Hello..Suspected Peanut Allergy

Posted on: Tue, 02/23/1999 - 12:22pm
Julia M's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/23/1999 - 09:00

Hello! My 14 month old daughter, Kelsey, was given a little bit of peanut butter on a cracker at daycare last week. They say that her eyes got red and hives appeared on her neck. She looked just a little reddened when I picked her up, but after dinner was really itching and uncomfortable. I talked to the on-call doctor in my pediatrician's practice, and he said to give her benadryl and keep her away from peanuts. Only after talking to a coworker did I realize how severe peanut allergies can be. I'm exploring the topic on the internet and plan to go to the library too. I'm also thinking of asking for a RAST test to make sure Kelsey really has a peanut allergy. Any advice from someone who has been there and done that? Whoever is working to keep this site up, thank you. I was really surprised that my doctor's practice wasn't very aggressive in providing explicit advice and/or information, although I suppose that, relatively speaking, her reaction wasn't severe. Thanks in advance for the help! Julia M

Posted on: Tue, 02/23/1999 - 3:03pm
Colleen's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/04/1999 - 09:00

<p>Hi Julia:<br />
Join the club- there are lots of us who's doctors haven't been too helpful. I would encourage you to read as much from this site as you can- you will learn so much! Everyone is very helpful and supportive and soon you will feel like you are not alone. You are definetly on the right track doing research and asking questions. One thing you need to know is (which some doctors don't even seem to realize) is that the severity of the reaction can be very different each time! Sometimes not as bad, sometimes much worse. This is not said to scare you, but to inform you. I always thought my son's allergy was just a mild one until he had to be rushed to the hospital in anaphylactic shock! We didn't have an EpiPen or anything because he had had only had 2 minor reactions before. So go with your gut feeling and explore all the options!<br />
Take care.</p>
<p>------------------<br />
Colleen</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 12:55am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

<p>Julia, I would bring your daughter to a board certified allergist and discuss the reaction with him/her. The testing can be done by skin test or the CAP Rast. My son did have the skin test and was positive for the allergy. At a later date, we had the CAP Rast test done because we were testing for multiple allergens. I asked them to test for peanuts, in addition to the other allergens. He was also positive with the CAP Rast for peanuts.<br />
Both tests were not needed to determine his allergy. One test would have been appropriate. The CAP Rast test is nice because you do not have to use peanut extract on their skin - Instead it is introduced to the blood samples in the lab.<br />
I would strongly urge you to join the Food Allergy Network (FAN) and order some of their educational materials. The daycare center needs to be educated as how to keep your daughter safe. The video, "It Only Takes One Bite" would be good for training the staff.<br />
FAN's # is 1-800-929-4040. Their web site is [url="http://www.foodallergy.org"]http://www.foodallergy.org[/url]<br />
Also, when you call FAN, asked if their is a support group in your area. It is helpful to meet other parents with allergic children. The support groups can provide tips, resources and emotional support! </p>
<p>Stay Safe!</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 1:31am
tracy's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/1999 - 09:00

<p>Julia, I would definitely go see an allergist. Unfortunately it's difficult to tell how a child will react from one exposure to the next.</p>
<p>What makes me angry after reading your post is the ignorance of the day care facility! These daycares need to be educated to NOT give small children peanut butter! My neighbor said that her son's daycare did the same thing -- gave 12 month old babies peanut butter -- but fortunately nothing happened. She was very angry because of what *might* have happened.</p>
<p>--Tracy</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 4:16am
Carol S's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/10/1999 - 09:00

<p>Hi Julia,<br />
I experience was almost the same as yours. At 12 months after a tiny exposure my son's eyes got red and he broke out in hives. His second exposure at 1 1/2 was exactly the same. I gave him benedryl that time. My son's doctors nurse had told me to try again at 1 1/2 after his first. Bad advise! Please don't retest yourself. My son's doctor also told me to not bother going to allergist because he will probably tes positive. He said said wait until he is 5 or 6 when his immune system is finished changing.<br />
My advise to you is go to a allergist!<br />
I went ahead an asked who they recommended and went to the allergist. Yes, just as my doctor said he is positive on the RAST test for peanuts but I know for SURE now. Both my allergist and doctor said they have had (a very few) cases of children outgrowing this. So, in case you had her tested several years later and the test was negative you would wonder if she really was positive over the past few years.<br />
It is a terrible allergy but, they are so many worse things that can happen to your child. I've known several kids with cancer. If this the worst thing my son gets in his life - YEA!<br />
P.S. my son loves plain cream cheese and jelly sandwiches - who needs peanut butter!</p>
<p>One thing my doctor said is make sure anyone taking care of your child has the epi-pen just in case.</p>
<p>Good luck,<br />
Carol S.</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 9:09am
Julia M's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/23/1999 - 09:00

<p>Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses! I contacted a food allergy group in my area. They also suggested an appointment with an allergist. We go March 5. They also suggested the FAN site. I have it bookmarked and plan to do lots of reading in the next few days!! </p>
<p>Julia M.</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 9:12am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

<p>Hi Julia,</p>
<p>Please post again with an update on how your daughter's visit went with the Allergist. </p>
<p>Please know you have a lot of support here!</p>
<p>Take care!</p>

Posted on: Wed, 02/24/1999 - 10:06pm
Christine's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/1999 - 09:00

<p>Tracy,</p>
<p>Until the American Academy of Pediatrics puts out official guidelines on NOT giving children a food, the day care centers will continue to do so. The AAP does have a guideline regarding eggs--they suggest that they not be given until a child is one year old. My day care center abides by this, although they do give products with eggs in them (egg noodles, pancakes, etc.). The AAP needs to get this message out. I'm not hopeful that this will happen anytime soon as pediatricians seem really stupid (admittedly) about this allergy. Since the number of allergic children is rising, they may get the message in another 10 years.<br />
Christine</p>

Posted on: Thu, 02/25/1999 - 1:12am
tracy's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/03/1999 - 09:00

Julia,
You might want to check out the "Questions to Ask the Allergist" discussion on the main board (where this discussion is) to get some ideas of what to ask beforehand. I posted a bunch of questions, but keep in mind that my son originally tested as a 5 (out of 6) on the RAST, so I've been told it's likely he'll have a severe reaction (although not guaranteed).
It would also be nice for you to report back on what your allergist says in response to any questions -- we've been comparing notes, which is very helpful.
--Tracy

Posted on: Thu, 02/25/1999 - 2:34am
Mary Catherine's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/25/1999 - 09:00

Ditto to everything stated above. I didn't realize at first how serious this could be or how complicated it can be to manage. We kept him off of the peanut and peanut butter items, but until I read everything I could get my hands on, I didn't realize how many, MANY items contain peanut oil/flour. Read everything you buy several times before you feed it to your child!! Cross-contamination is a big problem. Do all your own baking! This site is a great place to begin to learn about the day-to-day management of this allergy. WE are becoming the experts in managing life with this allergy. And hopefully you won't have to repeat the mistakes some of us have made as we learn along the way. The videos from the FAN are a great resource for you, your family, and the day care. Good luck!

Posted on: Wed, 03/03/1999 - 2:35am
terry's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/16/1999 - 09:00

You may already have this info, There is a Food Allergy Awareness, Support & Training Group in Loveland,Ohio. FAAST puts out a newsletter 5 times a year. For more info you can contact Jennifer Redmond, PO Box 565, Loveland,Ohio 45140. Tel: 513-588-6863. E-mail: [email]FAASTCin@aol.com[/email] Good Luck & Stay Safe!

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...