Has anyone had a anaphylactic reaction from residue traces,or has a child that has?

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 1:20am
alwaysonmymind's picture
Joined: 09/14/2006 - 09:00

I was just tryinf to get some input on trace or residue reactios,as my son is allergic to peanuts and to stay away from nuts.
sometimes he gets splotchy face when playing around other children or a drop in classes even ones that are nut free labeled.
and now he is started kindergarten yesterday and the school is not nut free.
I always wondered if the splochy face is from traces, but it always goes away within hours with no meds.
so i figure if he doesnt eat anything but what i give him he should be fine.

i just wondered if anyone has had to use a epipen from traces or residue that isn't ingested , but from like holding other peoples hands or touching ,sharing school supplies, and then putting his fingers in his mouth.

any input is greatly appriciated
Logan's MOM

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 2:13am
anonymous's picture
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

We have not had an anaphylactic reaction from contact only, nor one from ingestion by way of contact.
By "ingestion by way of contact," I am referring to what you wrote at the end of your post: "... and then putting his fingers in his mouth."
In my book, anytime the allergen gets inside the body, it's like an ingestion and should be treated as such. It's *internal* then, and could cause bigger problems than just hives at the contact spot on the skin.
The easiest way to cut down on these exposures is to wash hands often, especially before eating anything. Anytime we are out, my son knows to try not to touch his face in any way until he can get home to wash his hands, or at the very least, use wipes on his hands for the moment.
Another thing that has cut down on contact reactions for my son is taking a daily antihistimine, Zyrtec.
Good luck to you and your son.

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 2:35am
bethc's picture
Joined: 04/18/2005 - 09:00

Yes, my DD has had a mild anaphylactic reaction from residue. There was a cake with peanut butter frosting around at a relative's house. People had eaten it earlier. Then when my DD ate supper, there was invisible residue somewhere. It may have been on her milk glass or fork, that we didn't wash every bit off or that it picked it up in the dishwater. Or it may have been on the vinyl tablecloth and her fork touched that spot. She got mouth pain, hives on her chin, and a stomachache. The reaction resolved without an Epi-Pen, although we probably should have used it, since her plan called for it. It was hard at the time to believe she could have gotten some peanut protein when we couldn't see it, but mouth pain and hives don't lie.
If peanut traces end up in their mouth somehow, from their fingers in their mouth, their fingers on their food, or their food or utensils touching the traces, they can have an ingestion reaction.

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 3:30am
Boomer's picture
Joined: 02/09/2007 - 09:00

My son got an "itchy" throat from being in the same room (over a year ago) as a person who was making a PB&J. I wasn't smart enough to give him a shot, gave him 2 doses of benydryl, he had hives for days. Stupid me then learned how serious this is. Dr. told me I should have given him the shot and not to wait until he can't breath. Having said that, yes, I do believe that it can happen. Every exposure is putting him closer to this possibility.
I would start asking for hand washing when students arrive and to have a peanut free room.
Good luck!

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 4:39am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

[i]Technically[/i] 'anaphylactic' or [i]'OMG anaphylaxis'?[/i] There is a difference, in our experience.
Technically anaphylactic (as in multi-system symptoms) [i]ALL THE TIME.[/i] We leave the house, you can [i]count on it.[/i]
No matter how cautious we are, it HAPPENS.
Just moving away from the source (aerosol exposures and occasionally skin contact) is enough, when combined with very strict [i]no hand-face contact[/i] and handwashing rules. (Any time we've been out of our house, we [i]all[/i] wash our hands.)
We don't tend to freak out about these anymore, but they happen several times a month. A runny nose and a few hives on exposed skin doesn't call for epi... [i]in our experience.[/i] If it did, the local ER would have a room with DD's name on a plaque by now. (Not looking to argue with someone who would administer epi for those symptoms-- that's fine. But in DD's case, she'd basically live at the ER if we did.)
I cannot rule out microscopic contact leading to something worse, however. This is because we have a grade 4 'OMG anaphylaxis' event under our belts that WAS NOT caused by overt ingestion of a food. We don't [i]know[/i] what caused it.
So is it possible? IMO, [b]yes.[/b] But there really is only so much you [i]can[/i] control, no matter what level of effort you expend. (You'll have to trust me on this one!) [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/wink.gif[/img]
This is all about adjusting your comfort zone to what your child (and your conscience) can tolerate. Period.
Good luck. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 8:06am
CVRTBB's picture
Joined: 11/23/2001 - 09:00

My son has had several anaphalactic reactions to residue. One was to residue on a basketball. One was to residue on a computer keyboard, and one was to residue on a lunchroom table before school even started. So three in all that all required epi pens and trips to the ER.

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 8:09am
krasota's picture
Joined: 04/24/2000 - 09:00

I have, but not from peanut. I've been triggered by soy and latex this way.

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 8:11am
rebekahc's picture
Joined: 12/02/1999 - 09:00

When DS was 3 he had a major anaphylactic reaction at the mall. We initially thought he had reacted to sesame seeds but came to find out he is not sesame allergic. The only other thing it could have been was from playing with a toy microphone in a toy store. He went into the store with dad, played with the microphone, and came out to me clutching his throat and only able to talk in a squeak. Within seconds he became very lethargic. The reaction progressed from there while we were at the ER. He continued to have hives and wheezing for several days.
That was seven years ago and he has not had major anaphylaxis from airborn or contatct since. He has had swollen eyes and wheezing from airborn several times over the years.

Posted on: Wed, 01/10/2007 - 12:41pm
lisa from Australia's picture
Joined: 04/02/2002 - 09:00

My DD and I have both had reaction to "left over" residue on a knife. We had a reaction to a plain cheese sandwich. They must used the same knife to cut/butter sandwich that had made p/n butter sandwich. Fortunately reaction was not bad, itchy mouth for me taken care of with an antihistamine and a couple of hives for dd (at that time I wasn't 100% sure if she was allergic to p/n but since we both had reaction that just confirmed it for me - I actually had appointment with allergist for official testing scheduled for about 2 weeks later)

Posted on: Mon, 01/15/2007 - 2:15pm
alwaysonmymind's picture
Joined: 09/14/2006 - 09:00

Thanks to everyone for your words
Everyday i wonder if i am putting Logan at risk by letting him go to this school with no nut policys what so ever, except for the teacher being aware. parents arent even notifyied that the school has nut allergic children or even mention its not a good thing to send . even just a nut free classsroom would be better than othing.
i feel at a lossed end , i'd rather homeschool than put him at even minimal risk . but this is a no policy school ,that just doesnt seem to want to make changes for us. but homeschooling is not suffice, and he loves people and interacting and loves the kindergarten. i always wonder is it worth the risk and do i put to much responsibility on him to keep himself safe, it comes to he's a kid and no matter how smart my son is about his allergy, traces are invisible and could be deadly for him ,
is it worth the risk?
i always question that , if he was in a some what nut free or nut safe aware , not allowed to bring or not supposed to bring to school , at least the risks would be minimized.
Thanks again for the input
Mom of Logan

Posted on: Mon, 01/15/2007 - 3:40pm
Peg541's picture
Joined: 12/29/2002 - 09:00

My son always went to schools where there was PB and food all over the place. He waited for car pool under a tree that had PB bird feeders hanging in it.
He's 22 now. He is airborne sensitive but he's only had TWO ingestion reactions. They were big but he did fine.
He stayed away from the PB. Honestly we did not know back in 1989 how serious PA could be but he did fine.
I'm sure he was uncomfortable and he did miss out on stuff but he was used to that and rolled with the punches. He knew he could not have the treats kids brought in and we did not have safe food there for him. He just rolled with it.
This is not advice but my son did well with NO restrictions on the schoo.
And yes it was a very small K-8th school and a smaller High School. That was our one concession to his PA. We paid for private schools to keep him safe but also because our local Public schools here in LA are the worst.


Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...