Hello...Am I in denial???

Posted on: Wed, 05/30/2001 - 7:03pm
robbe's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/31/2001 - 09:00

pHello to all. What a relief to find a website so full of information and support! My husband and I were suspicious that we had a problem long before seeing an allergist. Our son, almost 4, first encountered peanuts when he was 15 months. I'm sure you're all familiar with the "all kids love peanut butter" concept! Even though I had heard that lots of children were allergic to peanut butter, I decided Joel was ready to give it a try. When I held the spoonful of peanut butter out to him, he would just back away. He wouldn't even get close to it. Joel has been exposed to peanut butter on three different occasions. The first(15 months) involved a peanut butter cookie. After eating one bite of the cookie, within seconds he was raking at his tongue and soon vomited. I thought perhaps his dinner didn't agree with him, but felt there was something strange about the whole incident. My mother was the one who introduced the idea that maybe he was allergic. I had always heard that people broke out in hives or a rash, but there were no other symptoms! After he vomited, he was fine. The second exposure involved "ONE" Reeses Pieces(around 2 yrs). He found the candy at my sister's house and once again, within seconds, he was raking at the tongue and vomiting. No other symptoms. The third encounter involved a corner of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Same reaction. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else's child reacts w/vomiting alone. At the time, we were living in the Dallas area, and I asked our pediatrician about the way our son reacted after eating only small amounts of peanut butter. His explanation--Joel just didn't like the taste! It wasn't until we moved that our current pediatrician referred us to an allergy specialist. He recommended that we have the blood test done. I'm not sure what all the numbers mean, but Joel's number from his blood test was "100." It's my understanding that "48" is allergic. Our allerist informed us that this result is extremely high and that we need to be very careful. Do I have this straight or am I confused? We were instructed on how to use the EpiPen, and I feel really overwhelmed with all the information and all the different ways that he could accidentally ingest peanuts. I would really appreciate any feedback! I'm really looking forward to contributing to the site in any way I can. Thanks again./p
p[This message has been edited by robbe (edited May 31, 2001).]/p

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 12:58am
sillyfeline's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2001 - 09:00

A mild allergy is still an allergy. Not every person or every reaction results in full anaphylaxis. Joel vomits. I get itchy mouth & wheezing. Some others get rash. Everybody is different. Sometimes the allergy worsens, sometimes not. Just avoid peanuts & be prepared for any accidental exposure. The blood tests have been known to give false negatives.

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 1:08am
MattsDad's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

Stick around and you'll learn plenty it seems like there's something new every day or two. Our son has never had any peanut or peanut product in his mouth as far as I know. He just touches it to the side of his face and starts to swell up. The first time we thought that it was a bar of soap he had gotten hold of, but the second time there was nothing else to blame that's when we started to get interested. From what I understand reactions to peanuts are totally unpredictable from one exposure to the next. The way Matt did the two times he got a pb sandwich was almost like he was sending a message, "See what this stuff does to me." Yeah I know that's really dumb- but we got the message.

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 1:24am
katiee's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/09/2001 - 09:00

Hello and welcome!! I just thought I would share the analogy our pediatric allergist made when Wade was diagnosed with PA at 18 months.
He said that calling a peanut allergy "mild" is like saying you were a "little pregnant"...a peanut allergy is a peanut allergy! In other words, PA is so unpredictable, you can never tell from one reaction to the next "how" that reaction will play out.
You'll find tremendous support here, finding this site was truly a godsend for us.
Regards,
Katiee (Wade's mom)

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 1:25am
robbe's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/31/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by sillyfeline:
[b]A mild allergy is still an allergy. Not every person or every reaction results in full anaphylaxis. Joel vomits. I get itchy mouth & wheezing. Some others get rash. Everybody is different. Sometimes the allergy worsens, sometimes not. Just avoid peanuts & be prepared for any accidental exposure. The blood tests have been known to give false negatives. [/b]
Thank you for your quick response. From what I understand, Joel's numbers show a severe allergy. Yet, his reaction doesn't seem to indicate the severity that the allergy doctor has expressed. I guess his concern like so many of you is that the next reaction might not be so mild. Thank you again.

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 1:33am
twobapro's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/30/2001 - 09:00

Like Mattsdad said...stick around because there's something new everyday. Like his son, my daughter has never had peanut products in her mouth(as far as I can recall) with the exception of what she was getting from her mother while she breastfed. Tristan was common to reflux at that stage of her life...guess that that would be as close to vomiting that she would get. We live in a peanut producing city and state...home of Planters...so our main fear is harvest season. Which gives me an excuse for our family to visit my family in Texas (and gives me a break from Trisha's family...lol) Anyway...I'm straying, Good luck with it all, and y'all come back now, ya hea'!
------------------
Tristan's Dad

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 1:39am
robbe's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/31/2001 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by MattsDad:
[b]Stick around and you'll learn plenty it seems like there's something new every day or two. Our son has never had any peanut or peanut product in his mouth as far as I know. He just touches it to the side of his face and starts to swell up. The first time we thought that it was a bar of soap he had gotten hold of, but the second time there was nothing else to blame that's when we started to get interested. From what I understand reactions to peanuts are totally unpredictable from one exposure to the next. The way Matt did the two times he got a pb sandwich was almost like he was sending a message, "See what this stuff does to me." Yeah I know that's really dumb- but we got the message.[/b]
I guess it takes time to start understanding the depth of the dangers surrounding food allergies. I'm so thankful that we've found so much help and support. Thanks for sharing your story.

Posted on: Thu, 05/31/2001 - 5:37am
williamsmummy's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/26/2002 - 09:00

hello!
welcome to the world of peanut allergy , l agree with all your replies so far , my son has come up with differant reactions each time he has been exposed to a food he is allergic to, we all learn as we go along, we learnt the hard way that the "nut traces " warnings were there for a good reason and not just to cover the manufacters backs (thankfully this too was a mild reaction , just a 40 mins of vomiting, nasty , but not life threatening)
this is where the boards come in and speed up your info on the dreaded nuts!
look forward to many hours of happy reading on this site!!!
bye williamsmummy

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

You already know that if you or your child has a peanut allergy you need to avoid peanut butter. Some...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...