hello

Author:
Updated:
Original:

I have known about this site for a few weeks but this is the first time I am posting. My 18-month-old dd was diagnosed with a PA after accidentally eating a few bites of a PB cookie (the cookie wasn't labeled at all at a local bakery). Previously, we had always been careful with her because we have lots of environmental allergies, asthma and eczema in both mine and my hubby's families. An hour after eating the cookie, dd broke out in hives from head to toe, started to cough, choke and wheeze. My mom, who is a nurse, realized dd was having a reaction to something, so we gave her some Benedryl and called 911. They gave her a couple of breathing treatments, more Benedryl, and finally some IV steroid medication at the hospital, and she recovered pretty quickly.

We have been to see an allergist since then, and he confirmed through a blood test that she is highly allergic to peanuts. She seems to be negative to all the other major foods at the moment, knock wood!

I was lucky to find this website and am glad there are others with this problem to talk to. It was especially helpful at Easter because I was able to get safe chocolate and cupcakes due to the links and postings I found here. Thanks! [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

On Apr 28, 2005

Hello and welcome. That was very fortunate that your mother was present at his first reaction! It definitely is a plus to have medical personnel in the family. This site is a great place for me also. It really does help when you can turn to people in the same situation as you. See ya on the boards!

renny

Related