out my wife totally!

Seems like most of the parents of PA kids we have shared stories with have all been to the hospital for a severe reaction. Our son has gotten hives on occasion (and we've never identified the cause) but never an analphylatic reaction. It's almost like part of me doesn't want to believe the test, like my brain needs to see it for real. I know that sounds awful and I would never do any testing on my own, it's just one of those stupid feelings that if he was really allergic, he would have had an analphylatic reaction at some point, especially since we never read labels before he was tested (though he never ate anything directly containing nuts). I just posted my own question about how serious are foods that are simply processed on equipment shared with nuts.

That being said, the bottom line is or course don't EVER take a chance on your own, it could kill your son. We avoid anything with a nut warning and the "other" side of my brain says that's why we DON'T have any awful stories like our friends. Our son's allergist told us that he might be more allergic after the test, since his reaction was so strong, and that often times reactions are more severe after every exposure.