Hello! I am new, and posted a message in another forum before i realized this one was here, sorry.
I live in NC with non-food allergic hubby and 15 month old PA son Tyler. I have mild food sensitivities but nothing I would classify as an 'allergy'.
I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help with (I did my best to ensure these weren't covered recently).
1. Are Medic Alert bracelets ok for babies? I called up medic alert but they of course were hesitant to promise that they were safe
2. Peanut oil - has anyone experienced a reaction? My son's allergist seemed very knowledgeable about PA, but I was surprised when he told me Tyler could have items cooked in peanut oil, I have been avoiding it entirely just in case but I would love to know your experiences.
So thrilled to have found this site!
On Jul 2, 2003
I, too, have a Tyler - he's 8 months. He's not PA that I know of yet. My 3 year-old is PA - we have a history of milk allergy, eczema, asthma so I was told to wait until he was 2 to try peanuts. I waited until he was almost 2 1/2. His lip swelled right after he took a bite of the cookie - he never swallowed anything. He immediately started crying to get it out of his mouth. Then he lost his voice. We ended up in the ER that night with severe breathing problems.
It's been almost a year now and I'm still learning! This site is great. I'm sure you'll find lots of information and support - I have. His allergist said eating products containing peanut oil or cooked in peanut oil was up to me and my comfort level. If it's heat-refined, it's not supposed to contain any of the reaction-provoking protein. But it could still possibly contain protein and I think most people treat it as a "may contain traces" and not eat it. We have stopped going to Chick-Fil-A for that reason. My son has never had a reaction there as far as I know but sometimes it's hard to tell with him. He has asthma that can be brought on by a cold or triggered by allergies. He had a case of the worst croup I've ever heard the night after he had a granola bar (that was just after he was diagnosed and before I was fully educated).
I'm just now getting him a Medic-Alert bracelet - didn't have one before since he was with me all the time or at church. But after reading lots of input on these boards I realize I should have had one lots earlier. He's going to preschool in the fall so we're preparing on that front. The school has had PA kids before so it'll be a refresher for them.
Welcome - sorry you have to be here but it's a great resource and you're not alone!
On Jul 2, 2003
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! We consider ourselves extremely blessed that Tyler's allergy was initially found via a scratch test rather than from a reaction. He has had eczema, reflux, and a wheat sensitivity. Luckily he has outgrown all but the eczema and the PA (and of course we are holding out hope there too).
Ty is in a home daycare part time and that is working pretty well but I fear for the day he goes to school. Am strongly considering the Medic Alert bracelet but he is not past the putting-everything-in-his-mouth phase yet.
Best wishes that your younger child will avoid the PA!
PS. We are in NC, too, in the Raleigh area.
On Jul 3, 2003
Mom to Tyler:
Welcome to the board. This is a great place for advice and support.
In my opinion, peanut oil is not safe. There has been a lot written about peanut oils and their processes (there is hot pressed and cold pressed, one is 'supposedly' safe and the other is not). Personally, I do not feel comfortable letting either of my PA children eat anything that has peanut oil, or is labeled "may contain" or "processed in a facility that.." If it says "peanut" anywhere on the package, we don't buy it. Also, beware of non-food items which could also cause reactions, such as sunscreens and lotions! (My DD reacted to Banana Boat - peanut oil in the lotion).
PA is a very unpredictable allergy. A person may react strongly to it at one point and barely react at all at another point. Full avoidance is your best route.
As for the Medic Alert bracelets, I just recently got them for both my 7 year old PA son and my 2 year old PA daughter. We got the 'sport band' kind. So far, so good. My 2 year old didn't want to wear it at first and cried, but luckily my best friend (who she LOVES) wears all these punk bracelets, so we could say to her... "Look, your bracelet is like Jeremy's!" Now she pays no attention to it and we NEVER take it off.
Because she is both so young and has such sensitive skin, I didn't want to risk getting the metal band Medic Alert, as I am allergic to many metals myself. I will have to buy her a few more bands as she grows (I cut this one small enough to fit her wrist and burned the end with a lighter so it wouldn't fray, but it won't fit her forever!)
Take a look at the sport band kind. Personally, I think they are better than the metal ones for little, active ones.
Good luck, and again.. welcome! ~Melanie