Hello

Author:
Publish date:

Hello, I would just like to introduce myself. I just found out that my 2yr old daughter has a peanut allergy this past friday. I am still trying to deal with it, as she is my first, and I stumbled upon this website-which is great. Like most first timers, I have thousands of questions.

Background: She turned 2 last month, and I gave her some PB (with the ok of my pedi, as me or my husband do not have any allergies) when I gave her the PB she developed and instant sunburn like rash around her mouth...got her tested...they did the skin prick test, and her peanut prick blew up. I forgot to ask, but is the size of the hive that form a direct indication of the severity of the allergy? is there any such thing as a "mild PA"

Blessings and Thanks!

On Mar 9, 2008

Welcome Newallergymom. Peanut allergy is very unpredictable. The testing results do not indicate what kind of reaction or the severity of the reaction that someone can have. My dd who has tested at the high end has had no reactions since. Others who have tested lower have had frequent and/severe reactions, or none at all. Did your dr. prescribe an epipen? Ask away, there are many here to help.

On Mar 9, 2008

Thanks SkyMom!!

Yes the doctor prescribed us with the Twinject-they are all labeled and hopefully will never have to be used.

When you found out about the diagnosis, did you stop giving your child all the foods that she was eating before that said "made in a facility that processes tree nuts, peanuts..." or did you continue with those?

how did you know your daughter had a PA?

thank you

On Mar 9, 2008

Glad to hear about the Twinject and concur I hope they never have to be used! Yes, my dd and the rest of our family discontinued with may contain, made in facility etc.

I was having a pbj sandwich and she stuck her finger in my sandwich and then in her mouth. She went into anaphylaxis and went by ambulance to er. She was seen by an allergist shortly thereafter where she was diagnosed. That was a little over nine years ago now and she has had no further reaction. We feel very blessed.

On Mar 9, 2008

So happy it was only once-hopefully never again!!!

how often does she see her allergist? Mine does not want to see me for 2 more years, until she is 4...then maybe try a food challenge.

On Mar 9, 2008

My dd sees her allergist every year as unfortunately she has gained new allergies every year or so. However, if her allergies stay consistent we will go to every other year. Great news that your allergist is so optimistic.

On Mar 10, 2008

Thats what I hope, but you never know :( Thank you for reaching out to me, as I am brand new here...I am sure I will see you on the boards :)

On Mar 10, 2008

Welcome to the board! All though I am sorry about your DD dianosis. It can be so over-whelming at first and I found the best thing that really helped me was just reading all that I could and this board is GREAT for that!

I have 2 boys, my oldest has environmental allergies and my youngest was diagnosed 3/4 months old with pa. The reason I had him tested was because his eczema was getting so bad and I researched and saw sometimes eczema is due to food allergies. So I began by cutting all dairy out of my diet since that is the most prevelant allergy. It didn't seem to make a difference. Finally we were referred to an allergist where they did the SPT. For him his wheal was 9+ mm. His dustmites were high but not considered positive. From everything I've read there is no way to know what a reaction might be, from any test. That was my main concern too when I found out about his allergy. The "what if" question drove me nuts! Since then I have began to relax a little and focus more on just keeping him away from nuts and getting into a routine with our pn/tn-free lifestyle.

We have been to our allergist only twice so far. The first time to have the SPT, the second to see how he was doing and get the TwinJects then we will go back in May (1 year from 1st test) and do another SPT and see if there is any difference in the size of the wheal. We are getting ready to move and when we do and I find a new allergist I'm going to ask for a CAP RAST annually just to monitor the numbers.

Again, welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you have. I'm still fairly new to this too but there are so many helpful people and resources on here.

On Mar 10, 2008

Hi and welcome,

A few thoughts, one I am surprised your dr. would suggest a food challenge in 2 years without watching the Rast#'s for your child. You mentioned SPT testing did they also do a Rast (blood draw)? If there is hope of child outgrowing a food allergy my allergist does a yearly Rast to watch the #'s in hopes they are going down which can indicate the child is outgrowing.

Two, no we did not immediately take away everything my son had "always" had. However I wish we had. He had a reaction within a month of diagnosis. I had always given him french bread from the store. Well our paper work said to avoid bakeries but I was thinking avoid the open bins etc. I was wrong wrong wrong. I now avoid all bakery items except big name company sandwich bread. We also avoid all may contains.

I highly recommend getting a book or 2 or 3 - the info you get from the dr's office typically isn't enough to help with decisions on how to live with peanut allergy

On Mar 10, 2008

Thanks to all for your kind responses and wisdom!!

DD had a wheal of 9mm as well, with a flare of 30 mm...does anyone know what that means..other than she has a PA? I never asked the question, becuase I was so flustered.

The doc decided that given her mild reactions to PB/peanuts in the past (just a sunburn look on the face) the the blood test might render a low number and a false negative...so I guess that is why he did the SPT. It was just peanuts and not tree nuts...but I am avoiding both. In my travels I am finding that General Mills is really good about labeling and Whole Foods MArket as well.

thanks again!

On Mar 11, 2008

My son was diagnosed with PA about a month ago. "The Peanut Allergy Answer Book" written by a Dr. Young was a very good book I thought, I would highly recommend reading it as it has been a good source of info for my husband and I and is a very easy read.

Related