First Inhalant Reaction Today

Posted on: Wed, 09/15/1999 - 2:32pm
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

We ventured into uncharted territory today. I'd like to hear from any of you who have had inhalant reactions. Today my daughter Jordyn was sitting by someone who had peanuts. She immediately moved, but a while later she started feeling dizzy and her throat was scratchy. Her eyes started getting puffy too. The school followed her protocol (yeah!) and gave her the shot. It was their first time and they didn't leave the shot in long enough to dispense completely, so they gave her the second one as well. The EMS picked her up and had her at the hospital in less than 3 minutes (her school is very close to the hospital). They gave her some antihistimine and observed her for a couple of hours but nothing more eventful happened (thank God). She has always been bothered by the smell, but has never had any signs of reaction before now. I'd be interested in hearing what everyone has to say about inhalant reactions. Thanks!

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 12:58am
SueQ's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/22/1999 - 09:00

pSo sorry to hear about Jordyn's reaction! I don't have any advice, as my 5-year old hasn't had any inhalant reactions and I was hoping it would stay that way! How old is your daughter and has she been exposed to the smell of pn before without reacting? I'm trying to decide how to handle school (starting next year) and how worried about peanut fumes I need to be! I'll watch your replies to this message./p
pGood luck and thank goodness your school emergency plan worked so well! /p
pSue/p

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 3:46am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

pHi Sue, thanks for replying. Jordyn is in 3rd grade and will be 9 this winter. She has never had a reaction to smell. In the past if she would smell peanuts she would say "Yuck!" and then get away as quickly as possible. There have been a couple of times that she started getting nauseous, but nothing more. I think part of the problem may have been that she has been off her Clariten for a few days because she is scheduled to have some allergy testing next week. As a result her nose has been stuffy and she can't smell as well. I'm sure she breathed in alot more peanut 'fumes' than ever before and perhaps that is what triggered the reaction?!?! We did not think that inhalation would be an issue, but I guess we were wrong./p

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 4:24am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

pKWest,/p
pMy son was scheduled for skin testing a month ago and when we went in to have the test done, I had informed his allergist he had been off of his Claritin for 48 hours prior to the testing. The Allergist informed me he had to be off of it for [b]3 weeks[/b] before any testing could be done. Needless to say, it was a waste of both of our time--mine and the doctor's for even showing up./p
pThe Pediatrician had prescribed the Claritin so the Allergist didn't know he was on it. Had he known, his office probably would have called me to make sure he had been off his meds longer than a few days. Even if Benadryl had been given within that 3 weeks, they would have had to reschedule./p
pI would double check with your child's allergist to make sure how long Jordyn is to be off of the Claritin. I would hate what happened to us, happen to you./p
pStay safe./p

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 4:58am
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

pThe Food Allergy Network has a peanut and/or tree nut allergy registry. The types of reactions, onset on allergy, etc. are asked in the enrollment forms. All reactions should be reported to the registry, as the occur. This data base helps the medical researches and experts in the food allergy community (Drs. Sampson, Sicherer, Burkes, to name a few of the experts). I strongly urge you to report the inhalation experience through the registry. The site for the research work is:br /
[url="http://foodallergy.org/research.html"]http://foodallergy.org/research.html[/url]/p

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 6:17am
CathyT's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/1999 - 09:00

pKWest,br /
Glad your daughter is feeling well. I am PA (I'm 37 yrs old, off the charts class 6 allergic), and I also have a PA 2 yr old son.br /
As a child, once I hit around 10 or so, peanut smell started to bother me. It progressively got worse, into adulthood. I'm sure you've read all the theories of why this happens--the full glass theory, puberty, allergic march, etc. The point is, who knows, it just is. Your daughter is old enough to recognize the symptoms--nausea, a "tickle" or "scratch" in the throat and back, and a general uncomfortable feeling. I have found that if I remove myself from the smell, my symptoms will go away (I will take allergy meds if necessary). When I travelled a lot for work, I would keep a handkerchief over my nose when everyone was eating peanuts. It sounds like your daughter is in tune with her allergy, that is the best defense./p

Posted on: Thu, 09/16/1999 - 7:38am
Anonymous's picture
Anonymous (not verified)

pConnie - it's funny that you should say that because that is exactly what happened to us! My daughter was originally scheduled for this test the first week in September, but I found out that she had continued to take her meds (she says they just make her feel so much better). So I called and rescheduled the appointment. To be on the safe side, I put the Claritin up and she hasn't had any since then. Her allergist gave me a take-home sheet about allergy testing and he advocates being off the Claritin at least 5 days prior to testing. She will have been off for 2+ weeks. I hope that will be long enough. Thanks for the input!!/p
pMary - we registered Jordyn on FAN's peanut/tree nut allergy list several months ago, but have never heard anything back from them (the survey said we would). I didn't know there was a place to report each instance of a reaction. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks! /p
p[This message has been edited by KWest (edited September 16, 1999).]/p

Posted on: Fri, 09/17/1999 - 7:49am
keri's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/02/1999 - 09:00

pmy 3 yr old was in the room with a peanut butter sandwich (about 3wks ago) I moved him from 2-3ft away to about 10-15 ft away but he developed hives around his mouth so we left the room and i gave him benydrl which worked but he did need it again in a few hours./p

Posted on: Sat, 09/18/1999 - 7:38am
Lidia's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/25/1999 - 09:00

pMy 3 yr old son was in a room w/ peanut brittle and broke out in hives around his mouth. We gave him Benadryl and that did it. I was always told, whenever there is an reaction Benadryl should be continued for 24 hours after exposure. I am also concerned about the school cafeteria where there will be countless pbj sandwiches. Does anyone know of a test for inhalant sensitivity???/p

Posted on: Tue, 09/28/1999 - 11:51pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

pK. West, for reporting additional reactions to the peanut/tree nut registry, call FAN 1-800-929-4040 and ask for the method they prefer for reporting such reactions to their data base./p

Posted on: Tue, 09/28/1999 - 11:51pm
anonymous's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/28/2009 - 16:42

pK. West, for reporting additional reactions to the peanut/tree nut registry, call FAN 1-800-929-4040 and ask for the method they prefer for reporting such reactions to their data base./p

Pages

Peanut Free Store

More Articles

There are many reasons why you may want to substitute almond flour for wheat flour in recipes. Of course, if you have a...

Are you looking for peanut-free candies as a special treat for a child with...

Do you have a child with peanut allergies and an upcoming birthday? Perhaps you'd like to bake a...

Most nut butters provide all the same benefits: an easy sandwich spread, a great dip for veggies, a fun addition to a smoothie. But not...

Do you have a sweet tooth and more specifically a chocolate craving? Those with peanut allergies must...