Food Allergies not that serious!

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 5:39am
abigailsmoma's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/30/2005 - 09:00

I took my 2 1/2 daughter today to a new allergist. When we got back in the room My husband and I noticed that everything on the walls was about enviromental allergies only. I took him serious pictures of her outbreaks (Of course they were taken after treating her) and he said they were just contact reactions. I wish I new how to load pictures on here so you could see his idea of a contact or friction. He said that her allergist last year was wrong and just trying to scare me. Food allergies are not common and not life threatening!!! He was suprised that I even carried a epi at all times. He went ahead and retested her in our hopes that she had outgrown some of them. Know instead of just soy, peas, peanut, shrimp, cockroach, blue 1 and egg, she has tree nuts, corn, dogs, and mold. He told me not to worry about a mold problem we have just discovered in our fireplace. He said it couldn't affect her. We have a double open sided fireplace.
He also told me that when she had her Anaphylactic reaction that it was not important to go to the doctor or use epi. Even though her airways were closing she would be ok later. Which we all know that if I hadn't got her to the doctor we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He wanted me to give her peanuts to see if she was really allergic. Even though 2 nights ago she broke out from sunmaid raisins produced on a peanut line. I had heard enfough after that.
I could go on and on on more stuff he said but I am just to angry.
I feel helpless confused and tired. I have worked hard to get my husband to undersatnd how serious this is to just be slapped in the face.
I have so many questions now. He said the only way I could tell if she was really allergic is to give her the food and wait and see. If she don't break out she isn't allergic. Is that right? That is not what I been told before. Do I get rid of my dog that I have only had for a couple of months before she gets attached. Will her dog allergy get worse.
I know this is long and alot of spelling wrong sorry just venting quicky!
Help! Help Help!

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 5:44am
solarflare's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/07/2002 - 09:00

Run, don't walk, to a new allergist, even if it means a longer drive to see a competent one.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 6:06am
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

I agree... is this physician AAAI certified? If so, you should report this.
This kind of advice, given to someone who doesn't know better, is definitely malpractice. Sorry- I don't feel like using a euphemism. This guy actually advised you that with peanut anaphylaxis, you [i]did not need to seek emergent care??[/i]
Report him to your state medical board. He shouldn't be taking FA patients if this is how he sees things.
JMO.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 6:13am
turtle's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/10/2004 - 09:00

I am so sorry you had such a bad time. That doctor obviously needs some help. Go find a new allergist right away.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 6:14am
lilpig99's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/22/2005 - 09:00

yes, I agree...RUN to a new allergist. This just goes beyond anything I have ever heard. So completely ridiculous, that I can't even waste anymore typing on him!!!!! ARGH!!!
Ok, about the mold and dog. I recently looked online about molds, as my parents have some in their basement. It is serious...some types of mold are much worse health wise than others. Mold needs moisture to survive. Get rid of the moisture (and keep it away) and you will solve your mold problem. There are many ways to clean it. But DO do something about it...it is not good for anyone to breathe that stuff...especially an atopic child.
My dd age 5, developed her allergy to dogs at age 2ish. Our dog is a K9 dog and we simply cannot get rid of him (as in give away) or I'd do it. She ended up developing asthma from it as well. Since we've moved to a new home, we have the dog contained in our laundry area (with a tile floor) as we call it. She rarely even touches the dog as she'll break out in hives. I am glad now that there is extremely little dander about our new home now. My suggestion, would be to give your dog to someone who can give it a good home. If that is not possible, do your best to contain the dog in one area of the home where your child cannot access and the allergen has a much lesser chance of being spread throughout the home. No fun for the dog really, but your daughters health may demand it.
Most of all,...good luck. It's been a tough day for you with all of the revelations you've had. Keep your chin up!

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 6:56am
2BusyBoys's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/03/2004 - 09:00

[img]http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/surprised/jaw-dropping.gif[/img]
So sorry you had this experience. I agree w/ pp- RUN to another allergist!

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 7:37am
cgroth's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/25/2006 - 09:00

Quote:Originally posted by Corvallis Mom:
[b]I agree... is this physician AAAI certified? If so, you should report this.
This kind of advice, given to someone who doesn't know better, is definitely malpractice.
Report him to your state medical board. He shouldn't be taking FA patients if this is how he sees things.
[/b]
My thoughts exactly.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 9:44am
abigailsmoma's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/30/2005 - 09:00

I went to the AAAAI board and it says his special is Rhinitis, Sinusitis. I guess that explains him not knowing much on food allergies or which food was in what food group.
Thank you all for the support. I of course will not be going back to this doctor. We had taken her about 2 hours away to her first allergist and I thought with as many problems I have had we needed one closer.
He actullay asked me would I like to just put her in a bubble! I told him if that is what I have to do to protect my child I would. The more I think about the day the more steamed I got.
As for the dog and mold thank you. We will be getting the mold issue taken care of right away. The dog is an outdoor dog only. She is bigger then Abby so I usually tie her up when Abby is playing out side. It scares her when she comes running for force and jumps on her.
If anyone can tell me how to post a picture I will post one of reaction.
I am so thankful to have great understanding people like you to talk to.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 1:09pm
abigailsmoma's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/30/2005 - 09:00

I have been researching this Dr. more. I had actually researced his dad instead of him. This Dr. is a Doctor of Osteopathic and Internal Medicine. What is that?

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 1:24pm
joeybeth's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2006 - 09:00

i believe it would mean he's a DO rather than an MD. i think the difference is that one is trained in standard medical school and the other trained in an osteopathic school of medicine. we have many DO's where we live. i'm not sure if one would be better than the other for pediatric allergies.

Posted on: Tue, 06/13/2006 - 4:42pm
Corvallis Mom's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/22/2001 - 09:00

It means he does not have any particular specialty in allergy or immunology, that's what it means.
He's an "internist" or a "general practitioner."

Pages

Forum

Click on one of the categories below to see all forum topics.

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

Cookies are one of life’s little indulgences. And just because you have an allergy or sensitivity to eggs shouldn’t mean that you sit on the...

Soymilk is one of the most popular alternatives to cow’s milk. As well as being rich in fiber, soy is a great source of protein and contains all...

Whether you have a child with a peanut allergy or you are sensitive to packing a nut-free lunch out of concern for other people’s children, it is...

Peanut oil is an inexpensive, healthful and inoffensive way to cook—unless you have a peanut allergy!

Light peanut oil is popular as a...

Olive oil has many benefits and surprisingly few side effects. It is derived from the olive and is popular with people around the world. The...