Have Never seen anything like it!

Posted on: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 6:08am
M. Mariano's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/30/2007 - 09:00

We are still not sure what caused our daughters reaction this morning. HUGE, I Mean huge and red hives everywhere! Her aunt was kissing her everywhere after drinking a 100% Whey protien drink 5 min. before, yes we know our daughter is allergic to milk but this reaction was just too impressive for a contact reaction....or was it? Has anyone experienced a contact reaction with SEVERE hives, all over her face and some on her body and her right eylid swelled up on top and bottom. Wow - I'd hate to find out what were to happen if she ingested some!
Another culprit that may have cause it is environmental allergies, the Dr. at the ER said the molds are super high right now. We have an app. with our allergist to test for those soon. Would a envirmental reaction possibly look like this? Very, VERY scary today! The Dr. prescribed three days of PREDNESDONE, I'm not sure if I should fill the prescription, as I'm not a big fan of medicine. But than angain this has never happened before. Do you think this drug is necessary? She looks back to normal. Thanks for your suggestions. - Mindy

Posted on: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 7:08am
krasota's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/24/2000 - 09:00

Whey protein drink = super concentrated whey protein. It's sort of like taking peanuts, removing any fiber and carbs, and smearing the oily protein all over your body. So, yes, I'd expect an intense contact reaction in a milk-allergic child!
I've had severe reactions from environmental allergies, too. I sometimes need corticosteroids in order to get my immune system to settle down.
ygg

Posted on: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 10:03am
Momcat's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/15/2005 - 09:00

DD used to be highly allergic to milk. One time I touched some cheese and then touched her bare skin without washing my hands. Within a minute she had welts in the shape of my handprint!
I would definitely suspect the milk over the mold.
Cathy
------------------
Mom to 8 yr old PA/TNA daughter and 4 yr old son who is allergic to eggs.

Posted on: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 10:52pm
PAMomInPA's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/04/2006 - 09:00

My son's first reaction, although we didn't know it at the time, involved the most unreal fist-sized hives all over his head. And they came out really quickly. I was transporting pb fudge for a bake sale. I have no idea what kind of contact he had with it because at the time the ped wrote it off as a virus (grrrrrrrrrrr) since something was going around the daycare and he vomitted later (which I now know was a secondary reaction). It was almost a year later that I found out that he was allergic to peanuts.
Anyway, I took him out of the car and put him in his stroller he was fine. One block later I looked at him and he had these monster hives like I had never seen before all over his head and neck.

Posted on: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 11:37pm
mistey's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/18/2004 - 09:00

Last summer I was sitting in the grass playing with my son. I instantly was covered in hives the size of my palm all over my legs. I tried Benedryl for 2 days and I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to go on Prednisone as well. It helped out tremendously. I just wished that I had not suffered for 2 days! Next time I will call ASAP!

Posted on: Fri, 08/10/2007 - 12:08am
Going Nuts's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/04/2001 - 09:00

Oh yes, DS has had contact as well as airborne reactions that looked that bad. Doesn't surprise me at all.
Amy

Posted on: Fri, 08/10/2007 - 4:02am
k9ruby's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/25/2004 - 09:00

Oh yes! Not only that, but FULL BODY HIVES!

Posted on: Fri, 08/10/2007 - 11:56am
Ree's picture
Ree
Offline
Joined: 12/31/2004 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Momcat:
[b]DD used to be highly allergic to milk. One time I touched some cheese and then touched her bare skin without washing my hands. Within a minute she had welts in the shape of my handprint!
I would definitely suspect the milk over the mold.
Cathy
[/b]
The same thing happened with my DS! 2 hive-handprints on his belly from my DH picking him up after putting cheese on burgers.
I'll say this - my ds has worse contact reactions than ingestion. He's dermatographic, so I'm guessing that's why. He's eaten goldfish crackers by accident and nothing happened.
That said, we still don't treat his allergy lightly, nor should you.
How scary that must've been!!

Posted on: Fri, 08/10/2007 - 12:09pm
momll70's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/26/2006 - 09:00

Yes you can have this kind of reaction from contact. Some people can even get ana. reaction. My son was kissed by 3 people who ate cookies with some type of nut in it that were in a box with other cookies covered in sesame seeds. (He is PA/TNA and sesame allergic). His whole half of his face was all red down to his neck. Eyelids and all. Comepletely red. No separate hives. Just all red. This was his worst contact reaction. I was afraid it would turn into an internal reaction. Had I known that the cookies the other people ate had nuts in it I would never let them kiss him. My son didn't eat them because we avoid bakery goods. It was horrible.

Posted on: Sat, 08/11/2007 - 2:33pm
PinkPoodle's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/12/2007 - 09:00

Sounds like the contact reaction my DD had last summer at indoor play place. My son told me AFTER she had hives on her knees and elbows that he saw a Reese's wrapper and some candy smeared in there...that is why they came out. It didn't happen instantly...it was about 10 minutes later and her knees and elbows were about 4 times their normal size. We were already in the car at this point. I thought maybe she got poison ivy or something. Pediatrician saw her the next day and said it was absolutely not poison ivy; it looked like a tactile reaction. She didn't improve and saw the allergist the next day...she was started on Prednisone and was on it for 1 week. The hives on her elbows and knees were so huge it was horrifying. THANK GOODNESS I had washed her hands immediately after coming out of the tubes--we do it routinely. I didn't think about her knees and elbows--duh-live and learn.
I think your DD reacted to the kisses...
I hope she feels better soon!
Nicole

Posted on: Sun, 08/12/2007 - 10:39pm
smudgesgarden's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/26/2006 - 09:00

my son has had this kind of reaction to certin dogs. spcifically my mil's dog, who has a deformed jaw so she druels all the time.
he gets one slobbery kiss from the dog and bam! huge welts where ever the kiss was.
we have to give him his zertec and bennadryll before entering her house.
erin

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...