Great Value Soy Nut Butter!

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 8:24am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

Well, chalk one up for Wal-Mart! LOL!
I found Great Value Soy Nut Butter today at Wal-Mart. It also states that it's gluten free.

I had to buy some and it does taste good.
Now, if my hubby will let DS try some it would be great.

DH is afraid DS (5) will get it mixed up with the real thing. DS is careful not to eat other people's food. Any ideas on that one????
Sorry, I posted twice by accident!!

[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 14, 2006).]

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 11:42am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by TinaM:
[b]Well, chalk one up for Wal-Mart! LOL!
I found Great Value Soy Nut Butter today at Wal-Mart. It also states that it's gluten free.
I had to buy some and it does taste good.
Now, if my hubby will let DS try some it would be great.
DH is afraid DS (5) will get it mixed up with the real thing. DS is careful not to eat other people's food. Any ideas on that one????
Sorry, I posted twice by accident!!
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 14, 2006).][/b]
Did you call to find out if it's peanut and tree-nut free? Are there warnings of shared equip on the jar?
I ask b/c the ONLY truly (no shared equip) pn and tn free soybutter I've seen is IMHealthy brand and also the Trader Joe's brand (IMHealthy in disguise).
So, I'm curious what the GV one at Walmart really is??
Adrienne
------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Sat, 07/15/2006 - 2:47am
tidina's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/26/2005 - 09:00

ive only talked to IM healthy and they said they are nut free

Posted on: Sat, 07/15/2006 - 3:25am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by tidina:
[b]ive only talked to IM healthy and they said they are nut free[/b]
yes true - and Trader Joes brand of soybutter (crunchy and natural) is IM Healthy. TJ's pays them to supply it and then TJ's puts their name on it. This was confirmed by TJs for me since I expressed my concern that most of us only trust IM Healthy...then c/s rep told me who supplied it.
Adrienne
------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Mon, 07/17/2006 - 7:37am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I haven't called yet (since I'm the only one eating it, I was being lazy about calling).
The actual name they give it is "Peanut Free Smooth Soy Butter" This is on the container.
The container says that it is gluten-free, product of Canada and there's an allergy warning of it containing soybeans. No shared eqip. warning (I don't buy shared equip. warning products anyway).
Since GV seems to of labeled everything within 50 feet of peanuts, I'd be surprised if it came anywhere near peanuts! LOL! However, there's an awful lot of CYA out there also.
I'll call and post what they tell me!
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 17, 2006).]
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 07/18/2006 - 10:50am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I called and talked with "Kerri" at Great Value # is 479-273-4752.
Kerri said that she checked with their supplier and the soy nut butter is 100% peanut free and no possibility of cross-contamination in all of the plant.
I encourage anyone interested to give Kerri a call.

Posted on: Mon, 07/24/2006 - 1:59pm
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

we bought and tried this product from one of our local wal mart stores. i didn't like it as much as sunbutter (creamy), which i find to be thicker and more like pb. i thought the soybutter was more runny like a sauce. i have mixed it well and refrigerated it (upside down) to make it seem thicker. the good news is that my older daughter (non-PA) loves it more than sunbutter and pb so now she has a nice alternative. she's been eating a bit of it every day. way to go wal-mart for starting to carry alternatives to pb!!!!!
now if we can just get them to carry sunbutter, creamy.................

Posted on: Tue, 07/25/2006 - 12:58am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I'm glad your daughter likes it joeybeth.
It is great to have an alternative!
I have bought and tried the sunbutter and I do like the taste, but to me it doesn't taste as much like PB as the soybutter.I can really taste those sunflower seeds in the sunbutter! However, I like sunflower seeds, so that's o.k.
I agree the soybutter is not as thick, but to me it tastes more authentic. Just my opinion and taste buds!

Posted on: Tue, 07/25/2006 - 3:32am
Sarahfran's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2000 - 09:00

Mmmm, I'll have to see if our Wal Mart stocks that--it sure would be a nice alternative to driving so far to get to Trader Joe's for soynut butter!
Sarah

Posted on: Sun, 11/26/2006 - 8:05am
MommyMegan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005 - 09:00

I want to try this..is it in the same aisle as the PB?

Posted on: Mon, 11/27/2006 - 12:52am
tidina's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/26/2005 - 09:00

i really like this, better than peabutter!!

Posted on: Mon, 11/27/2006 - 3:57am
MommyMegan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005 - 09:00

I bought this today at HyVee for 4.78 a jar.
My experience is posted on the main board. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
(theI.M. Healthy brand)
[This message has been edited by MommyMegan (edited November 27, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 11/28/2006 - 11:58pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Yes, it's (WalMart brand) right there amidst the PB.
We tried it, but prefer IM Healthy brand.
The WalMart kind had a peanuttier taste, but was toooooo oily (even after sufficient stirring and refrigerating).

Posted on: Wed, 11/29/2006 - 4:06am
stephi13339's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/09/2006 - 09:00

We buy the soybutter at Walmart too. I was so shocked when I saw it the first time. Dh and I don't like it-- it has a weird kind of after taste. We prefer Sunbutter. My oldest non PA dd actually prefers the soybutter to sunbutter. Go figure.

Posted on: Thu, 12/28/2006 - 5:13am
seanmn's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2003 - 09:00

I bought this for the first time today. Can you substitute the peanut butter with the soy nut butter in recipies? I just wanted to make sure before I made something.
Jan

Posted on: Thu, 12/28/2006 - 9:57am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I agree it is oiler, but I usually just stir it in the jar and it's like new again. Just my two cents!
seanm, I haven't tried it in recipes yet. I have been wondering the same thing???

Posted on: Sun, 03/04/2007 - 2:13am
sidni's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/28/2004 - 09:00

i've never seen that at walmart (although i guess ihaven't been to one in awhile) but that's awesome cuz it is probably so much cheaper... soy nut butter is kind of pricy, huh?
i'm in montreal now and i recently found a soynut butter from this brand: [url="http://www.totallynutfree.ca/"]http://www.totallynutfree.ca/[/url]
It was awesome, my roommate ate half of it, and I survived just fine.

Posted on: Fri, 07/14/2006 - 11:42am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by TinaM:
[b]Well, chalk one up for Wal-Mart! LOL!
I found Great Value Soy Nut Butter today at Wal-Mart. It also states that it's gluten free.
I had to buy some and it does taste good.
Now, if my hubby will let DS try some it would be great.
DH is afraid DS (5) will get it mixed up with the real thing. DS is careful not to eat other people's food. Any ideas on that one????
Sorry, I posted twice by accident!!
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 14, 2006).][/b]
Did you call to find out if it's peanut and tree-nut free? Are there warnings of shared equip on the jar?
I ask b/c the ONLY truly (no shared equip) pn and tn free soybutter I've seen is IMHealthy brand and also the Trader Joe's brand (IMHealthy in disguise).
So, I'm curious what the GV one at Walmart really is??
Adrienne
------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Sat, 07/15/2006 - 2:47am
tidina's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/26/2005 - 09:00

ive only talked to IM healthy and they said they are nut free

Posted on: Sat, 07/15/2006 - 3:25am
ajgauthier's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/13/2005 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by tidina:
[b]ive only talked to IM healthy and they said they are nut free[/b]
yes true - and Trader Joes brand of soybutter (crunchy and natural) is IM Healthy. TJ's pays them to supply it and then TJ's puts their name on it. This was confirmed by TJs for me since I expressed my concern that most of us only trust IM Healthy...then c/s rep told me who supplied it.
Adrienne
------------------
30-something survivor of severe peanut/tree nut allergy

Posted on: Mon, 07/17/2006 - 7:37am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I haven't called yet (since I'm the only one eating it, I was being lazy about calling).
The actual name they give it is "Peanut Free Smooth Soy Butter" This is on the container.
The container says that it is gluten-free, product of Canada and there's an allergy warning of it containing soybeans. No shared eqip. warning (I don't buy shared equip. warning products anyway).
Since GV seems to of labeled everything within 50 feet of peanuts, I'd be surprised if it came anywhere near peanuts! LOL! However, there's an awful lot of CYA out there also.
I'll call and post what they tell me!
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 17, 2006).]
[This message has been edited by TinaM (edited July 17, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 07/18/2006 - 10:50am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I called and talked with "Kerri" at Great Value # is 479-273-4752.
Kerri said that she checked with their supplier and the soy nut butter is 100% peanut free and no possibility of cross-contamination in all of the plant.
I encourage anyone interested to give Kerri a call.

Posted on: Mon, 07/24/2006 - 1:59pm
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

we bought and tried this product from one of our local wal mart stores. i didn't like it as much as sunbutter (creamy), which i find to be thicker and more like pb. i thought the soybutter was more runny like a sauce. i have mixed it well and refrigerated it (upside down) to make it seem thicker. the good news is that my older daughter (non-PA) loves it more than sunbutter and pb so now she has a nice alternative. she's been eating a bit of it every day. way to go wal-mart for starting to carry alternatives to pb!!!!!
now if we can just get them to carry sunbutter, creamy.................

Posted on: Tue, 07/25/2006 - 12:58am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I'm glad your daughter likes it joeybeth.
It is great to have an alternative!
I have bought and tried the sunbutter and I do like the taste, but to me it doesn't taste as much like PB as the soybutter.I can really taste those sunflower seeds in the sunbutter! However, I like sunflower seeds, so that's o.k.
I agree the soybutter is not as thick, but to me it tastes more authentic. Just my opinion and taste buds!

Posted on: Tue, 07/25/2006 - 3:32am
Sarahfran's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/08/2000 - 09:00

Mmmm, I'll have to see if our Wal Mart stocks that--it sure would be a nice alternative to driving so far to get to Trader Joe's for soynut butter!
Sarah

Posted on: Sun, 11/26/2006 - 8:05am
MommyMegan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005 - 09:00

I want to try this..is it in the same aisle as the PB?

Posted on: Mon, 11/27/2006 - 12:52am
tidina's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/26/2005 - 09:00

i really like this, better than peabutter!!

Posted on: Mon, 11/27/2006 - 3:57am
MommyMegan's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/07/2005 - 09:00

I bought this today at HyVee for 4.78 a jar.
My experience is posted on the main board. [img]http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutallergy/smile.gif[/img]
(theI.M. Healthy brand)
[This message has been edited by MommyMegan (edited November 27, 2006).]

Posted on: Tue, 11/28/2006 - 11:58pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

Yes, it's (WalMart brand) right there amidst the PB.
We tried it, but prefer IM Healthy brand.
The WalMart kind had a peanuttier taste, but was toooooo oily (even after sufficient stirring and refrigerating).

Posted on: Wed, 11/29/2006 - 4:06am
stephi13339's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/09/2006 - 09:00

We buy the soybutter at Walmart too. I was so shocked when I saw it the first time. Dh and I don't like it-- it has a weird kind of after taste. We prefer Sunbutter. My oldest non PA dd actually prefers the soybutter to sunbutter. Go figure.

Posted on: Thu, 12/28/2006 - 5:13am
seanmn's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2003 - 09:00

I bought this for the first time today. Can you substitute the peanut butter with the soy nut butter in recipies? I just wanted to make sure before I made something.
Jan

Posted on: Thu, 12/28/2006 - 9:57am
TinaM's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/25/2004 - 09:00

I agree it is oiler, but I usually just stir it in the jar and it's like new again. Just my two cents!
seanm, I haven't tried it in recipes yet. I have been wondering the same thing???

Posted on: Sun, 03/04/2007 - 2:13am
sidni's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/28/2004 - 09:00

i've never seen that at walmart (although i guess ihaven't been to one in awhile) but that's awesome cuz it is probably so much cheaper... soy nut butter is kind of pricy, huh?
i'm in montreal now and i recently found a soynut butter from this brand: [url="http://www.totallynutfree.ca/"]http://www.totallynutfree.ca/[/url]
It was awesome, my roommate ate half of it, and I survived just fine.

More Community Posts

Peanut Free and Nut Free Community

create a new community post
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/14/2019 - 12:56pm
Comments: 0
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/14/2019 - 12:52pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by Italia38 Tue, 10/08/2019 - 12:19pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by Italia38 Tue, 10/08/2019 - 12:18pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/07/2019 - 7:19pm
Comments: 2
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/07/2019 - 7:16pm
Comments: 10
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/07/2019 - 7:13pm
Comments: 13
Latest Post by penelope Mon, 10/07/2019 - 7:10pm
Comments: 9
Latest Post by mom2two Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:03pm
Comments: 18
Latest Post by desmond Mon, 09/16/2019 - 1:00pm
Comments: 1
Latest Post by desmond Mon, 09/16/2019 - 12:58pm
Comments: 19
Latest Post by TeddyCan Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:32pm
Comments: 10
Latest Post by DTurner Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:31pm
Comments: 5
Latest Post by B.M.18 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:30pm
Comments: 3
Latest Post by abolitionist146 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:28pm
Comments: 2
Latest Post by nutfreenyc Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:19pm
Comments: 4
Latest Post by AllergicTeen2 Mon, 09/09/2019 - 4:18pm
Comments: 2

More Articles

You might have wondered if small amounts of an ingredient can be added to a food product without being declared on the food’s label. The FDA...

Is it possible to eat your way to a food allergy cure? Scientists think it’s...

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Not all oils are created equal. Some oils are high in saturated fats or in trans-fatty acids – not good for general health. Some are partially...

It may never be safe to begin feeding peanut butter to your baby or toddler if you have peanut allergies in your family. If either parent or one...

More Articles

More Articles

What is a peanut allergy? It is a reaction that occurs in the body after eating peanuts or peanut...

For those with severe food allergies, flying can be a stressful process. Here are...

Approximately one out of 13 children under age 18 are allergic to at least one food, though many of them will outgrow their allergy by the age of...

Fact 1: Over a third of food allergy reactions happen after the first known oral...

The reason why some people are affected by allergies while others are not begins in their genes. Allergies are passed down from generation to...

Here’s a tip that might someday save your life, or that of a loved one: two to four times a year, review the proper way to use your epinephrine...

Lactose intolerance is the inability to process lactose, a sugar found in milk, caused by the lack of a needed enzyme. Those with lactose...

Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA)

An important part of peanut allergy awareness was enacted on January 1, 2006...

Tomato allergies are very rare. They are a "type 1 allergy," which means a contact allergy. When a person with this type of allergy touches a...

Milk allergies are becoming more common, especially in babies and small children. There is some confusion about what is an allergic reaction and...

Recognizing food allergy in babies or toddlers is not always easy, but there are specific risk factors and signs that parents and other caregivers...

Burlap bags are often used to store and ship coffee beans, potatoes, rice, seeds, nuts, and peanuts. They can be one of the disguised...

People with pollen allergies need to stay away from some foods. If you have allergic rhinitis in the spring or fall, you may not realize that you...

Of course, everyone knows that if you have a peanut allergy that you should avoid peanuts, peanut butter, peanut butter cookies and foods that...

Eating at a nut-free lunch table in school is a safety precaution that causes some students to feel isolated from their peers. Unfortunately,...